the diffenence between a 26" and a 29" uni?

Thanks for the offer jtrops…another uni rider in Longmont I thought I was the only one!

Not sure about this weekend with the snow and I am still learning and again with the snow I will be taking at least 2 days off. :frowning:

We can defianatly meet up in about a month when I am actually better and you can try my Coker I am picking up tomorrow!! :smiley:

Thanks for the offer. I would like to try the Coker, but it’s a bit scary to think about. I’ve taken some pretty hard UPD’s off my 29’er, and the Coker is sure to be faster, heavier, higher…

Anyway, I’m probably just coming up with excuses not to buy another unicycle. I’m afraid that I will like it and be forced to justify a fifth unicycle in the house.

When the weather gets better we should definately get together. I’ve been riding alone, or with my 4 year old on his bike. I have run into a couple other riders in Longmont, but they are both into MUni, and not really road riding.

I took my 20" to the inline hockey rink at “the barn park” when I was learning. It was nice because I could ride around and there was always a fence to catch. Also the bike path down by the river was a nice place once I could freemount a little.

Thanks for the quick reply, Kris. I did not realize that all your frames are handmade.

Sorry to hear about your knee, those kinds of injuries can be very devastating.

Matt.

Hey, thanks. Just got back from Moab and the knee was awesome! Two days of fully back to feeling normal riding. Such a relief.

Kris

Good to hear your knee is better…we have to keep unicycles one pro rider healthy.

Kris is right on. A 29er is a big uni, so a 26 is better for smaller folks. I’ve ridden all three sizes (29, 26, 24), been bouncing back and forth between them, recently sold my 29 because I never felt all that comfortable riding it locally because the terrain is a little too technical. I started on a 26, sold it to fund a 24, now I’m looking at getting another 26.

The 26 and 24 are similar, but the 26 has a little more clearance and it flows better across obstacles, maybe even a tad bit easier to manage on climbs as it tracks better. At the same time, as your wheel size grows you lose some quickness, so for tech stuff I really enjoy my 24. The weight difference is small.

Though the guni is expensive, I am on the verge of busting for a KH 26 guni, but man that’s a lot of dough! If only the prices would drop by 50% :roll_eyes:

I don’t ride road, but if that’s where you’re at, then a 29er will make more sense than a 26, esp with a road tire. Though Bondo loves his 36, that really is road machine, esp with if he gets a guni!

You must be happy about that, and you must appreciate your physical therapists and the rest of your “support team” that helped you recover from your knee injury. Thanks for representing the unicycling community as well as you do.

Whats the difference a 29" Nimbus to a KH07 29"? Would the weight be a big difference in road unicycling? I was debating a 26" one but might go for the 29" one even though I have short legs. Seems like its possible!

Weight is a big difference in hill climbing in road unicycling. If you’re ready to buy today, get the $300 KH29, it’s a great deal.

I would definitely get a 29er if you’re planning to do mostly road riding with it.

24 versus 26

I’m learning a lot here, but I still don’t get the difference in performance on a 24 versus a 26 ungeared muni. … or is 29" the way to go for muni? I’m looking to get into off-road riding this summer. I learned to ride last year, can handle a 36" pretty well on the streets, and am trying to learn to idle and hop now (on a 29"). I’m 6’ 3". Does a 26" wheel roll more easily over rough terrain than does a 24"? Is there any difference in maneuverability? I assume the weight difference between a 24 and a 26 is not worth talking about.

advice?

There is not much difference between a 24x3" and a 26x3" MUni; they can ride the same stuff, and it’s mostly a matter of personal preference. Except, there is not a KH 26" currently available (one is planned), so if you’re thinking of buying a KH, you have to go with a 24". The KH is the best MUni on the market, but the Nimbus 26" (with KH crank upgrade) is totally reasonable as well.

A 29" is the way to go for cross-country riding; if you’re doing real MUni, you’ll want a 24x3 or 26x3.

I am mainly a 26" rider but had a 24 for a while. I ride 26X3 with 160s and rode the 24X3 with 150s

The 24 was just a little lighter and was a tad more “flickable”. The speed difference was noticeable to me even though both wheel/crank combos had about the same gain ratio. The 26 just felt more stable to me and had better float and grip in a variety of situations.

The 26 will roll over obstacles a tiny bit better but the 24 will be a tiny bit lighter and lower to the ground making jumping a itty-bit easier. The difference is small but it is there.

I don’t know why people would pick a wheel size based on manufacturer (instead of the other way around) but if you are stuck on KH the KH26 rims and frames were released recently and should be available either not or very shortly. You could get it built up with the parts you actually want.

It still boils down to what terrain you typically ride and your riding style. As a runner I don’t mind feeling a bit “spinny” and as the terrain I ride is typically more advanced XC the 24" w/ 150mm cranks as been ideal for me. Don’t think one can ride any serious distance with the setup? You’d be wrong, I’ve ridden a lot of 20 mile + rides (up to 50 miles) on single track trails with this set up and all in a reasonable amount of time (9 1/2 hours for 50 miles of rolling semi-technical single-track). And I’m about to embark on another solo 12 hour race next month with this set-up. For me it works. For comparision I did start out on a 26x3 set-up with either 150mm or 165mm cranks and I liked it a lot, though it was a cheaper more heavy set up than my current KH24. When I got my 24" it did take some getting used to but soon I found, for the terrain I ride, I was much faster on the 24" than the 26". Now I’m just waiting to buy another 24" rim so I can build my recently bought KH/Schlumpf hub around it then I’ll have the perfect set up for me. So really there is no “one” answer; it’s about terrain, style, etc… This is one reason (but not the only) that most unicyclists end up with a huge collection of unicycles! :wink: