The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

endurance is hard to measure. can i practice unispins for 2 hours? hell no. my back gets really mad at me. and i have a good back. but i practiced wheelwalking and riding backwards for hours at a time. and i am a runner so its not about cardio or leg strength.

From my point of view: Yes, kid-ish :stuck_out_tongue: - my youngest son got 18 in august :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Sanne

Today I received and assembled my KH 24! :smiley:

Now I gotta wait till christmas before I can ride it :frowning:
No sneaky rides either as the seatpost’s designed for someone 8ft tall so I gotta cut it down a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

Also got my purple plastic pedals for my Koxx 20". Not odyssey twisted PCs but nowhere seemed to have the transparent purple ones in stock so I got some others. Well have to see how they go. They were cheap… It’ll be better than metal ones while I try to bring myself to trying unispins - less painful too.

Rob

Today I - idled 8 times with my “worst” foot!!

Best regards,
Sanne

You are not a slow learner if you are idling already. Nice work.

Have tried and tried and tried idling during the last two years with vere slow progress, so - yes, I’m a slow learner. The same with riding backwards. It has also taken about two years to learn.

Best regards,
Sanne

I half heartedly tried to learning Idling for a long time as well. Then I FINALLY got serious about it. First I worked up the muscles for it by working up to 3 sets of 100 on each leg while holding on to something. Then instead of starting by holding on to something and then letting go when I thought I had the rhythm down, I made myself learn to stall (1/2 idle and ride out of it). Then when I could do that on both sides pretty solid than I went to 1 idle. Then again MADE myself do the same thing on the other side. Same with two idles, than 3. I only counted it as a successful try if I rode out of it. I got up to five on each leg, when I had to take a HUGE break from riding (6 months). It broke my heart to have to stop right when I was close to start having ‘runs’ of idles.

Today was the 1st day since returning to riding that I tried idling again. I only did the 1/2 idles and ‘ride out’ but the knees felt fine. I was pleased at how little I’d lost toward idling after such a long break from riding.

Man it’s good to be back to riding again.

Well a break often seems to help.

I couldn’t ride backwards consistently, then I left it almost 2 weeks then when I tried, I could do it!

Now I wish that would happen for unispins. I suppose I at least have to try them first :smiley:
Well now I have my plastic pedals… hmm
A bit too much snow out but I did notice a massive patch that had been cleared on the field today so perhaps I could go there and try tomorrow. No idea why it was cleared!

Hey ezas,

6 months is a long break. Glad to read your post today. I appreciate the details on what you did to learn, as idling is up on the short-range scanner for me. I like the idea of doing the stall then ride-out. I have done two or three of those so far, but had not connected the dots as that being a great starting point for idling practice.

I started learning about 2 1/2 months ago and it is great to read this thread regularly to see what others are doing. I have another thread called “Learning Journal” (over in Just Conversation) where a bunch of us not so young folks are sharing our learning and having a lot of fun. Come check it out sometime.

Today I did my first nicely executed figure 8’s. I did one or two last week but tonight I was able to string several together after first warming up with several sets of circles each direction.

Good luck on the idling and keep us posted.

1 Like

16 Hours over a few weeks…

Sorry to jump in with back-to-back posts, but I was catching up on this thread backwards…

It was day 16 when I announced victory - I can now ride a Unicycle!! I think I probably averaged about an hour per session, and my ride that I felt ‘counted’ went the length of our street which is about 1/10 mile. I think it took me about 4 weeks to cover the 16 days (hours). So Klas Bil’s number was right on for me.

Nice work on the backward work krjames! On endurance… My longest day so far is 2 hours. Distance running or cycling is much easier! But not nearly as challenging (frustrating at times :o) or satisfying when you break through that next learning plateau.

Keep it up Sanne.Kj. I don’t think you are a slow learner:). If you are, so am I. But who cares.

Well if it’s oldsters I will have to stop by that. I’ve seen that topic mentioned a time or two.

My knees felt just a touch tender today so I took today off from riding. Hard to say if it was the riding that did it. But that has been ongoing. I don’t always feel the irritation when I ride(or do certain exercises). It shows up the next day when I stand up out of a chair or something.

My knees didn’t get this way over night, so I expect it to take some time. I’ll prolly ride tomorrow and see what Monday brings.

Thank you … but I really think that things take time, and my body control is not that good. I also have a little trouble with my right knee, so I can’t ride every day. Normally I ride once or twice a week.

Yeah, exactly. Who cares!! - I normally say that I just begun unicycling 40 years too late :smiley: (I begun when I was 48.)

Best regards,
Sanne

i dropped off a loading dock and did some trials

Committed!

Rob, I’m using the site as a do it or else adventure. If I fail the whole world will know.

Hop??? I do remember using a pogo stick but I think I will be hopping on my face awfully quickly. I’ll give it a shot but I have grave misgivings.

There is a certain comfort level with the sticks even though they are
preventing me from making progress. I’ll give myself two more days with sticks and if I am not off on my own by then I will throw them away.

I did go about 400 yards yesterday but it was all stop and go. I have trouble keeping my knees in and moving smoothly.

It was some 45 years ago I last tried this though I do keep remembering the guys in the circus in San Francisco on twenty foot plus bikes going around the ring.

My intention is to take three separate breaks from my business stuff and do at least 200 yards at each break.
Seems to me the repeated attempts should smooth me out and help me to get rid of the sticks. Today is Tuesday. Thursday is the final stick day if I have not gotten rid of them before that.

I will also pay myself with a Costco Chocolate Cake if I am successful.
I will take it to my old school and share it with one of the teacher’s that
has a birthday on the same day as me.
She’s thirty years younger but we have the same birthday.

Hopping?

Jeff2

Yeah :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re getting there now though.

The stamina riding and longer distance takes some practice as it’s not just about the balance, it’s also about your riding style so you don’t tire yourself out.

Mowcius

Yeah :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re getting there now though.

The stamina riding and longer distance takes some practice as it’s not just about the balance, it’s also about your riding style so you don’t tire yourself out.

Mowcius

Jeff2: Are you riding 400 yds between UPD’s. Or doing 400 yrd total in multiple attempts?

You aren’t going to fail. You want it and you have team unicyclist.com behind you now.

What problem are you having with your knees and riding smoothly?

Progress???

Sanne,

Two years???
Help!
I went my two hundred yards with sticks yesterday and then crawled along the fence. I actually made a bit of progress on the fence.
I’m going to try some higher air pressure today and see if I can get out three different times.
Tomorrow is supposed to be my last day with sticks.
I need to really push it today and tomorrow.

Jeff2

PS: What is idling?

Wednesday!

What are UPD’s?
The parking lot is between two soccer fields. I pretty much go the length of the parking lot and turn around and go back to my car. That’s about 200 yards total.

I have trouble going smoothly. I sort of go one turn and stop and then do another. Once in awhile I can put a couple turns together. Yesterday I went on the fence after I finished my back and forth on the parking lot. There are signs on the fence so you can’t hold on when you reach a sign you can only touch the sign for balance. I was on my own for a bit as I went by the signs.

I am anxious to not break my neck so I am hesitant to just go off into open space.

I keep feeling if I go fast it will be easier to balance. My tire was pretty low yesterday so today i will pump it up high and see if things go better.

Jeff2

PS: Someone said keep your knees together and that seems hard to do.

Ahhh, enfin! We will follow your progress.

good luck! :slight_smile: