The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

swinging problem

Thank You jojoxie and ezas for encouraging notes :slight_smile:
I have a question ; when I am riding, the unicycle seems to swing/turn every pedal (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpFD7lLzvk
video [starting 1.19 minutes] shows) ;is that normal for a newbie or do I do something wrong; maybe I turn my hips or pedal wrongly, maybe my knees or legs are wide open,etc?. :thinking:
I wish nice week and great ride to all unicyclists :smiley:

I went on a muni ride and did a deep water crossing

Hi Unisiklet,
don’t worry about. It gets less as you become more comfortable and co-ordinated. I have just noticed recently that snake track is getting flatter, one day I will leave a straight trail behind me!
Probably your next major hurdle is sitting on the seat. You will know if you aren’t because your thighs will be killing you, and you will start thinking about doing some extra thigh strengthening exercises :smiley:

I did :stuck_out_tongue:

I think everyone will agree that you just need to increase your distance to one or two km before you find that the seat is hard :roll_eyes: Then you will know you are sitting on the seat.

The thing I have noticed looking around the web is that nobody seems to pay much importance to consciously developing fine co-ordination. Everybody is jumping tall building and all the exciting trick stuff, I just fall off…

I have gone back to just trying to do the basics well, ok and hopping and idling. Currently I’m trying to ride holding hte handle with my left hand, right hand is ok. Then I will go on to holding it with both hands, can’t do it at all at the moment:(

So just keep riding and it will all come. I little deliberate practice of specific skill sets doesn’t hurt either.

Cheers

James

Being able to ride with both hands on the handles (or your hips) is a good skill. It makes you concentrate you corrections in your hips/core muscles. I do it for a few minutes in most of my rides.

One of my beginner achievements that I am most proud of (all while riding my 29) is unbuckle and take off my Camelbak. Then take off my sunglasses and put them in a pocket of the Cambelbak and then put the Camelbak back on and buckle everything back up. Couldn’t do that without independence from my hand/arms while riding.

It was quite the adventure, a fall looming at any second with my hands tangled up in a Camelbak.

Today was supposed to be a riding day for me, my 3rd day after resuming riding, but somewhere along the way I trashed my back, bad. Without Aleve I wouldn’t be sitting here typing this. But I see it as blessing, more time to let my knees adjust to all that I’m doing to them. I’ll ride tomorrow even if I have to take a handful of Aleve.

Hands on hips

[QUOTE=ezas;1397127]
Being able to ride with both hands on the handles (or your hips) is a good skill. It makes you concentrate you corrections in your hips/core muscles. I do it for a few minutes in most of my rides.

Great…I will do this
I need to do something about my arms, they are still doing what they did four months ago (see clip)…hands on hips from now on sweetie.

I’m also working on getting better at having both hands on the handles. Did it on my commute this morning a few times for 75 yards or so at a stretch.

On Friday I got a new Nimbus 24" muni. I put a Maxxis Hookworm tire on it, then used it over the weekend for skills practice. After cutting down my Torker LX 20" for my son, my only unis for practicing skills have been my 29 and 36. Not sure if it was really a lot easier, or just the psychology of it, but I made huge progress working the 24 on hopping, backwards, idling, and off-side free mounts. :slight_smile:

I discovered unicycling at age 36! Perhaps we can form a not-yet-old-man’s unicycling club :slight_smile:

Loving your videos! It’s great to see you persevering. And I’m enjoying the music - who is it?

I’ll join that club! I discovered unicycling at age 38, too! It’s been almost a year since I started practicing regularly and today I did 10 revolutions of one footed backwards riding!

Me too - discovered at 36;now starting to feel competent at 38.

[quote=“jojoxie,post:1891,topic:105209”]

Man that is a beautiful place to ride. I do laps around a municipal airport. I have a nice view though since it’s on a hilltop. It’s on county land so it’s technically open to everyone and is not locked at night, thoughfew lights are on. It’s kind of spooky at night.

A lap is 2.4miles. It’s the only flat land for 30 miles around. The view from there is really nice and there are a couple of cool planes like a Navy T-28 Trojan.

Watched your video. What you are doing with your arms is fine, but yeah you could also get them under control. It really improves your riding and will make it smoother.

I found today I was riding kind of cocked around to one side. So I wrapped my arm around my back and rode like that for awhile to get myself straightened out. Today was my 3rd day back after taking eight weeks off for my knees. So far so good.

I just wanted to say I think your videos are great! It would be awesome if you continue to document your progress in such detail. I think my main piece of advice is to keep a positive attitude and try to enjoy the learning process. Even when it seems like you’re not making progress you actually are and only need to pay more attention to find this out. Like even if your revolution count isn’t increasing maybe you’re a little more stable or learning to step off easier. Relax, don’t push yourself, and have fun! After several months of effort I’m finally seeing results on a trick I’ve been working on (one footed backwards riding), but I enjoyed it every step of the way!

. . . and breakthroughs come after frustrating days.

Today I rode all the way home from work without stopping, the hard way - up and down three hills! Finally my legs are up to it :slight_smile:

Also managed to ride most of the way with my hands in my pockets, which for me has been practically impossible til now.

Dear waalrus,krjames,oak3001 and all friends sharing your experiences;I really appreciate all this information ,recommendations which were gained by not reading but literally experiencing ;falling,sweating,failing,trying different things;searching & doing, by living… also thanks for positive spirit as this forum is giving me energy,motivation and focus and coaching me for this unique purpose; being at the moment,learning balacing and learning to be happy from so small achievements and even being happy if there is no,being just happy to be there and trying…
Today,it was after the rain but i went to park and try to ride, focused on things that this forum recommend me;watch my weight if it was on my seat or not,try to relax…I sometime ride 7-8 rev sometime 3-4; but didnt go there to achieve someting,just smile and enjoy to be with my uni:)

Doing 10-20 hops in a row

4 pallet hops to rubber and very consistent crankgrabs:D I found that the trick to going to rubber off of a crankgrab was to bring the uni up with you, instead of trying to jump and then yank it up.

97 revs

Today I had 97 revolution,first time(till Today my maximum was 25-30 maybe 2 or 3 times)…funny thing is,i couldn’t have 10 revs or more for first 10 minutes and thought I forgot and I was thinking how to do it,etc…the more I think the more nothing happened…That 97 was-I believe just luck,-I start to go and wasnt thinking that much,but just counting my revs and When I reach 90-92 ,I began to think “do 100 so that I can write “today thread”…” I get stressed out and fell 97,arrrgh!..I am sure tomorrow I will go and can’t even ride 10 revs again!!:slight_smile:
It is strange that I cannot control if I can ride more or not; my mind doesnt seem to understand why I can ride or not…but I leave it that way; want to relax and enjoy as this thread teach me to do :smiley:

Become the wheel …

Zen

Zen

“Zen and Art of Unicycle maintenance” :smiley:

a few days ago i…wheelwalked a little farther

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sLMVY0AKc