The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Juggle? Tell jokes? Whistle that circus tune as you ride?

You should be fine, under-5s are a mysterious species anyhow.

Today, I managed to see some improvement in my freemounts, followed by a nice 3-4 rock idle before I had to grab on. Just after that I did 6 or so rocks before grabbing on again…making headway!

Today I rode carrying a bike on my back. OK so it was only a 16" wheel kiddies bike, but I’m not sure I’d have dared try that riding a bike. Have previously ridden the bike carrying my 20" uni on my back, but wanted to have my muni, and figured I was better riding that and carrying the bike than the other way round!

Was kind of difficult adjusting the balance to cope with something which swung slightly as I rode - but not as bad as I thought.

today I went on a MUni ride and Had to much fun :wink:

Nice! I’ve done that before when the downhills were too steep for my kid to ride! It drew some funny looks, that’s for sure.

It’s one of those,“You know you’re a unicycle rider when…” moments. :wink:

AH! i finally mastered 90-90 unispins!! :smiley: I did three consecutive unispins, which is my record. pretty proud of myself. now on to 180 spins!

Pretty boring “trick,” but I’m finally getting the hang of hopping up stairs. For some reason, it has been more difficult than I anticipated.

Over the last 2 months, my MUNI rides (cross country?) have gotten a lot faster, more comfortable, with less fatigue.

On February 7th, I went 2.8 miles in 31 mins (5.4 mph average)

On March 27th, I went 4.5 miles in 39 mins (6.9 mph average) on the same trail loop.

This is with my 24 inch Nimbus with 150mm cranks on a double track wide trail in a state park with a variety of surfaces: hard pack, gravel, roots, sandy loam, mulch, mud puddles, etc with uphills and downhills of less than 30 degree inclines. Pretty tame for MUNI, but I feel pretty good about my progress…

Today I…

… Just got started!

I came to some conclusions.
1: This is was hard.
2: I need padded cycling shorts. My balls were killing me after a half hour!
3: probably need shin guards.

But most importantly, I loved it!

Managed to go backwards at least 15m this morning, I think the improvement is coming from the 145 cranks versus the 127s on my old 24.

Sadly discovered that I have lost the ability to hop with either foot forward. Something I had no trouble doing last year. But I am getting more accurate hopping to or over a point (that’s a relative of course). Using pebbles on the ground as target objects at the moment. Will start of low curbs soon.

Oh well so much for hopping, haven’t done any since above…

I did get down a two step 5 times in a row last week, 5 our of 6 this morning. I found that I should be looking sown at the steps, not straight ahead… I was worried that looking down would just make it easier to tip off the front. Now I will go and look for a three step to try.

I’ve been doing a little muni practice on a track beside a nearby stream, only about 500m long before I lost 50m after a typhoon washed away a bit of the bank. Half an hour ridingup and down the gravel track leaves my legs like rubber, one reason why I don’t go off and do some hopping. Seem to be getting the backing more under control but not getting much further than about 20m. Strange.

Set out to do 50 hops

I pretty much bagged idling. Taking too long to learn… ugh…

So I retooled to hopping. Today I set out to do 50 hops. Once I hit 50 hops the practice session is over…

The first attempt I did 11. Second attempt I did 83. New PR. Session over.

Once I can consistently do 100, I will focus on going into a hop right after the mount, then the ride away. I see people doing it all the time on youtube… they make everything look so easy.

Hopping will help with off road stuff…

the caged fowl is free

Today I finally managed to freeride. After months of practice on a tennis court I finally made it to the streets. At times I felt I was trapped, like a caged fowl, but after weeks of practice I finally earned my freedom.

I must be a slow learner. It took more than 55 hours over 44 practice sessions to get riding. For your entertainment I have posted a video log of my progress on the boards. yet another beginner learning videolog

It’s an exhilarating feeling to ride free; probably the same feeling years ago when the training wheels came off my bike. I still face challenges ahead: free mounting and turning right but for now I can hit the streets.

Thanks to everyone on the forums. Best piece of advice for beginners (besides practice, practice, practice) is to read the forums. There is no such thing as a bad piece of advice on the forums (after all the advice worked for someone) and if you try enough ideas and suggestions you are sure to find something that works for you.

Wow this thread is still goin! So cool!

Good work UNconventIonal, learning new things always gives me such a great sense of satisfaction and self-pride. It’s a good high.

Turning right was a big issue for me as well starting out, but it forced me to learn to lean instead of swivel for all my turns.

I got to ride a new town today, Wich was good for a change of scene and I’ve learnt how to do backfoot grinds, so can now grind both ways, I’ve also got 180 off a ledge to fakie aswell , I’ve had a really productive day

I managed to go through a hopscotch board(?) on my 24inch muni today ive been working on making it through all ten squared for days and Im feeling pretty accomplished :). Did three run throughs before I got too tired to continue.

Today I gapped over a large rock in my non-dominant stance. Was pretty proud of myself.

yesterday the roll back mount started working out for me. I can free mount most of the time now and ride for a block or two through the neighborhood. Working on getting more comfortable and idling right now@!

Today I mounted my 36er a total of 7 out of 8 tries during my 4 mile ride. With variations of static, rolling, and rolling jump mount. I’ve had such better luck mounting my coker now that I removed the old heavy bars and put 150mm cranks on it. All dismounts were planned except for one, to avoid a small child.

Today I rode for the first time in two weeks (I was away for the holidays) and I manage to commute to my house without dismounting, even when three guys jumped in front of me yelling in the attempt to scare me.
I still don’t know what kept me from dismounting and engage a discussion with them, but since I’m not that huge and intimidating, and it was quite late at night, I thought it was better to just keep going.