Tandem Unicycle in Popular Mechanics (September, 2010)

Is that because you can literally push or pull the other person to shift the balance, much like when I’m carrying a load of groceries on my unicycle, sometimes my arm is away from my body or close, ahead of me or at my side, to counterbalance?

So, is this the future of family transportation without a car?

(Might wanna put some blinds around though if you go “parking” with your bf/gf.

Parking :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice one Corbin :smiley: How is it that you came to be in the mag. Did someone from PM see your website?

I’ve seen a photo of seesaw bike and it reminds me your tandem uni.

more at:

side-by-side tandem?

Would a side-by-side tandem uni, same idea as this bike, be rideable?

200px-Sociable_1.jpg

Anything’s rideable, it’s just a question of how good you have to be to do it.

I have a feeling that a side-by-side tandem uni might be easier to ride than a front-back tandem uni. Although it’s a lot harder to engineer.

Great article Corbin! It’s really well done.

I have seen some episodes of Weird Homes, but not yours (might be hard to find).

-It was great to meet everyone in Vancouver, thanks everybody for an epic weekend

Really? I’d have expected it to be easier to engineer - take a standard uni, weld a bit onto the frame to provide double seat supports (or you could even leave the frame alone and just have a doubler seatpost), custom cranks exactly the same as on that bike. In fact you could probably take the cranks and seatpost straight off that bike to fit to a standard uni. Lots of extra frame and chain drive stuff on a “conventional” tandem uni.

I should note that I resurrected this thread having found it when searching for images of tandem unicycles, after somebody posted the see-saw bike pic on another forum.

It could be, but if it is, only a tiny bit: as you’re both in control, moving your or the others’ body is only making things harder, it disturbs the other and that disturbance will disturb yourself again (at least in the beginning).
I can only speak for myself, but like a solo-unicycle; it’s easier while sitting up straight and making your balance from speed - in stead of upper body / arm movements.

It seems like it would be easier, but it would still take a ton of practice.

Not really, but it would be difficult to make strong enough.

I’d be curious if this might be a helpful solution on a tandem unicycle setup.

Might be hard to coordinate but would keep everything centered over the one wheel.

Speaking of tandems, the CEO of Vigurvant is Kristjan Holm, whose slightly longer signature is on every pedal.

Bridging the gap. 40k ride this afternnon

Nice pic, did you mean this for the pictures of your latest ride thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

Dsylexia set in and I wasn’t watching where picture went, now if there had been two wheels in the picture I would have been ok.

Well, if life gives you melons you might be dyslexic. :wink: