Tendon woes and thin saddle questions

Hello all! This is my first post on the forums. I’ve been riding a Torker CX since February and I love it! Unfortunately however, an issue has cropped up that may prevent me from riding.

When I do more than a couple short rides a week, my groin tendons get very sore, and I have to stop riding. Chafing on my skin is one thing, but whenever tendons are involved I’m very cautious. At the moment, even a 2-mile ride is probably too much.

I ordered a KH freeride with the air saddle modification and put that on, but I’m not happy with it - it’s a bit more comfortable at first test, but it’s even wider than my old saddle, and I don’t know that it’ll be any better on my tendons. So I may exchange it and try another saddle - perhaps a thinner one. I was thinking about the Fusion Street - any thoughts on that?

P.S. My goal is to do the 6-mile ride up and down Mount Cadillac in Acadia NP, where I’m working for the summer.

Thanks a bunch,
-Nick

I find it hard to imagine this being a tendon problem, but if you’re aiming to do longer rides, then definitely thin is in.

Most of the KH seats have slimmed down since the first generation seats about 5yrs ago, but they still use the same curved base. I tend to like flatter saddles for distance, and thinner.

My favourite set up (aside from using a Stretched out position/Bike Seat) so far is the KH Street Gel saddle with foam cut down in half. I think this year’s version has a wider front section…which I find really annoying, but that could probably also be trimmed. It’s what I used for the Unicycle Hour Record.

FWIW, I’ve found tremendous saddle relief simply by applying a bit of upward tilt to the saddle. I used to have issues with a flat seat, but then I got one of these adjustable seatposts. Just a bit of upward tilt helped tremendously; I sit more on my cheek bones and less on my, uh you know what! Just this bit of tilt has helped, probably far more than the specific saddle type though I seem to prefer the newer KH Fusion Freeride… I think a tiltable seatpost should be more standard than it is (cost issue, obviously); probably dissuades newer folks from thinking they can ride long distances w/o severe saddle soreness!

Make sure your seat is at a good height (not too low or too high), and that you’re wearing a decent pair of padded cycling shorts. Many new riders tend to have their seats several inches too low, though that usually leads to tired legs and knee problems rather than chafing and other saddle problems. For non-technical riding, your knees should get most of the way straight when the pedal is at the bottom.