Taking a unicycle vert??

I have ridden in half pipes, my friend down the street has on in his back yard. Its 4-5’ I think. I have dropped in and crankflipped and unispun (unispinned?) on the sides. Getting air is a different story though.

its unispun, but did it have vert, and could you hit it if it did?

It wasn’t vert as in vertical, just a mini ramp.

hmm

i just talked to a friend who tried it and he said that he could get to the vert, but when he did he lost balance

i don’t think he was going very fast tho, I think you would have to be going really fast for centripital force to work on a unicycle

Here’s a video of my attempts and eventual success on the two miniramps Hardcorecokerrider mentioned (it was on a 24" gazz). edit: with 145 cranks.

Some of the shots towards the end show my body’s angle on the ramp (1:07 into the video). I think my biggest hinderance on ramps is a fear of not being upright, though since the object on these ramps was to simply get to the flat on top of them, I may have subconsciously kept my torso veritcal to minimize the amount of swing necessary when rounding the coping.

Wheel slippage was a big factor on the top 6" or so of the ramp. I’m not sure if letting myself go more horizontal would’ve helped that, but it would definately be an issue on a true vert ramp. Slippage isn’t something skateboards or bikes have to worry about since their wheels aren’t “driven” on the way up the ramp.

Anyhow, good luck, and be prepared for a lot of practice!

i dont think its about uni’s and vert as much as it is BC with vert… with some sick practice bc would defiantley work in a vert…

Chase

again…

yeah very true, but that would be a completely different story … the bc would be much more manuverable than a unicycle and if we could get the vert on a unicycle we would start pulling some sick stuff , not as awesome as the BC , but you never know … there has to be a way to do this, even if we have to downsize a ramp.
and make … say a 5’ ramp w/ about 6" of vert??
and i don’t think slippage would be a problem because your momentum will still be going forward (the same reason you would be perpendicular to the vert face)

I WANT TO TRY THIS
its makin me kinda mad … i need sum1 to go w/ me tho cuz the nearest vert ramp is 5 miles away (i would have to ride) and it would suck if i was the only one there

after pedeling up 5’ of quarter pipe, my momentum was gone. wheel slipage is a giant problem. i think the better uni choice would be a 3’ kiddy-pipe with no vert, just very sloped. (just came to me) if you fall down you’re 5’ pipe with 6" vert, you’re not going to slip down the ramp like a skater, you’re going to bottom out and a uni may hit you in the head. if you get out to that ramp, wear all the pads you can find, and maybe stuff your shirt with pillows. and do not even attempt that if you can’t film it and let us watch. same goes for all of you. there’s no reason you can’t film half pipe attempts, ask some stakers mom to hold a camera while you throw yourself off the lip, if she asks why, tell her that your life just isn’t worth living anymore. good luck though.

im curious now … how fast do you have to go on a bike to catch air out of a 5’ 1/2 pipe? idk … i need some short cranks… I have access to some … but one is stripped out

5’ halfpipes dont have any vert (if there made a wood. some concrete bowls might have a little bit of vert for 5’). the video you were talking about at the top of the page wasnt a vert ramp.

I remember seeing a video of alex toms (tomsey) attempting to drop into a vert ramp (vert ramps are usually 8+ feet) and he never even successfully got it (on the video at least).

Im guessing alot of stuff could be done on halfpipes 4-5 feet (mini-ramps) and under but i doubt anyone will beable to do much on vert.

im prity shore it was a 12ft halfpipe
and i have seen vert ramps as small as 4 feet. there size dosint make them vert ramps wether they go vertical or not dose

i want to try on a ramp like the 4 foot one because you would be able to do it w/ less speed … but balancing on the way up it is a diff story because it would be that much harder
and im going to (re??) invent a unicycle w/ a freaking motor so that speed is no problem whatsoever

Only way you’re getting air off a vert ramp with anything on one wheel is a BC wheel. Both BMXes and skateboards use a technique called ‘pumping’ to get speed and thus air in a halfpipe. You can’t pump a unicycle, because it has to be driven all the time, thus the extra speed you’re getting from the pumping is being fed back through the pedals, and you have to spin your feet faster. You can however pump a BC wheel, because it’s not driven. The extra speed you’re getting here is just being fed into the wheel (and you).

Personally, I’d think it’s seriously hard for anything on one wheel to get air, but that’s just me.

Use a coasting unicycle. Good luck though.

arent those really hard to make(or find) & ride

I dont know how to make one, but that would probably be your best bet. Maybe you can get your 20" up the ramp though. Good luck!