T-Bar Virgin No More!

Hey…this weekend I’ll make a short video. Don’t trust it too much, though, I’m very new at this. :o

To me it seemed obvious, but I’m sure you’re right. Forget I said anything…:wink:

<sarcasm>Take it easy, Mr. Confrontational.</sarcasm> :wink:

NOOOO! My friend ended up selling his BMW because he had so many problems, my older Suzy is still running strong. :slight_smile:

But that doesn’t mean don’t get a KH, they’re great.

Hot damn! Shaved even more time off the commute this am. Took a 14-mile variation and finished 25 mins earlier than I was riding the same course un-t-barred. :wink: Second ride felt way better, and I can pretty much hold on two-handed forever as long as the camber isn’t wacky…and turns are still one-handed, hopefully not for too much longer. Totally looking forward to hopping on the 36, because now I can plainly see where this is heading, and it’s a place I definitely wanna go!
btw: took my second phone call on the uni today. hahahaha my MP3 player’s battery pooped out early in the ride, so I could hear my phone when it went off. I reached around and unzipped a pocket on the hydration pack, snagged the phone and chatted for awhile. no danger, since I was on the bike path section of the course–wouldn’t try it on the actual road (maybe :D).
A t-bar learner’s observation: for me, going two-handed at this stage seems to have a psychological component, that is, if there’s anything scary in the environment, forget it. example: there’s a perfectly flat, smooth one-mile section on the route and I should be able to 2-hand it no prob, but it’s a six-inch shoulder with traffic on one side and a hideous, unimproved gravel shoulder on the other, and I just can’t bring myself to get both hands on the bar. The other sections have little traffic and are nice and wide so I can fly! So cool… Oh, and for some reason, this new riding position eliminated my knee strain–bonus!

I rode my KH T Bar on 36er for muni and pulled up hard, just like I would on a grab handle. It was a bit akward because the bar ends are offset, but I adjusted just fine.

I installed a T Bar to increase my leverage when riding and to rest my legs/body on long rides.

I took off the handle for a few reasons:

I never took advantage of two handed riding, I tried to use it but for muni but it was too akward.
I hit my leg on the handles while pedaling out of the seat, as a result I maintained bruises on the inside of both legs; I even narrowed the handle
I found the T Bar to be more flexy than my custom handle.
I didn’t find the T Bar helped with leverage or resting.

Yeah…I checked out one of the threads about muni setups, and it seems the bar / handle configs for muni are generally different from those for exclusive road riders, the muni handles being much more stout and shorter–makes sense I spoze. Interesting. Thanx.

I use the KH T-bar on my KH 29" and the Shadow handle on my Nimbus 36". I think a handlebar helps a lot when climbing hills. I can have a more upright body position, and it also stabilizes the wheel helping me to keep my balance.

You are right, I do get som ache in my lower back from pulling the handlebar. But I think that if I am more conscious of my body position and keep my back straight it will be better. Removing the handlebars is not an option.

The T Bar is not bad, you can set it up with a center grip with the twin bar ends set out a little further to make room for your hand. I found it far to flexy for how hard I was pullin up, and it’s set pretty low under the seat.

I cut down the seat mount for my T Bar and made it fixed, this reduced the flex somewhat and positioned the bar closer to the seat, but I still like my custom muni bar better :slight_smile:

I think if Kris went to a one piece welded mount that positioned the bar closer to the seat, maybe even offer an optional muni mount with a single bent bar, the concept could be improved upon.

I’m going to start making custom muni bars this next Summer, just waiting on my wife to finish college so I can buy a TIG welder. I’m looking at stainless steel for the mount and the bar ends, might even make a triple bar end that looks like triton :smiley:

BTW, my design is not trademarked, so if anyone wants to make one, needs some ideas, pics, or whatever, just let me know; there is a custom bar thread in the reviews forum.

@yooneenoob, ya know I’m just messing with ya :wink:

Did you mean a trident? That would be cool! :smiley:

Do not :roll_eyes:

Umm, yeah, what he said :stuck_out_tongue:

Another thing to consider in terms of flex is the seat base and the seat post. The non adjustable posts are stiffer and of the adjustable posts, the forged KH and Thomson are stiffer. A newer seat with a stiffener plate of a carbon fiber base are going to be the stiffest set up.

I suppose if you ride road and just want a place to rest your hands, either the KH or Nimbus bars are fine, but for real muni the two handed position is kinda akward and the dual bar ends get in the way.

hack off one bar?