Tennis courts are the bomb

This was my first time going more than a lap. Free mounts are still beyond me, but turning is working. I’m finding more of that sweet spot where most of my weight is on the seat and I can relax my legs.
For something this slow looking, I feel like I’ve been sprinting when I get off.
Unicycle one, tennis court zero

11 Likes

nice job, looks like you are well on your way

Tire grab for the free mount. Don’t leave home without it :slight_smile:

I have to ask - What the heck is sticking out of your hind end?

upd off the back - yikes - good way to rack the… :grimacing:

You seem to be doing fine.

Seems like you coulda bought the 36er :sunglasses:

I’ll answer, it is tailbone protection. Really nice to have if you happen to fall off the back.
See George Peck’s video for some good ideas on safety gear.

Well done!

This kind of environment is great to learn. I learned unicycling on an outside basketball court. The ground was hard asphalt though, not rubber-like.

Yes, JimT is right. In my first week I fell off the back and almost broke my elbow and tailbone. Now I always land on my feet but that fall lives on in my mind…hence the butt pad. I’m sure I’ll grow out of it one of these days.

I’m thinking it’s probably normal to be wheezing like a horse after these rides? Perhaps I’m too tense or something. I’m pretty strong on a bicycle, for an old guy, so I guess I just need to build endurance for this sport.

Regarding the 36er, yes, I could have, and may still, get one. But this 29 is already pretty large for bringing a “bike” in the truck on road trips. I like it a lot, great to grow into.

3 Likes

29er is a great size for me, it’s very versatile and is my go-to uni for long rides. You should be able to learn to mount it once your riding evens out, much easier than a 36er. I ride alot in the 7mph range where I train but while touring I will go between 8 and 9 mph once I get rolling on the flats. Once you get the hang of it add a saddle your comfortable with and a touring bar and you will be good to go for distance riding. Good luck

2 Likes

What I’ve found is that you don’t grow out of needing protective gear. Sure, you’ll quickly reach a point where you don’t need it for what you’re doing now, but at that point you’ll have new skills that you’re working on.

2 Likes

You sure are making great progress as you look smooth and controlled and a lot different to previous video on a 20” if I recall correctly👍

1 Like

Looks great!

Don’t forget about your little wheel to practice your mounts and rear dismounts.
You have it so you may as well make it safer when you try new skills on the 29.

Yes, great reminder on the 19. I did get on it last week and could barely ride. It’s so short and wobbly compared to the stable 29er.

But the lower fall factor might be just the ticket. It would be so nice to not be chained to locations with fences to lean on. The free mount thing is a thorn in my side.

Here are a couple videos of free mounting using the tire grab.
This one is on the wheel I learned on - a 26 inch Torker

and the 36 Titan. I was just learning so the dismount is a simple front dump.

1 Like

I’m not sure that I would recommend to learn this mount first. There is several reasons for that.
First of all, if you end up having a handle bar it wouldn’t work anymore, especially on small wheels.
There is also the fact that you might end up jamming your hand in between the frame and the wheel.
And then you are really bent on your uni, and you want to be as straight as possible, so that’s not the best option.

The single good point I see with that method is that it allows to push on the back foot without the wheel going backwards. But I would recommend to learn by putting the back of the wheel on a curb, it has the same advantage without the problems. The best option for me is to use something to hold on, and then learn with it, by putting less and less weight on it.

2 Likes

I recently was teaching someone to ride and looking back on how I finally learned how to free mount I decided to teach her this method. start in grass, put one foot down at 6, doesn’t matter because you will want to learn this with either foot down, any way jump with the other foot with enough force to just flow over the top and land that foot on the ground on the other side while keeping your foot on the down pedal, do this over and over switching feet as you go. I had her do 10 per side and so on once you are comfy with that slow down your jump and touch the top pedal as you go by it with the loose foot, the objective here is to land that foot for a second as you are going over then take it off and land with it. once you can land that second foot and balance for a second move to pavement. you will be surprised how quick you will go from that second of balance to moving forward
I have watch many people do the tire grab mount but honestly I just couldn’t ever do it, I still can’t do it
but you have to try everything until something clicks for you

1 Like

I used the curb mount first and then used the tire grab to set myself free. Curb mount is okay unless you don’t have a curb wherever you fall off. I have never jammed my hand in the frame because when you mount - the hand is moving away from the pinch point - not toward it. These are the only two methods I ever used and it took me 5 weeks of curb mount to get going and just a few more days with tire grab after that.

1 Like

There are many things that are just much easier to learn with a smaller wheel such as riding saddle in front or idling. There’s a reason why almost no one does trials, street or freestyle on larger wheels. Free mounting is a bit different. Certain mounts lend themselves to larger or smaller wheels. A rolling mount for example is easier with a larger wheel. The momentum of the larger wheel allows you to step up on the pedal and into the saddle. When you try it on a smaller wheel your weight will often overpower the wheels momentum. A static mount on the other hand is easier on a smaller wheel.