The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

I love the KH29", it feels rock solid. It has a Kenda Klaw XT tire, which Darren Bedford told me would be good for both on and off road. I want to be able to ride on trails with it, but I’m not good enough yet. I am also waiting for the magura brake to be shipped so that I can start getting more confident going downhill. As illustrated by my mishap yesterday, I find it quite hard to transition from one type of surface to another - it seems that you need to be able to instantly readjust the pedal pressure to maintain the same speed across the transition. I’ll get there though.:slight_smile:

Wow, 4 and 6 kms! That’s great :smiley: even with an UPD at the end. It still counts! Keep it up!
Do you still get sore knees/legs from a ride like that?

I’m looking forward to being able to ride my uni that far so I can take it to the store or to get the mail.
Last night I did our big block with only a few UPD’s at the 90 deg. corners in the sidewalk. I did manage to nail the last 90 deg. corner though so I was happy about that. I was hoping to do the route on the road as it’s smoother and obviously wider but after the first UPD, I couldn’t get back on and had to continue on the sidewalk.
I tried a few sorta-freemounts where the mount was similar but I had one hand on something and released quickly. I didn’t need too much support but I wouldn’t have made any of them without it. I figure I’ll try mounting like that for a bit and not use my hands once the freemount stops freaking me out. I haven’t got shinguards yet and I’m afraid I’ll bash my shins too badly. :wink:

-M

cbs,
That first video looks like fun, lots of jumps and no real big hills to climb. It looks like it would be a smooth track too. I never rode anything that was so well groomed - we just found or made trails where they wouldn’t get closed or destroyed.

-M

:smiley: today i finally made progress with wheelwalking, 1 foot riding and 180 unispins, i was so happy
for ages (admittedly no more than 30 mins riding a day) ive been stuck at maybe 3 or 4 pushes wheelwalking and 1 rev one foot riding, today i wheelwalked maybe 5m and it felt nice and controlled, i managed to one foot for about 3 revs aswell :D, i also cam really close to landing unispins but i still have trouble landing on the cranks or pedals, i landed on both pedals once, then immediately jumped off as i was leaning back loads for some reason and couldnt save it, i also seem to be able to land on my back pedal pretty well, i cant get my front foot to do the same :frowning:
but today has been a good day

Hi i have learnt to finally jump mount and after another hour 180 mount :sunglasses:
which i suppose is more advanced then trying to mount but i would still say im a beginner :stuck_out_tongue:
I am now trying to 180 unispin and im finding it SO hard! The first problem is i have http://www.einradladen.net/shop/show_product.php/cPath/8/products_id/426 (one of them)
and it is completely massive compared to me so when i try to spin it, it gets caught between my legs :thinking: but i think i have pretty much mastered that problem with doing it in SIF :roll_eyes: but im still finding it hard cause the uncicycle just falls from underneath me when i jump and spin it plus it let me actually push my legs outwards. So far i have planned getting a new slim seat(the kris holm one maybe)but other than that has anyone got any tips?
Thanks, adam

molehill i still cant unispin (almost there) but so far the biggest help for me has been The unispin tutorial to end all unispin questions
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwKvxu4BBc

just have a look/read, you’ll probably get these before me :stuck_out_tongue: im crap

Ali

I’ve read it and everything, thanks for finding it btw and i will try it out now:D

Thanks for that i just looked at them and had a 20min session (in the dark :p) and it has helped a lot!I realised either what i started to do on that session or what i always did which was when i jumped i spun the uni and it swooped right under my legs lol :roll_eyes: and after about 20 tries i can now spin and jump and make the unicycle land infront of me but my feet land on the floor but i will try to get the trick done by tomorrow because im nearly there and my mum is holding some festival thing in this park place so i will practise all day :smiley:
I will race u and whoever masters it first wins XD i might try to put up a video as well :sunglasses:

Well thanks anyway cause i found out that when i spun the unicycle and jumped the unicycle swung between my legs and i never realised but now i jump and spin and it lands right infront of me but im gettin closer:D
Whoever does it first wins
Btw if this is second post of same thing its cause it wasnt posting and i dunno wat happened lol

i’ve been riding for about a week now and have accomplished quite a bit. i can 180 unispin, side hop up 3 pallets and ride for quite a while. i hope to improve my rolling hops and practise riding backwards and idling sometime :slight_smile:

Wow! Impressive! You are learning fast.

Today I went for my first muni ride. The snow is mostly melted and the trails are finally fairly dry. i just couldn’t get a feel for the 29er on rough ground. i would go for a bit then get thrown. I just couldn’t get enough leverage. i was going to change to the 165mm holes on my cranks and try again tonight but my wife and I took a day trip into Alaska and went for a hike so I just didn’t have the legs.

yeah hey, but i’ve practised quite a few hours each day. so what you put in, you get out. sounds like a good place for muni, keep it up :):slight_smile:

nice! i had the same problem with my 180 unispins. i land them occasionally. you just need to try and snap those legs back in and get them on the pedals or cranks. no pain no gain! :slight_smile:

Well i found out last night the unicycle was swing between my legs so now i jump snap legs out and spin uni and uni lands in front of me but feet miss so a bit of practise and it will be done:p

yeah just keep practising and you’ll get them :smiley:

Yes I do, but the more I iterate, the better I tolerate.

I have seen loads of people saying that it took them like half an hour to learn it and i have practised for about 3hours and still im doing the exact same thing =[

I found a old kid bike a chopped it up to make a 15" extension to my daughters 18" uni. The smallest uni I have ever rode was my 26". After a few tries I got it and I laughted the whole time, it goes soooo slow…all I could think is what is the point?! I don’t know if I will ride it again…but now I know what a small uni feels like…I like the big ones.

I went for a MUni ride this morning with the dogs. Most of the trail is very rocky and steep. I ended up pushing the uni more than riding uphill. It frustrates me that I can climb pretty well on pavement now but suck at dirt. I rode most of the way down though. I need to find less technical/steep trails. All the trails I find are too steep or too flat. I’m on my way now to try a trail near my mother’s house (mother’s day and all). This trail is moderate and not real technical so I’m curious how I do.

The BMX videos look like fun but I don’t think we have any tracks near my house. I don’t want to have to travel to do a sport. The Bay Area stinks. Too much population, too many restrictions, and too expensive. At least the weather is great!!!

And here I was thinking that you have some of the greatest cycling trails anywhere from Marin to Santa Cruz! :roll_eyes:

I guess the grass is always greener (or the trails are always better) on the other side of the state.