the 2012 NYC Unicycle Festival, September 2,3,4

who is going? New York City!!!

Be aware that this is a three day festival with three separate venues. We had over 300 unicyclist last year at Governors Island and between 100 and 150 at our club meeting the following day. I expect a much larger turn out this year.

the 2012 NYC Unicycle Festival, which will take place on Saturday, September 3 on Governors Island. The NYC UniFest is produced by the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus and is now in its second year (more info at http://nycunifest.com).

I wish I could go. :frowning:

Hey, is that a picture of Gene Pool, the can man on the event site’s homepage? If that’s the same guy, he’s been around for a while. I have an old poster from Transportation Alternatives that has him riding a unicycle naked (from a taseful angle). :slight_smile:

I’ll be there!

Nope. I’ll getting ready for HAWAII!!!:smiley:

What about this year’s Fest?

What a great name! :slight_smile:

Gene was dressed as the can man at last year’s event.

See you there!

I cannot BELIEVE I wrote 2012; CORRECTION: 2011

THIS YEAR!!!

Ken has updated the website with the latest information about the three
day Unicycle Festival. Check it out at.

http://www.newyorkunicycle.com/blog/2011/07/14/the-2011-nyc-unicycle-festival-hot-event/

I hope to see many of you this weekend and most of you one or more
days at the festival.

I’m hoping to come over from North Jersey for the events on Saturday. Anybody have experience taking a trials uni on the train or subway?

Stick it in a garbage bag (or similar) and then it’s just a piece of luggage. :slight_smile:

I really wish I’d known about this sooner. It’s going to be impossible to find a babysitter for that weekend, and if I take my daughter, I will not be able to ride.

Now to decide if it’s worth the 7 hour round trip drive to go watch other people ride around and play. Hmm.

I hope I’ll be there !! Actually Last year ,2010 NY Uni Fest was my first time I start trying unassisted unicycling ;here is the video from last year :this is the area where you practice learning uniycling.I spent 3-4 hours

So I’m excited to attend the 2011 NY Uni Fest :slight_smile:

If you’re not traveling during rush hour you shouldn’t have any trouble. I’ve never had anyone say boo on either NJ Transit or the NYC subway.

For that matter I’ve seen bicycles on the subway during rush hour and while people get testy about it, they mostly just put up with it.

Ohh man, please post this earlier next year so I can arrange the plans and funds!

Help spread the word.
New York City Unicycle Festival
3 Days of One Wheel Madness

What: New York City Unicycle Festival
When: September 2, 3 and 4, 2011
Where: Governors Island, Grant’s Tomb, and Brooklyn Bridge to Coney Island

NYC’s Unicycle Festival will roll across New York City this September. The growing popularity of this quirky pastime, combined with the City’s initiatives to encourage cycling, make this a timely opportunity to celebrate the unicycle. Last year’s festival brought over 300 riders to the Big Apple, even more one wheelers are expected for this year’s event.

The New York City Unicycle Festival takes place September 2-4, 2011:

September 2, 2011 – Brooklyn Unicycle Day. Festivities begin Friday afternoon with a mass ride over the Brooklyn Bridge (3pm) to Grand Army Plaza (4pm) and then to Coney Island (6pm). Expect to witness amazing unicycle displays near Deno’s Wonder Wheel, along the Boardwalk, and around the Cyclone Stadium. This long-distance unicycle ride is being organized by the Unicycle NYC Bridge Tour (unibridgetour.info).

September 3, 2011 – The festival’s main event takes place on Governors Island from 12pm-5pm on Saturday. Activities include races, competitions, exhibitions, and a variety of uncicyle sports inlcuding unicycle basketball, hockey, and football. A special exhibition game between New York’s King Charles Troupe and the Puerto Rican Nationals will be played. For fans of extreme riding, a unicycle trials course will challenge riders throughout the day. World-famous riders will display their skills, and members of the public will have the opportunity to try one-wheel riding.

September 4, 2011 – Join up with the New York Unicycle Club at its traditional meeting ground and time: Grant’s Tomb, 1pm-5pm (newyorkunicycle.com).

Produced by Bindlestiff Family Variety Arts, Inc., the New York City Unicycle Festival brings together recreational riders, world-class performers, mountain and off-road unicycle enthusiasts, mono-wheel vehicle inventors, and thousands of people who have not ridden in umpteen years, along with circus enthusiasts, extreme sports viewers, and anyone seeking an unusual sight–even for NYC!

Free! All ages and abilities welcome.
Find out more at nycunifest.com.

Bindlestiff Family Cirkus
PO Box 1917
New York, NY 10009

1-877-BINDLES info

Today and Tomorrow

It looks like for the entire 3 day event will be great weather for unicycling.

So come on out for all three days if you can. Bring along a friend or two. Anyone interested in unicycling is welcome, even non riders and beginners.

For those riders that plan to participate in the Hell on Wheel Trials coarse, you are reminded and encouraged to bring the required helmet.

Ken S. wrote: Today is the final day of the 2011 New York City Unicycle Festival. The first two were a blast. We had 57 unicyclist cross the Brooklyn Bridge on Friday. Governors Island had a huge turn out of unicyclist with a lot of unicycle activities.

So come on out to today’s meeting at Grant’s Tomb and mingle amongst unicyclist from all over with every type of unicycle imaginable.

For those of you that unfortunately cannot make it, check out the video clips and photographs that I have up uploaded to our Flickr page. The URL address can be found below.

Visit the NY Unicycle Club’s website at http://NewYorkUnicycle.com
NYUC on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/unatics/
NYUC on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/KMCSNY

Any word on whether or not we had enough to break to the uni chain world record on Saturday?

Here are some of the highlights from this year’s festival:

• Brooklyn Unicycle Day featured a 13 mile one wheeled journey across the Brooklyn Bridget to Coney Island. 57 unicyclists took part in the ride across the Brooklyn Bridge, and most kept rolling to complete the 13-mile trek to Coney Island, which culminated in a public display at Deno’s Wonder Wheel.

• The main festival event took place on Governors Island on Saturday, September 3. Activities on Governors Island included unicycle hockey, the Hell on Wheel Trials Course, one wheeled races, a world record attempt, a learn to ride area, an exhibition unicycle basketball game, and more.

• The high energy match pitted NYC’s King Charles Troupe, the world’s most famous unicycle basketball team, against the Puerto Rican All-Stars, ten time world champions. This historic unicycle basketball game ended with the Puerto Rican All-Stars winning by one point, 37 to 36.

• During the three days of one wheeled madness, nearly 400 people participated in the one wheel activities, ranging from professional unicycle riders to individuals and families trying one wheel for the first time. Over 2000 people witnessed the festival.

• The world record attempt set a state record, though not a Guinness world record, with a human unicycle chain featuring 155 unicyclists. We expect another attempt in the next couple of years .

Festival Director Keith Nelson is already making plans for the 2012 NYC Unicycle Festival. If you would like to be part of the planning, please contact him at keiht@bindlestif.org