The Best Comments

On today’s ride I was reminded of dogbowl when a very tiny little kid on a scooter said,

“Cool! It’s a one-wheel!”

“I’m gonna MUni all around and Coker into town, I’m on a one-wheel

Edit: Maybe the kid has heard the song?

I was recently part of a team of 5 unicyclists in a 24hr mountainbike race and it was pretty cool to hear all the comments from the overtaking bikers.

The words that appreciated the most were from the semi-professional mountain bikers who were really there to win prizes, they seemed to have an extra appreciation for my knack to give them more room than they needed to pass.

I think that most of the really good mountainbikers have seen us “offroad unicyclers” at other events and have come to terms with the concept of it and perhaps that’s why their comments sound that much more sincere, especially towards the end of the event. They just fly past with a non-emphasized and concise “Go Uni” or “Legend”. For me, it was a great atmosphere with everyone on the same team.

Its at these events that you also seem to get the most complimantary remarks coming your way

“you’re going like a freight train”

“passing on your right…” (we hit a well suited unicycle section where I’m able to put the speed on to the max so the biker struggles to keep up) “OK, you’re putting me to shame here”

(some sexy biker girl after chasing me up a steep tree rooted section that I refused to dismount for) “That was amazing, thank you!”

“I’ve heard about you and now I’ve finally seen you…”

As for street riding, I’d call most of the reactions we get around here normal. On the very rare occasion when I have some genius humming the circus theme at me (usually from the safety of a car) I can’t be bothered reacting.

Some people like to be heard, “I SAID YOU LOST YOUR F**KING WHEEL”…

The best comeback for that type of idiot is “I heard you the first time you weren’t funny”

I’m still waiting for the right time to unleash this gem, it’ll have to be used on one of those sinister people who like to appear (to their friends) to be intrigued and yet unwaveringly against the idea of unicycling.
“Is that easy to ride?”
– “Not as easy as your mum” :stuck_out_tongue:

Remind me not to do any races in NZ or the UK. I’d spend the entire time riding on the wrong side of the trail. :slight_smile:

Yes, I got similar in the 24 Hours of Adrenaline last year. Nothing like a smile and a nod from Tinker Juarez, the solo rider favored to win. He had his work cut out for him so I wasn’t expecting words. This while I was walking my Coker up a hill…

No, I effing FOUND one.

I had no chance to reply because he was screaming it from a car like a coward. I’m not sure of what I would of said but I don’t think it would of been friendly.

Has anyone ever had the urge to just run someone down whilst riding? I know it would be awful for the image of unicycling etc. but someone shouted freak at me on the street and i really felt like just bowling straight in to him at max speed, metal pedals flailing. I guess i cn get a little violent at times.

Yes,
I group of kids who thought it was hilarious to throw stones at me. I wanted to knock them down like skittles.

Cathy

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, “shoot me,” they’re just not being verbally expressive enough.

I got a good one riding by the skate park.

“Bunny hop that bitch!”

I then went into the park, shamed some skaters who couldn’t grind a certain rail, and left.

which “circus theme” by the way?

most of the time it’s “entry of the gladiators” which is a fairly complicated tune so I compliment the guy that succeeds in singing that! - I sing the trombone part with him-

While Cokering a 26 mile loop this morning that is very popular with road bicyclists, I could see small group of riders in my rear view mirror following me up a long climb, then they slowly overtook me as we started the descent.
The first one in the pack looked over at me, shaking his head side to side, and said:

“That is just so wrong”

My immediate reply was “But it feels so right!”.

I knew he said it with respect, and I took it as a compliment. I get great comments everytime I do this ride because it is a pretty isolated area and everyone knows if you are there, you are probably doing at least 26 miles. They are always surprised to see a unicyclist in that environment.

Scott

The other day someone just screamed at me out his car window as he drove by. The only thing I could think to do was scream back.

Owned! You meant to write “poseurs” where you wrote “skaters”, right?

I got a group of rabid children chasing me around a park last weekend screaming “how do you do that” repeatedly, and when I rode off I heard one kid yelling “you are so awesome” over and over at the top of his lungs. Rabid, I tell you, foaming at the mouth rabid. Some kids need to be leashed.

Hopping down a staircase last week I passed a couple ladies with their dog-friends (boy-friends would be too much of a compliment to these neanderthals) shouting “fall down! fall down! you’re gonna eat it!” until I made it to the bottom. Then the ladies said “you’re the coolest” and the dogs fell silent. That was the coolest “coolest” I’ve heard yet :slight_smile:

i once got are you Tony Hawk from some very yong kids