the beginning...

elow to you all…

this thread was made with a purpose to find out what was the thing that push you over the edge to get yourself a uni and sit first time on it…

me personaly was the picture of kris holm…i said to myself: that man is crazy…damm i’m crazy too… and since that moment all i wanted is to have my own uni:p

what can i say more? it was love at first sight… :smiley:

My story is based on the love of trail riding. Since I can’t seem to ride mountain bike anymore without causing two of my vertebrea to anger I started taking a fancy to the idea of MUni’ing.

Road riding sucks in my area. It’s not safe and there’s not too much scenery. So far learning to ride MUni has been kind to my neck, if not my shin. I’ve yet to venture onto the trails but it is in my near future. It keeps the neighbors amused too.

well the first that made me get my first uni was when i was in to flatland biking more (still am) i saw a pic of like some crappy torker in a dans comp magazine and i was like dude its another thing to add to my growing list of things…lol.

I was bored one day and i had nothing to do then randomly i thought of getting a uni then that christmas my dad got me one then i found out about trials and stuff.

My dad the hero. Crazy guy, always riding around town. I always hated doing things everyone else did, and so i picked it up off him. There’s also some great MUni trails just behind my house.

Besides, chicks love a guy on unicycle.

1987, I had a vague idea I’d like a unicycle. I was involved in Morris dancing and had a lot of folky friends who performed music and dance, did a bit of juggling, and wore stripey trousers. A unicycle seemed a natural thing to own.

I then saw a unicyclist doing a highwire performance at the Nottingham Riverside Festival. I asked him where to buy one. He gave me details of DM and Pashley. I’d heard of Pashley - a friend had a Pashley Tandem - and I rang them. Result: turns out Halfords (a local chain store) was their retail outlet!

The uni was sold as a UMX which gave me the idea of riding off road.

Then about 4 years ago, I realised I was putting on weight, looked on the internet for a folding bicycle (I have nowhere to keep a proper bicycle) and remembered I had the unicycle in the back shed. A search on the internet revealed this forum and unicycle.uk.com and the rest is hysteria.

I got a SUN for christmas. I am the kind of person who searches every thing to see if theres a extreme group of people so yea.

there was this PBS movie, although I think it’s really BBC, about this kid who is aspires to be a clown, and in it he unicycles around to get places not just to perform as a clown.

About a month after watchign that I came up with the idea to try unicycling. My paretns bought me one for Christmas, and it sat in my shed for almost 3 years before I really made the effort to learn to ride it.

i was out skating and some guy rode buy on a cooker and i was amzed at how big the wheel was so i bought a 24" sun and tacoed the rim

2002, South Lake Tahoe. I was out buying top ramen for dinner (staying in a hotel for my little sister’s swim meet) and i was walking down the street back the the hotel when i see this guy, kinda tall, with blonde hair and glasses, carrying his groceries home on a unicycle, three bags total, using both his arms.

the next week, we went down to the Bay area to visit my aunt, who had a unicycle that she used to ride when she was 14. (she is now 45+) she never really has ridden it since, so she permanently loaned it to me. i learned on it stock, crappy pedals, crappy seat, too-short seatpost and all. then this year i finally totally overhauled it when i started doing tricks. new tire, pedals, saddle, seatpost.

Re: the beginning…

sentlovrenc wrote:

> this thread was made with a purpose to find out what was the thing that
> push you over the edge to get yourself a uni and sit first time on
> it…

Ah, nostalgia.

Back in the eighties in England there were sometimes foreign kids tv
programs dubbed to English and shown under the name of something like
“Friday Night Special”. The opening credits was pigeons flying around as
I remember. These shows were always a bit odd, things like “The Legend
of Tim Tyler” which was about a boy who sold his smile but then tried to
get it back. Anyway, another of these programs was about a boy who
learnt to unicycle and so on. I can’t really remember anything else
about it apart from that it was probably German and that when the school
“bully” had a go on the unicycle he blamed our hero for not being able
to ride. I always tell people that I just always wanted to unicycle, but
I think that may have been an influence.

At scout camp one time there was a circus tent where we could all learn
circus skills. I could already juggle a bit and decided to eschew the
other skills in favour of unicycling. At the end of eight hours of
trying over two days (I counted!), I could go about 20/30 metres on a
quite rough field - this was all the surface we had to learn on. I also
remember a girl who could already unicycle being given a go on a giraffe
and thinking it was the best thing ever :slight_smile:

My parents bought me a 20" red Pashley a while later when I was 15/16.
I only just replaced it after breaking off the axle on one side. Say
what you will about old Pashleys, but I was more than happy with mine
for the nine or so years I had it. I’m even happier with my new Nimbus X
though (so far :slight_smile:

I had my first real contact with other unicyclists at the first juggling
convention I went to, say five or six years ago. Roger from UDC was
there with a Coker. I seem to recall he said there were only six in the
country at the time. Thinking back, that must have been my first ride on
a uni other than a 20" and inside a not too quiet sports hall as well!

As with many things, I wish I’d been more involved earlier on. Ah well.

Roger

Cycling to my department at the university (Computer Science) I saw 5
Physicists (next-door department) practising unihoc for what looked like
the first time. After pausing on my bicycle to tell them they were odd and
that they should google for “Flaming Puck Unicycle Hockey”, I ended up
going on ebay and buying myself one…

We’re planning to challenge them to an interdepartmental unihoc match :slight_smile:

sentlovrenc wrote:

>
> elow to you all…
>
> this thread was made with a purpose to find out what was the thing that
> push you over the edge to get yourself a uni and sit first time on
> it…
>
> me personaly was the picture of kris holm…i said to myself: that man
> is crazy…damm i’m crazy too… and since that moment all i wanted is
> to have my own uni:p
>
> what can i say more? it was love at first sight… :smiley:
>
>
> –
> sentlovrenc - one and only-Diareja
>
> i don’t know what to write in here :expressionless:
> perhaps: Slovenija, od kot lepote tvoje…
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sentlovrenc’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10633
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/43380

In message <dgl63b$f9b$2@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Mark Williamson
<maw48@cam.ac.uk> writes
>Cycling to my department at the university (Computer Science) I saw 5
>Physicists (next-door department) practising unihoc for what looked like
>the first time. After pausing on my bicycle to tell them they were odd and
>that they should google for “Flaming Puck Unicycle Hockey”, I ended up
>going on ebay and buying myself one…

I had cherished the thought that I might have been the only unicycling
physicist. I never knew any unicyclists at Cambridge, physicists or not.

The reason for my starting a few months ago was an office move to a
location with too few car parking spaces for the number of staff. (Doh!
Dumb management!) Thought it would be cool to skate in from the park &
ride, but the path is too rough for inlines. A lunchtime conversation
turned to the possibility of unicycling - so much more fun than using a
b*cycle. The rest is history…

Martin/

Martin E Phillips nb Boden, Splatt Bridge
http://www.g4cio.demon.co.uk martin/at/g4cio/dot/demon/dot/co/dot/uk
Homebrewing, black pudding, boats, morris dancing, ham radio and more!
The Gloucester-Sharpness canal page http://www.glos-sharpness.org.uk

Learning to ride a unicycle was my mid-life crisis. I was looking for something new, different, fun and good exercise…unicycle!! I bought my first unicycle 2 years ago just after I turned 50-years-old.

Re: Re: the beginning…

hehe it is never too late to start uniing:D

It was the last challenge left at the circus club. I’m 40 this year and decided that this was a good time to embrase the challenge.

Cathy

I learned to juggle when I was eight years old, and got pretty good at it. But around the time I turned fifteen I really wanted to learn something new. I knew a lot of jugglers rode unicycles, and I’d always been fascinated by the idea of riding on one wheel, so I thought I would give it a try. I bought a 24" Torker CX off eBay and got started. That was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. (Learning to unicycle that is, not buying a CX.)

I was so hacked off at not learning to juggle ( something to do with be unco-ordinated and bad at catching) at the same speed as everyone else at work* ,that i had a go on a unicycle figuring that as I could ride my bike no hands I should be able to learn this thing even if I couldn’t juggle. It took two weeks of 15 minutes every lunch time before I could get on with the fence ride about 20m on rough grass and get off rather than fall off. I didn;t own my own for another 6 months, I got by on loan unis.

Sarah

• This was 1991 when the Uk had a bit of a juggling craze going on, lierally EVERY ONE I worked with that summer learnt to or could already juggle. There were two people who could uni on the staff as well before i started trying so I got some early pointers from them.

Been looking for a uni for 2 years. LBS had no idea. (last week) Got a phone with internet and here you guys were. 2 days later I gotta Torker DX20. 4 hours (one week) later I made 20 feet 3 times. Cant wait to cruise with a Guinness in one hand and hand out cards to the lasses with the other. I havent felt this good since going 45mph on a longboard. You all have given me hope when I was about to give in. But why didnt anyone tell me about biker shorts before? This might seem like the wrong thread, but this IS the beginning for me. Thanx to all. (Oh and Mikefluke…at least you CAN ride. That puts you above 99% of the rest of the planet no matter how badly they act in public. Me? I cant wait to get crap for riding instead of falling down) Piece to all.

Oscar Wilde said, “Never trust a woman who tells you her true age. If she will tell you that, she will tell you anything.”

Anyway, from what I remember, 39 was fun.