The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Dude, sick! :slight_smile: I knew you could get it. I want to see some the next time you make it out to Celebration. :slight_smile:

fixed 24" street uni and finally got it back from the bike shop, 130mm make it sooooo fast :smiley: if its not to icy tommorow im goinna try it for real

Looking forward to it. I can’t make it this time - too much going on. I’ll try to get there next week. I should be much better at them by then :slight_smile:

Today I rode succesfully turned onmy unicycle ( soon to crash afterwards.) I really suck, but I’m getting better.

Welcome

LOL, always nice to see new people to the sport. Welcome to the forums!

Me too, but it gets more enjoyable every time you ride :slight_smile:

Yesterday I forced myself to try freemounting with my left foot instead of right. After a few stumbles I managed a couple of left-footed rolling mounts :smiley:

Me too. Word.

What helps me mount with my left foot is to also switch grip hands

Hi all. I am new to the list (and to unicycling). My 8 year old son got a uni for Christmas and he looked like he was having so much fun I had to go out and buy one for myself. I have had it for a bit over a week and am well and truly addicted. So today was big because I have set myself a goal of commuting on my uni in the next week or so (not that far, only about 5km and flat) and while I can ride up and down my street and steer (more or less) I have really been struggling with free mounting. Today I tried the wheel holding technique I saw referred to here somewhere and bingo. Now I feel I can venture into the world a bit more and not rely on hanging off my Kombi to get rolling. Its a good feeling :slight_smile: My son is still better than me but I am catching up.

So I have a question though. Does this addicted feeling wear off at some point? My poor mountain bike is already looking a bit forlorn hanging in the shed and every spare minute I get I seem to want to jump on the uni and try to do something I couldn’t do yesterday.

Loving this list by the way!

Cheers

Sometimes you hit a learner wall where you get a bit discouraged, but it gets better. And as for biking, well… most of us find biking pretty boring now, and you may find that you’ve lost the ability to ride your bike with no hands haha

Short answer… no.

I have to say though, as a person doing up some trail at Stainburn on Sunday asked if it was harder on one wheel I replied that I didn’t know as I had never done it on two.

I ride a road bike but have never had a mountain bike so never made that progression like many people have done. I can see why people mountain bike and I think I would enjoy XC stuff, going quickly on bridleways up and down mountains etc but I don’t think I’d really enjoy technical mountain biking so much.

mowicus is right. My mountain bike only gets ridden when my father comes over. After two years, I still take the uni everywhere and have no intention of going back to two wheels.
As a kid I rode BMX on the forest trails, full-out all the time. When I trail ride on my uni that feeling is back but on a mountain bike, the feeling never came.

-M

Today I took advantage of the nice weather and rode off campus for the first time to a local park. It was the first “distance” ride I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan on visiting every park in town this semester.

I love riding in parks too Sycamore. So many possibilities, and chances to try new things without having to deal with cars like you would on the road or sidewalks.

Today I hopped sideways 30". The key was to get a good steady stall then lean into it before making the leap. We have 3" high platform that is 24" square that we play around on and I was able to hop over it as well. The 30" hop was not over anything, just on the flat.

today i learnd, actually t ride, i am so happy,i ride in stright line for my whole street,then i went down a little fall9 rally litle, an inch perhaps) but that makes me happy, love this part of the forum, but when i ride, my uni goes left and right, like if i turned, its so anoing

First commute today

I commuted to work on my uni for the first time today. I am pretty stoked because I had a goal of commuting within a month of getting it and I have managed to do it in 2 weeks.

It wasnt a long ride, about 5km each way, and quite flat. I did have one incident though (see photo). It might be time for some shin guards I think.

I also felt like my messenger bag was throwing my balance off a bit and have a sore knee and quad after riding about 10 times as far as I ever have before :slight_smile:

felt great though. I am so hooked!

knarly battle wound man. i like the socks.

I don’t think those are socks, haha

They were socks till one of them came in contact with my Kona flats. Just before my calf did. :frowning: