Tarp shelters for unicycle touring

he mentioned before he just tapes the cord on with duct tape

Oops - I missed that. Thank you.

If you had a small side brace, you could use your wheel/uni for a support to create a cone shape. For a tarp, the lower the pitch the better rain protection.

It will take a little bit to get familiar/expert with using a tarp, but it’s very versatile; much more than a tent.

You might want to make your own tarp from silnylon, I think www.campmor.com might have it. If you do use the uni as a support, then making your own would allow you to tailor it for better pitching.

The cord looks great; be sure it can be melt-sealed on the ends with a match or lighter, so when you cut it it will be well-behaved.

try a hennesey hammock

I camp out for about 5 months out of every year for work. I am in the field from april to november from Northern Michigan to southern Virginia. I occasionally use a tent in cooler weather, but vastly prefer my hammock in warm weather, Water proof, up off the ground and comfortable, no need for a pad, always comfortable, and around 1 kg. hard to beat if you have trees or something to tie it to. I have been using the same one since 2000, it is still in great shape. My sleeping bag is a Feathered Friends Rock Wren. I can get my feet out the bottom of the bag for mobility into and out of the hammock, and can keep it on while making my morning tea under the hammock fly on cold mornings.
Oh, and did I mention these hammocks are inexpensive?

Whoa! This thing looks awesome! How much rain gets in?

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-ultralight.html

I don’t think I will be a fan of the hammock designs. I like to sleep on my side/stomach a lot and that wouldn’t feel too great in a hammock. Also, with air circulating under and above you it is sure to be a lot colder.

They have this thermal blanket thing that apparently works well in cold temperatures. I also wonder about the sleeping on your side thing. Th reviews are very positive, though.

something like an eno doublenest gives you more room and is better for side sleepers, i move around constantly in my sleep, usually sleeping on my back and both sides at some point (i do this on the ground as well, my muscles stiffen up and i move and stretch to get comfortable again).
also, hammocks can easily be as warm as tents, and are better ventilated. in the winter i use a 8x10 rectangular fly, tied out in the middle of the sides with the ends down around the hammock to hold more warmth (extra 8-10 deg. for me). also a closed-cell pad or an underquilt can provide insulation underneath you, i use a regular mummy bag w/ a closed-cell pad for weight, while many hammockers find that they prefer a underquilt wrapped around the bottom of the hammock, and an overquilt on top which is less restrictive than a mummy bag.
for those who sleep face down, or are not comfortable on their side in a traditional hammock, a bridge hammock is an excellent choice:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

i think i’ll puss out and stick with a tent… i like tents better… lol.

I will probably not go the route of a hammock. I’ve never really been comfy in a hammock at all.

I was thinking for a moment of going the route of a really light weight tent, but it is just way more bulk than I can have. I am pretty sure I am going to go the route of the siltarp and just hope that that will hold up for what I need to do. It will be more annoying to set up, but at 1 pound and a really small pack size…you can’t go wrong!

I also think I am going to go the route of the 32F ultralamina synthetic bag, and use a thermolite liner (adds 15F supposively).

sounds like a solid setup to me, i think you will be quite happy with it!

I sleep mostly on my side, the hammock is quite comfortable like that.
I rarely have any trouble with rain getting in, it mostly happens when I do not set up they fly :slight_smile: and go to sleep stargazing. I only takes about a minute to put it up if that happens though.
It is colder than a tent and in the early Spring and Fall I use a tent.

i’m with you bro, but i guess we can’t win em’ all over. :frowning:
i personally won’t sleep on the ground again 'till they stop making trees, lol.
(maybe then we can figure out how to make some type of extremely light support poles :slight_smile: )

Some people are hard to convince.
They will see me set it up (meanwhile they have unrolled their sleeping pad so it can inflate, and have started putting their poles together) and think it looks weird.
If they actually try it out though they love it, I guess it is kind of like a unicycle :slight_smile:

It would definitely be something I would have to try out, but I still don’t think I could get comfy in a hammock considering most hammocks (that aren’t camping related even) aren’t comfortable to me.

i find my camping hammock is much more comfortable than the yard types, and you may want to check out bridge hammocks, which allow you to sleep perfectly flat.
http://216.83.168.206/index_files/BMBH.htm
i personally prefer something like the eno doublenest, because it allows me more room to move around, and they are pretty inexpensive, so it’s a great way to find out if you can be comfortable in a hammock. one of the keys to having a comfortable night is having the right amount of sag in the lines. many people use a ridgeline to assure they have the same tension every time.
heres the best hammock resource around
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=192

Another possibility is light weight tent sans inner tent. You only bring shell and poles. It will keep you dry even when it gets windy and rain comes horizontally. This way you can get something below one kilo without having to sell the cat.

I still say you should get a Tarptent Contrail. http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html
At 696 grams it´s light enough. You´ll want the bug protection in Scandinavia anyway.

It looks like I´ll be carrying a 5mm wetsuit, monofin, and various other freediving equipment when I unicycle to Unicon. That sadly means that camping is out of the question because of weight issues. But I´m still planning on unicycling most of the way there, and It would be nice to meet up somewhere along the road!

I have been looking at that tent since you posted it a while back.

It does look very nice and light, but it is still a half pound heavier and the packing size is a little less than double the size of just a siltarp. 14 x 4in vs 8 x 4in. The bulk is a bit more of concern than the weight, but I recently acquired a seat post mounted rack so bulk might not be an issue.

I still have not bought the tarp yet, but I am in the process of acquiring my gear now. If I were to go with a tent, the tarp tent contrail would probably be it since it looks nice and light. I have a lot of deciding to do in the next week or two. I don’t think bugs will be too much of an issue for me though, and if they are, I will just get in my sleeping bag or liner and put the hood up so they cant get me (well except my face).

So far my sleep/shelter weight is going to be:
Ultralamina 32F synthetic bag - < 2 pounds
thermolite liner - .5 pound
therm-a-rest ridgerest short sleeping pad - .5 pound

That puts me at about 3 pounds already, now I just need to figure out the shelter. No matter what I decide to go with, my sleep/shelter will be under 5 pounds, which is pretty good.

If you don’t get a tent with insect protection, you should at least consider getting a mosquito headnet so you can put it over your head if the bugs get bad. I used to carry one in my bag when I went bicycle camping without a tent. There were several times when I was really glad I had the headnet at night.