Thanks for the good advice!

Greetings,

After posting a couple of weeks ago about my muni riding technique I 've taken all the good advice everyone offered (thanks everyone!) and modified my technique.

The most significant change that I’ve made is linking to the saddle more often than before. Pulling hard on the muni grip and pedaling hard over rought terrain. I’m still coming up and off the saddle for larger roots and rocks but for smaller ones, linking to the saddle and pushing hard on the pedals works well. At first I couldn’t ride fast while pulling hard on the saddle but after a few days I could motor along at a goog clip while pulling on the grip. I’m not sure what the hang up was but it seemd that I couldn’t pedal fast while my arm was tensed up from pulling on the saddle? I guess it was a coordination issue.

One observation I made is that standing up and off the pedals for small rolling hills works better than any other technique. A portion of the trail I ride (maybe 70-80 meters) is made up of very small, flat, hard packed rolling hills. Each hill is 1-3 feet deep and it’s like a small roller coaster ride. I find I do my best and fastest rides when I stand up off the saddle and go for it.

I don’t measure my riding times like Mikefule and others on the list, but I know for a fact that the I had the fastest ride ever yesterday. It was one those rides where I was one with the wheel and it was a hoot!

Cheers,
Jason

Re: Thanks for the good advice!

This is interesting. I don’t do MUni but do ride down hills and I find that this is the only time unicycling is rough on my knees. I have found that getting some of my weight off the saddle reduces or eliminates the pain.

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ