The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

#2 sounds like a good one, thanks. I might give it a whack today to see where i’m starting from on hops.

Yep! Pretty much. I put a post about it. Taking the plate and screws out made my bone pretty much easily broken for awhile so I had to hide under my bed the last 6 months lol.

I rode my uni the other day. Could ride it 1/3 mile and learned hops! Not rolling hops but on my own standing hops. Just got up to 6. Working on idling and SIF again. Cant get the seat out from my legs but was all over the place. I figured that was a good one because I got sore sitting in the saddle lol. I guess surgery on the seat? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, back finally. Still a beginner but more comfortable now as my arm is in better shape.

I missed my uni! I should skate the bowls again soon. Just been to the rink. I’m so happy! Missed you! How are you doing? You must be really good by now.

Cool, I’m REALLY good at falling! lol. Got that trick down. :p:o

I just landed my first 7" side hop on my 20 lb 24"!!

more leg wraps, hopfully try a 180 unispin tommorow, having trouble with the whole landing on crank things (find the uni alwasy ends up in front of me) but we’ll see what hapens. did some leg wraps, trying to do rolling wrapps but have trouble with the sym cranks. did 7 stairs up (one stair at a time each about 2 cinderblocks on their sides high) working on wheel walks, but still need to start them using a wall. biggest drop=2 and a half feet. working on rolling hops.

I’m impressed that you had the discipline to stay off skates and unicycles while healing. Good for you. I am still a beginner. I do go off road and ride longer distances (25ish miles is my max so far). I just picked up my 9th unicycle. I share them with others though, so having several is a benefit. I have two son-in-laws that ride and a nephew-in-law. I have three unicycles in other places. I rotate between four of my unicycles depending on the activity. I just put up a picture of the proud family in “Post your Unis.”

Since I got the 29" and 36" I have hardly practiced idling or going backwards at all. I pulled out a 20" at school and started to mess around upstairs in the hall. I am no better at any of those skills than when I left off. I think I’ll start working on it early before other staff/students show up.

I will always be a beginner, but it sure is fun.

My son and I tried Unicycle Jousting.

I need to make longer jousting lances, it was more like clubbing.
He took a spill and didn’t get his feet under him because he was
distracted by holding the club. Landed hard on his knees, but
still played his basketball game 15 minutes later - but had to sit
down every time he got his knee bumped.

Next time I’ll make him wear knee pads.

Today i’m OFFICIALLY BACK!

the weather outside is around 0-5*C i can see my breath… so i wear my gloves, scarf, and get coldproof…

i could ride for about 30 mins before i started swimming in my own sweat but to summarize my ride-

1. about 3 km ride.

2. up and down a 20m ~20 deg slope

3. … i gotta rest a bit, change clothes and maybe i’ll go for a spin later. whoa. it feels great to be back in the game :slight_smile:

Today i’m OFFICIALLY BACK!

the weather outside is around 0-5*C i can see my breath… so i wear my gloves, scarf, and get coldproof…

i could ride for about 30 mins before i started swimming in my own sweat but to summarize my ride-

1. about 3 km ride.

2. up and down a 20m ~20 deg slope

3. … i gotta rest a bit, change clothes and maybe i’ll go for a spin later. whoa. it feels great to be back in the game :slight_smile:

DAAAAAMN I FEEL LIKE THE KING OF THE WORLD!

So excited you had to post twice!

not my fault :< i clicked once.

Today I…feel a little depressed and disappointed with my progress. I am in my fifth hour of unsupported riding and the only improvement today has been less start time to get going. In other respects I am going backwards but not in a good way. I seem unable to turn right (I am right footed) without the inevitable UPD. And I felt I was doing so well yesterday…am I simply trying too hard and expecting too much of myself?
In other respects the day has been good, nice sunny weather. A tandem ride followed by a footbike trip this morning and a longboard skate session at lunch time…if only the uni practice had gone well it would have been the perfect day.

Yes! Relax and enjoy yourself! Let your body catch up to what you’re trying to do. Try to release your expectations and stop putting pressure on yourself. My rule of thumb is you’re doing something new that’s frustrating, practice for 15 minutes or so and then move on to something else. It’s always helpful to ride slow and steady in as straight a line as possible.

today I improved some tricks learned yesterday : )

I learned one foot riding and one foot idling in one day :smiley: never tried them before, but not near as hard as I thought it would be (even got the transition back to the pedals pretty well) . . . . though . . . wheel walking IS as hard as I thought it would be, I can usually make about 10 feet, an improvement over half that yesterday! : ) so we’ll see. I still can’t get into a wheel walk, but I’m guessing the one foot idling would be good for that.

hopping progress is slooooow, can’t hop : (

on another note. . . does anybody like a 24 in muni for tricks? I LOVE the way it feels compared to a 20" freestyle uni. Maybe it’s just more solid. . .

today I improved some tricks learned yesterday : )

I learned one foot riding and one foot idling in one day :smiley: never tried them before, but not near as hard as I thought it would be (even got the transition back to the pedals pretty well) . . . . though . . . wheel walking IS as hard as I thought it would be, I can usually make about 10 feet, an improvement over half that yesterday! : ) so we’ll see. I still can’t get into a wheel walk, but I’m guessing the one foot idling would be good for that.

hopping progress is slooooow, can’t hop : (

on another note. . . does anybody like a 24 in muni for tricks? I LOVE the way it feels compared to a 20" freestyle uni. Maybe it’s just more solid. . .

today, i mastered wheel walking and then i did like 4 revs with one-footed wheel walking

Wow, one-footed riding in a day! Congratulations! Took me several weeks of practice. But I enjoyed every minute of it!

I’ve been roller skating some in the parking lots and the rink. :o But I cant afford a serious break again so I had to stop. The dr. said a hard fall and it would shatter. My insurance changed and only pays 80% now and I am very poor so I had no choice. It wasnt fun! But now I can learn again. I’m out of shape so tricks sound good!! I’m still not willing to grow up and just pedal. :stuck_out_tongue: But I have to progress to muni one day.

Glad there are a few other woman around here!!

How do you start practicing one footed riding? I find it hard along a fence because its too slow and when the pedal gets to the bottom I cant get it back up. :o

You start by riding at a moderate speed and whenever you don’t need your foot on the pedal you lift it off for a fraction and put it straight back on, eventually you will get the foot up for longer and longer. Make sure you bring it straight up and onto the crown though, it really helps with balance. Holding onto the fence won’t help at all, you just need to go for it. Good luck! :slight_smile: