Thanks to New York Unicycle Club

I attended my first meeting of the New York Unicycle Club this past Sunday. I had a great time and met 3 of the five Davids as well as Andrew (HardcodeCoker). I had a great time and learnt a lot. I’m a new rider and other than some videos, had never seen anyone other than myself ride a unicycle. Being with the group and watching and learning from them was a great experience. Special thanks to David Stone for spending some time teaching me some tips for freemounting. Watching Andrew doing leaning turns on his Coker was also truly amazing. Hoping to see you guys again.
Thanks,

Sergio

As the #1 guy in the London Unicycling Club, I was blown away by the amount of people (and the cool riding area) that the NYUC had when I went there. You are in good hands indeed.

Just make sure you talk to Andrew about what unicycle you should get next!

I’ve never gone to a unicycle meeting and fed 2 rats pizza crusts before!

I met a lot of cool people there, it’s a great place.

Brian: ‘I went to NYC’
Friend: ‘What did you do?’
Brian: ‘I went to a unicycle club meeting and out to dinner with a couple of D’s’
Friend: ’ Any sight seeing?’
Brian: ‘well, there were a couple of rats, and we walked down the stairs of a subway station’

(we had to decide, due to time constraints, whether to go see the Statue of Liberty, or go back to the NYUC meeting. They won!)

Hi Sergio,

I’m glad you found us. The club means so much to me. There are so many nice people in the club and I’ve made so many new friends and had so many good times. Unicycling has enriched my life more than I can possibly put into words. And the New York Unicycle Club has been a big part of that. I wish you the same! See you soon.

Dave (D5)

P.S. - Actually, we have six Davids (and five Andrews). A2’s dad (that’s the dad of Andrew #2) is named David, but he doesn’t ride, so he doesn’t get a David number.

Yes, do ask Andrew. That’s like asking the barber whether you need a haircut! You know the answer before you ask the question! (Sergio: the answer is… Coker)

Those rats usually stay hidden in the bushes. I think they came out because they heard some Canadians were in town, eh?

I’m glad you came to your senses and decided to hang out with us longer instead of going to see Lady Liberty!

I have a hard enough time riding a 20". :astonished: I’m definitely not ready for a Coker yet. Give me a couple of months. In the meantime, I’m debating between a 24" and a 26" for my next uni. I want something that will go a little faster.
D5, where do you live? I’m in Bergen County and I noticed that you live in Northern NJ as well.
Incidentally, your stair hopping was pretty impressive as well.

Sergio

West Milford, but don’t tell anybody. I don’t want everyone on the Internet knowing that. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the stairs compliment. I worked hard for a long time on that! I had a mental block for a long time. I still don’t hop well, but I can at least get up stairs now! It was embarrassing having to get off my MUni and drag it up the stairs (like when riding back from the deli). Now they don’t get in my way because I’ve conquered them.

See you soon!

Re: Thanks to New York Unicycle Club

It was great to meet you, Sergio. You can’t meet a nicer group of people than the members of the NYUC! You will certainly be able to learn a lot faster watching, talking to, and learning from the members of the club… and you’ll have a great time doing it, just like you said in your post (“I had a great time and learnt a lot”)… and that’s what it’s all about! David Stone is the best… he always spends extra time with new members, making them feel welcome and offering excellent advice. I’ll never forget the extremely warm welcome I received from David the first time I came down! I think David Stone was born to be a unicycle club founder/president… I couldn’t imagine anyone being able to do a better job at it! Thanks for the compliments on my riding and I look forward to seeing you at upcoming meetings. Though I may not be able to offer nearly as much helpful advice/information as the other members of the club, feel free to ask me any questions if you want my opinion… I’d be more than happy to help you in any way that I can. Welcome to the club and to the wonderful world of unicycling! By the way… it’s also great to see another fellow club member being active on the forum. I look forward to reading your future posts!
Andrew (HCR)