The following tips are much needed...please help.

Sorry to make a new thread about this but I really want to get lots of content up at tutorials.unicyclist.com nice and early and I thought more people would read this this way.

I’m going to continue making lots of video tutorials for the site, but it’ll take many months to get through everything I want to cover on my own. I’d really like people to contribute tips or tutorials on the following skills/topics. They don’t have to be anything fancy, just text is fine (although photos and videos are more than more than welcome :)). Here’s what I’d love to get tips on, I’m not saying you’re restricted to these ones though…

Freestyle Skills

• Riding seat in front
  • Riding seat out back
  • One foot riding
  • One foot idling
  • Backwards riding
  • Wheel walking
  • One foot wheel walking
  • Gliding
  • Coasting
  • Spins
  • Piroutettes
  • Seat drags front and back
  • Standup wheel walking
  • Side on side
  • Unispins
  • Kickup mount
  • Other fancy mounts
  • Anything else I’ve missed

Street Skills
We’ll add a section for street stuff I think if we get some contributions…

• Grinding
  • Shifties
  • Foot plants?
  • No footers (I only know of one person doing these)

Trials Skills

• Effective use of the pre-hop
  • Crank grabs
  • Pedal grabs
  • High hopping seat out
  • High hopping seat in
  • Gapping seat out
  • Gapping seat in
  • Maybe something on motivating yourself to do something scary?
  • High rolling hops

MUni Skills

• Picking a good line
  • Rolling out of drops
  • Hopping with any pedal orientation
  • Cross country muni training, motivation, etc.
  • Riding in snow?
  • Northshore riding
  • Effective braking

Obstacle Building

• Anything at all

Miscellaneous

• Anything miscellaneous

Maintenance

• General unicycle maintenance
  • Splined hub maintenance
  • Wheel truing
  • Bearing holder tightness
  • Application of anti-seize/locktite (there you go John :))
  • Cleaning out a water-logged unicycle
  • Seat upgrades, fixes, etc.
  • What tools to pack when out riding?
  • Washing your unicycle
  • Pedal servicing

That’s all I can think of for the most important things. As you can imagine the site’s got a lot of potential but the more content it has from a range of sources, the better it will be.

I know I’m asking a lot, but it has the chance to be really helpful to a lot of unicyclists and I really want to see that happen.

If you’ve got anything to contribute the easiest way is probably just to post it in this thread…or you can email it to me at andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com .

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

I’d love to but I’m not really a great unicyclist. But if I get my grindplates working I’ll show how I made them and stuff.

Yeh, that’d be ideal Robbie. But if you’re willing to give some tips, they’d be more than welcome. Since you haven’t been unicycling for as long as some others (although it has been a while now) the learning process for some of the skills will be fresher in your mind. Use that to your advantage if, you’d like to help.

Thanks.

Re: The following tips are much needed…please help.

an drew_carter wrote:
> If you’ve got anything to contribute the easiest way is probably just to
> post it in this thread…

Questions about how the law relates to unicyclists in different
countries are quite common. I wonder if it might be worth “Law” having
its own section, rather than sticking it in miscellaneous.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Could we use something like this to bring it all together?

http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling

I am no expert in this area but it looks like a good way to share the development of documentation about unicycling.

//\

Danny,
I’ll talk to Peter about that, but I’m not sure it’s neccessary. Law related information seems to me to fit well in miscellaneous given that the site is mainly about tips and tutorials. I have absolutely no doubt that law info is a really helpful addition to the site though. I’ll talk to Peter about it.

Mike,
This site is being created for an assignment that Peter is doing for school. I don’t see any major difference between that layout and Peter’s…am I missing something? Peter’s site will also be able to be formatted exactly how we want it to be and we’ll probably have headings in there and that sort of thing to group together video tutorials, photo analyses, and text, and that sort of thing.

Just a general question, do you think it’s okay to quote what people have posted in r.s.u, etc (and give them full credit) without asking permission first? Because it will require a lot of work otherwise.

Thanks,
Andrew

The big difference is that a wiki, like what mike is pointing at, can be edited by anyone, rather than needing to be maintained all the time. Maintaining sites is great when you’re enthusiastic and starting off on a site, but not so when you’ve had it for a couple of years and need to update something.

They don’t need to be bare and nasty, you can use stylesheets to make your wiki look nice, like this - http://www.unu.nottingham.ac.uk/~pineapple/
and they support things like headings and formatting.

We use one at work to track hard to document information, useful tips etc. and it’s really useful for that, because it’s so quick to update.

To put in videos or images, once they’re in the gallery you can put them into wiki pages. The combination of a gallery and a well setup wiki is pretty similar in power as a full html website and much much easier to add updates to.

The difficult thing about a wiki is that it requires some cgi scripts, so on unicyclist.com would require you to get gilby to install them.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I didn’t notice that. They do seem very useful, but like I said, the design of an original website is part of Peter’s assignment. I know I wouldn’t mind updating the site for many years if Peter can tell me how to do it (once it’s all finished).

John Glazer sent me some great tips on a few different areas. I’m sure they didn’t take him very long to do and they will most likely really help somebody trying to learn those skills. Is nobody else willing to spend two minutes to write tips on something? There are lots to choose from. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Andrew

Check your PM’s. ;).

greets,
Tassilo

Re: The following tips are much needed…please help.

andrew_carter wondered:
> Just a general question, do you think it’s okay to quote what people
> have posted in r.s.u, etc (and give them full credit) without asking
> permission first? Because it will require a lot of work otherwise.

If someone doesn’t set their headers to prevent their posts being cached
by Google then I think it’s fair to assume that their posts are intended
to provide a permanent source of information to others. So yes, I think
it’s OK to quote what people have posted, with credit.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

A wiki is an original website, just one that happens to be editable once it is done. It would be more of a technical challenge to do though, because he’d have to learn a bit about server side stuff and learn what a wiki is and how to integrate one into a website effectively.

unicycling.org is a perfect example of a site that would be better off as a wiki. It’s something like ten years old, it’s got loads of data on there, but pretty much any part of it that can be is a bit out of date, for example the airseat instructions are only for miyata seats, there are no videos of anything, the equipment suggestions are way out of date, there’s practically nothing relating to muni/trials etc. I’ve got some mounting videos in my gallery, if it was a wiki, I could just click on edit this page on the mounting page and then add a link to them. If anyone finds a description that isn’t clear, they can quickly fix it.

The other cool thing about wikis is that things get automatically linked around, for example if you’ve got a page called “Standard Mount” and you put standard mount into your list of freestyle skills, it automatically links it to that page.

Joe

I think there is something very compelling about being able to instantly correct any errors you find on a web site… However I do understand that in Andrew’s case he is trying to assist Peter with a school poject of creating a web site so this thread is more concentrated on helping provide new content for that project (fair enough). I do hope however that a wiki Unicycling book (or what ever it should be called) could grow out of this project.

I also think that the Wiki structure might lend its self to gathering some of the information for Andrew & Peter to use.

Anyone fance giving it a go? Then we can all see what has been contributed & be encouraged to help… Please give it a try anyway here:
http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling

Thanks,
//\

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Andrew

Wow, whoever has written those tips that are up at http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicycling , thanks a lot.

Andrew

YES - everybody add lots of tips to wiki books so me and andrew can link to it on our site, the more tips on there the better our site will get!
TIPS TIPS TIPS

hey andrew.
i’d be willing to do some of the tutorials for street stuff. am i the one you were referring to about no footers? cause im not really doing those down sets yet, just flat ground. i’ve hit some one footers though down 5 and 6 sets. and im pretty good at the footplants and grinding… and footplant to grinds (in jeff groves video spaced out there will be 2 i think). so if you want me to do a few, i probably could. just email me at kevin_mcmullin(at)hotmail(dot)com.

see ya, Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks a lot for the offer, that wouold be greatly, greatly appreciated. I also emailed you.

Okay, I’ll be more specific…

I’ve just spent a few hours searching through unicyclist.com for tips on various areas of unicycling. There are some great ones in there and they’ll be up on the site soon. After doing all that, these are the ones left over. I’ll just start with the freestyle ones for now. Thanks a lot John Glazer, and also the mysterious annonymous person who posted the great ones in the Wikibook thing, for the great tips.

Here’s what I’d really like which wasn’t in the search results…

• Pirouettes (thanks a lot forthe one on spinning…very helpful)
  • Seat on side riding
  • Side Riding
  • Unispins (other than ‘just go for it’ :))
  • Standup wheel walking
  • Tricky mounts

Not so many this time…please help.

Check back at www.freewebs.com/andrewcarter/home.htm in the next few days to see a whole bunch of tips there.

Andrew

Cool site Andrew.

Since I did my 1st semi proper pirouette today, I’m gonna contribute for pirouettes:

• Keep your arms outstretched on both sides
  • ride in tight circles
  • concentrate on moving the pedals smoothly and consistently (no matter what).
  • simultaneously, lock your feet at 3 to 9 and pull your arms in
  • wow, the planet’s spinning around YOU!
  • ride away dizzy

The important tips here were given to me so please don’t thank me for them!

Pete

Thanks a lot Pete! :wink:

Hi Andrew!

Im Pepe, unicyclist form Spain, im doing a similar work on my web, www.monociclos.com, would you mind if i transalate some of your contents to my web??
Of course if I do that, I would say that is your work, I can also put a link to your page or what ever you whant.

Here in Spain, we are a little unicycle comunity, 1% people doin basic trials and free stuff, real unicyclist that like unicycling like an sport, and 99% doing no triks, no trials, no nothing, there is no information, so they don´t know what it is possible to do on a unicycle!!! :frowning: :frowning:

There are no web pages with unicycle related stuff in spanish but mine!

Please reply this telling me what do you think!

Best regards!

Pepe