The Beginners "Today I..." Thread

Rotating the tire like you did is a good idea and should let you get a bit more riding out of it.

I went through the tire on my UDC Club 24" very quickly - most of the wear came during my first few months of learning to ride. The tire was 1.95 with a fairly soft tread. When learning my turns were not very smooth that caused the tire to wear faster than normal.

I also forget that the smallest tyre width I have ridden on is a 2.5" which will make a bit of a difference…

Rotating the cranks is the thing to do though. If it wore out that quickly then you might want to rotate to a different spot every couple of weeks…

Mowcius

Today I worked on my transitions from forwards riding to backwards riding and back again. Now it’s smoooooth and I don’t fall off every time. I just need to work on getting some more distance out of the backwards part now - it’s more of a confidence thing.

I also did a lot of idling (both sides) - it’s fun once you get into it!

I had my first perfect hour ride today

On my 29"

Only needed one mount (1s try)
No UPD’s (rare anyway)
No breaks (stop to talk, etc)
broke 7+ mph Avg for the hour.

And most important I skipped no songs on my MP3 Player. For me I listened to a fairly long series of songs and decided to set not skipping a song as part of my ride.

All in all a good day. Few drops of rain but it never actually started to come down.

Today was the first day I actually tried to pedal faster as much as pedal more smoothly.

I’ve been raising my seat in small increments and as I do I’m riding more on the balls of my feet. Today I learned that by riding on the balls of my feet can flex and this modulates my pedaling much more smoothly than my legs can. In other words it made my lean more consistent and less of those little 1% corrections in back and forth lean and less micro braking while I ride.

I’m looking forward to my next distance/fitness ride (about all I have been doing) so I can get this smoothness thing even more dialed in.

I’m going to leave it an hour ride for awhile and there is two hills that I can add to my ride so I will start working those in to the hour ride. Knees are still a little dicey for hills but the knees continue to improve.

Better start thinking about ordering that brake

Nice i would have to get out of the saddle before an hour was up or i wouldn’t be able to walk for a week! :smiley:

Nice going! That must’ve felt great.

I wouldn’t bother with the expense of a Magura on a road wheel. A V-brake works very well and is simple to maintain and adjust. Check out this thread for how to mount them. The pictures on the first page are down but there are more later in the thread that show everything you need (less than $6 worth of hardware).

Hey that’s what I want to do, get rid of those micro adjustments to balancing. I always feel like I am really just pretending I am in control…
Having discovered that changing a tire is not a ‘hit the quick relesase’ and do your stuff I have had to think about my set up anyway. At least I didn’t put the wheel on back to front, didn’t realise until after I had tightened everything up that it is possible on a uni… Anyway I have moved the seat up another 5mm.
The smooth pedaling is something I definitely want, I’ve had times when I have been riding along and almost stopped for no reason that I could discern, just everythign stopped going, legs etc… Unlike running this is not a game I can daydream while doing yet.
I’m pleased for you yUniKoner, you are doing what I want to do.

Cheers
James

Today I sprained my wrist in a UPD. :frowning:

Thanks. I had already decided that V-brakes was the way for me and I will be using the hardware store method of mounting them since adapters are a beotch to actually find on internet. (I won’t want to use the big center hangar.) I’m pretty good cobbling things together and I’ve got enough OCD that they usually turn out well.

So I don’t need clearance over a fat tire why have extra complexity of hydraulics. Worst that happens with v- brake you tie the broken cable up and finish ride the old fashioned way or at worst walk down hill.

FYI - walking backwards down a hill is more knee friendly if like me you suffer from achy knee syndrome. (pain under kneecap)

today i landed another super wrap :smiley: and i landed a trick that i dont know the name of …

And today I got back up and convinced myself I can still ride. It wasn’t a perfect session of riding, but it was enough to get back on it. :o

UniMD - Good for you. I recently sprained a wrist on a UPD while riding backwards too fast so, I can relate. Fortunately it has healed nicely.

Today I:

Rode backwards for 325 feet! (New record smashing my previous record of 150 feet)

Now I should be close to being able to ride backwards indefinately.

Also recently I made progress towards my goal of doing front spins and backspins.

If anybody’s interested, I asked about front spins and back spins on this thread:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79507&highlight=rockford

Today, I turned. I was able to do laps around a small parking lot in both directions. Turns are slowly becoming smoother as I am able to settle more of my weight into the uni and lean. I also managed to ride down my road, about 300m.

Hi UniMD,
you’re in business now. There’s a thread somewhere for the people who ride 100 miles. In two weeks you will be doing two or three km without a upd (most of the time). Have fun

Still having problems with creaky knees. Found my max seat height because after my last ride the back of my knees were sore. Only 1/8" made the difference. But it also might have been agravated by my really tight calves from doing some knee rehabilitation stuff. Seat didn’t ‘feel’ too high so maybe calves had something to do with it. Either way Im close to my max seat height. A higher seat makes knee movement smaller and engages a different quad muscle. The Vastus Medialis for anyone who cares.

What sucks is the knee stuff keeps me from working on idling since each rev includes a braking action and that really pings the knees. Sigh. But I’m getting there with my exercises and stretches. Just going slower than I had hoped.

Next goal is a flat 10 mile ride.

Congratulations! Keep that pedal wrench handy. Thanks for the links on spins. They can come in handy playing uni bball.

Chondroitin & Glucosamine

I can’t exaggerate how well a Chondroitin & Glucosamine supplement
helped me… (no, I don’t sell them, the link is just to help out)

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Strength-Glucosamine-Chondroitin/dp/B000EOPDC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1276268345&sr=8-2

If you can go to a shorter crank length, that will reduce the range of
motion, but will increase the force required (and vice versa depending
on which is stressing your knees)

It’s pushing (only on hills now) and braking motion, so short cranks=good.

Im at 125’s now. Which I moved down to from 150’s. Not really interested in going shorter than that any time soon. I think that’s a good compromise length between control and riding faster (with smaller knee movement).

Improvement is coming. I’m really just knocking out the last few twinges behind my kneecap now. Hard to even call it ‘pain’ anymore.

Today while riding 29" I took off camelbak, unzipped a pocket, put my sunglasses in pocket, zipped pocket back closed and put camelbak back on (and did up all the straps).

That made me feel good.

Knees felt fairly good. But not quite there yet. Tomorrow will be stretches and exercise.

Yesterday I sneezed and nearly fell off. It didn’t half mess up my balance!