The Best MUNI riders ??

If we get UNICON XV to New Zealand in 2009/2010 then plan on coming to that. There will be lot’s of MUni! We’d like to put together a World 24hr Muni race and proper XC and DH events.

Thanks for the compliment, but I can’t imagine that this is right. With muni/trials/street expanding in so many directions now, I’ve done a lot of soul searching about what the sport really means to me, especially as I’ve now ridden offroad for over 20 years.

For myself, I’m most interested in unstructured, non-competitive, exploratory riding by myself or in small informal groups- new places, hard lines, pushing myself personally but not against others. This doesn’t lend itself very well to comparisions with others. I’d way rather see people talk about what is possible, rather than who is the best.

Kris

You just summed up my life philosophy!

Yeah, I wouldn’t say anyone can really be best at Muni, most respected, or best known maybe. But actually finding, the “best”? I don’t think so. The whole reason I love this sport is because it’s so open for interpretation, everyone does it differesnt. As long as you’re having a good time, challenging yourself and trying new, different lines, you can’t go wrong.

Sean

Yep, I much prefer small groups or riding solo. It’s like if your playing golf with a huge group of 20 players, rather than the standard foursome, it bogs everything down and you just end up waiting forever for your next shot!

Same with stopping to do technical lines. 3 or 4 in a group is no problem, but much more than that everyone waiting to try the same line would take the fun out of it, at least for me.

who cares who the best is??? its about fun

why ask that question…enough said.

I think you might misunderstand me.
A good muni rider “hops” but S/he does it rolling and can do it in any stance. In my riding, I come up to lots of stuff that I need to jump onto. By rolling I think you think I mean riding over it, I’m actually talking about rolling hops which are a lot higher then static hops, look better and are more fun.

If you’ve a rock or tree three feet after the drop and there’s no way to get around them, adapt!!
For examble gap to the rock and ride off, tireplant the tree, whatever. Through some gnarly bike moves into it!!

Improving MUni Skills

I like what Kris had to say very much. It is such a feeling of accomplishment when you can ride over a difficult part of a trail that has been giving you problems for a long time! A large part of the fun in MUni is spending time with a few close friends who also enjoy the sport and exploring new places. It is so cool to be riding on single track in the woods and all of a sudden find a cave or come accross rare flowers or other interesting obtacles. The mastery of the municycle is very important but just getting away from the world, work, wife, offspings or whatever else and enjoying nature wether it be by yourself or with a small group of good friends is also very important.

Goats - You seem to be a good rider and have a lot of passion for the sport. It is to bad that we live so far apart. I would be honored to ride with you!

Unicorn

Alright bear with me here…Muni Cross…(kinda like skiier cross or motocross)

So, here’s the idea…You pace 10 riders at the start of a technical section of downhill, most likely some steep rocky lines and some gaps. Then you let them all go at the same time, just as in skiier cross and snowboard cross. Just imagine that. It would really determine who’ sthe best because you would have to conquer the fastest lines available, while maintaining position and strategy in the group… Most likely a short ball to the wall downhill section to crown a winner. Ballin’

CHALLENGE!!! (I would give anything to see someone blackflip their MUNI off a tree…superman style…and land it and ride the rest of the section!!!Challenge

you would have to have them do it 1 at a time and time them, because I don’t know many trails that have enough room for 10 people to ride and identical rocks all the way across. :wink:

No No man you got it all wrong…not on a single trail but on more of like a ski slope…downhill style…that way you could all be fighting for that fist line…genius…gonna try it with some of my mates once KRISMAS comes around…!!!