The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Today I tried unicycling in a rough road. At first I could hardly manage 2 to 3 pedals but when I got the feel of it I was able ride some times 3 meters, then 5 meters. the longest was about 10 meters long. The length of that road was about 1200 meters including 600 meters of flat asphalt road where I was originally practicing.
It took me me 1 hour to complete the course going then back. Although it was really tiring I enjoyed it and here also I tested my ability to free mount due frequent unplanned dismounts.

Today I had my first crack at unicycle maintenance, I scavenged a spare tube from an abandoned mtb that was over my fence and appear to have succesfully replaced a tube for the first time. I can feel the buckles in the rim but at this stage my riding is so wobbly I figure it doesn’t matter. Feeling much more comfortable on it now after the break, so day four on the uni went great. I’m trying to learn to freemount but I’m thinking my riding isn’t really solid enough to do it yet, I get on but can’t ride away. I seem to have this problem where I end up leaning into a corner (not deliberately, I can’t even turn yet) and I always UPD in this situation, what am I doing wrong here?

I kind of learned to do 3 things at one time when I learned to ride.

1. Learned to mount with pedal straight down
  2. This forced me to learn to do a little hop right at the start, to get my pedals in a good position to go
  3. this forced me to not rely on a wall for balance, and I learned to ride much quicker.

It’s a strange way to learn, but it worked for me. I felt like I had more control of the uni when I mounted that way.

Hey Strings,
What part of Ireland are you from?
Can you post a photo of the rim so we can get an idea of what you mean by ‘buckles’? When I first read your post I figured the rim was unrideable.

Some people learn to freemount sooner, but I wasn’t able to until after I could ride down the street quite a ways. As for turning, that also came later. Whichever side you are leaning to it is a good chance that you are pushing down on that pedal quite a bit harder than the other one. You can try to focus on applying even pressure to both pedals. But for a while if you just stay focused on the most basic things you will get better and be able to focus on other things later. My daughter made up this saying while learning;

Bottom down (weight in saddle, not on pedals) (or butt down if you prefer ;))
Back straight (try to imagine your spine as an extension of the seatpost)
Lean a little forward (while keeping your back straight and weight on saddle)

She would say it over and over in a sing-songy way;
Bottom-down, back-straight, lean-a-little-fooorward!

Hope this helps.

first time in 22 years

i rode a 36 incher for the first time today… i had not ridden a uni in 22 years. i made it around the block on the second try. tomorrow… the world.

Wow that sounds really good for not having ridden in so long. You’ll be cruising like a pro in no time.

Hey NotSoYoungOne
I’m in west Kerry at the moment.

I’ll get a photo of the rim when I find someone with a camera, it’s rideable but I’m thinking it’s fairly dangerous, however I’ll stick with it and I won’t hesitate to get a new one if necessary, I think I’m properly hooked.

Today I managed to freemount about ten times in 4 hours using the “static mount” but I find I can only really do it on a slight decline, your daughter’s little song really helped me out, I understood the point of it, but the humor made it stick. I was riding much further today and managed to pull a (wide) U-turn which I was ecstatic about!

I notice the videos from youtube that most of the unicyclist are riding with lowered seat post. My original seat post was only 20 cm long, for more than 2 months I struggled from that seat post but didn’t learn. so, i decided to make a new seat post. about 38 cm long, in just 2 weeks at about 1 hour a day I learned how to ride (400 meters straight no dismounts). i could ride backwards, I can turn ( only to the right) and I can now free mount.
So, thinking that i already know how to ride, :slight_smile:
Today I lowered down my seat post by about 5 cm, when I tried it, I was amazed :astonished: . I could not free mount, once i made it but i could hardly make 5 pedals. there’s one guy, he saw me that i was struggling. to ride this thing, he said, you must first hold unto railings or walls. my ego was touch, and in my mind i said “who is this guy, i think you didn’t see me riding this thing before”. so i tried and tried it again until i fall on my wrist. (no, not again my wrist is still aching from my last fall). only then i realized that the guy was right. so, i went to my car for some support. then try again. i was able to ride 5 and 10 meters but not controlled its like i’m re learning again. immediately, i adjusted back my seat post higher, because i’m afraid i might totally loose my balance. After setting the seat post back, tried it, now i’m fine again. I made 2 rounds of 400 meters, practice turning, specially left turning.
Today i was able to turn left 2 times. practice riding on rough road.
And the last, today i realized i’m not yet good as i think :o

chin up dude

you are already better than 99.999999999% of the population.

Today I didn’t make any progress but,
Thanks, you made me feel better :slight_smile:

Today I’ve officially spent more time trying to learn to free mount than trying to learn to ride, it’s the most frustrating thing I’ve ever attempted, one session this morning I could do it 2/3 times, this afternoon it’s 1/20… I can’t figure out why I am solid enough at it sometimes and not others.

You’ll probably be able to do it tomorrow if you were doing it 2/3 this morning.

Hi, I have the same experience here. yesterday I got 0/15 try but then I figured out what maybe the reason why. I was wearing safety shoes. As soon as I change to rubber shoes i’m back to 1/3 sometimes 1/5. And also maybe because i’m not wearing my shin guard, I think psychologically it affects me somehow, because I got hits many times when i’m not wearing it but i don’t remember the pedals even touch my legs when i’m wearing it. Here is a sample of me free mounting;

free mounting practice. any advice what i am doing wrong here?

also in learning to ride, I didn’t have bad falls except for one. when i tried to practice in a 1 meter wide gutter that time i have no idea where to practice yet. But in learning to free mount i got many bad falls. sometimes on my butt, one time i nearly kiss the asphalt.

Anyway, Today I manage 3 times on a 400 meters track. I practiced riding in rough road. In my second try, the wheel stop in dead position and i was thrown down. I stretch my hand to lessen the impact but then i remember my wrist which still hurts, so i bend my hand in a way that i fall on my elbow then roll upon reaching the ground. I was lucky this time. i didn’t hurt my wrist again and also today i reach 80 meters riding in rough road :slight_smile:

tuck and roll… very important for any fall… it will keep you from snapping a limb… or wrist. better to roll it out than try to brake it.

Your mount looks great! You just need practice and confidence now. Grabbing the handle can help you as you’re mounting as well.

It looks like you’re falling off the back most of the time. You’ve got to get the unicycle tilted forward to get rolling. I think you need a little more push.

I think it helps to feel the balance point between your body weight and the pressure you put on the back pedal. If you can maintain that balance as you step up, it’s easier to stay under control the whole time, and you won’t take it in the shins so much.

ru60hz, I don’t have any video of me mounting but it looks like we’re doing the same things wrong, I’ve found that trying to lean more into the seat helps sometimes but I guess I just have to get used to that odd feeling of leaning forward toward the ground.

Today I’m going to try to buy cycle shorts in this small rural town… I’m getting far too much chafing from trying to learn to freemount!

I will remember that. It’s hard to say when i’m already on the situation, I guess i was just lucky that day when my body reacted like that trying to protect my wrist.

Thanks Dane M, grabbing the handle is something i haven’t tried yet, i’ll try it.

Yes, i notice that also. Looks like i’m not brave enough to push more forward due to past experience as seen on the last video :o Thanks for the explanation, aarons. It’s nice to have someone with more experienced, Now i’m determined do it.

Thanks to all your comments guys, i’ll keep on posting regarding my progress. And to strings, I think you were right also regarding on leaning forwards.

If your seat is proper height for learning, then grabbing it just until both feet are on the pedals should help. You have the mount though, you just have to find you balance. If you need to, lean a little bit forward, and pedal out of it quick and get your balance.

yeah, i tried it just now. and i was able to mount 3 times in a row in just one try but a bit nervous because one hand is on the seat while i was used to flailing it always on my side for balance or maybe to get ready in case i fall.