T bar set up and pictures

Thank you for your insight.

My “T-bar” setup - similar to Flansberry’s asymmetric mini T-bars. This is also in the diy handlebar thread, but I think parts of what I did and my logic behind it can be applied to standard KH T-Bar setups.

For technical Muni I’m a fan of sitting upright and not having a big bar in the way if (and when) I need to bail of the uni. Also, I can pull hard on this without the seat ending up somewhere far behind my butt. It’s slighty higher than the plastic handle would be, which I think works out pretty well, I don’t have to bend my upper body as much forward when standing up (in jumps or when riding uphill).
My right hand is pretty much permanently on the handle, I put my left hand on in addition when I ride fast on flat bits for stability (Or when my seat get’s uncomfortable and I need to switch up my seating position). On uphills I’ll sometimes use my left hand to give the right arm a break, and I can also still reach the brake with my left, so on a long non technical decent I can also give my right arm a break there.
Overall, this is the first setup that I prefer over the plastic handle for technical muni. Having something to grip around really makes it nicer to hold, which means my hand is more relaxed. (Which in turn I think also helps to seperate pulling on the handle vs. modulating the brake, which I think is the most common problem beginner downhill riders have)

1 Like

This is my setup for Muni:

3 Likes

Why did you keep the handle of the saddle? Can you grab it with this setup? :thinking:
And what is this “Gusset” piece?

This is the setup I found to be the most natural. Braking hand is on an angle. You can brake with your index while maintaining a closed grip. Much more brake control on tricky terrain!

Edit: Mine is not adjustable because I found my sweet spot. The ones I sell are adjustable in length.

1 Like

Just click on the image to expand it, and then right click the expanded image and press “Copy Image”. Proof of method :slight_smile::

1 Like

This is the Shadow setup on my 24". (okay, not t t-bar / I am thread jacking) Great for climbing steep hills. Two sets of bar ends, one facing forward, one facing back and under the saddle. I am using the straight Shadow extension. I push and pull really hard on the setup. Before using the Shadow, I had the KH T-bar, and I could not tighten it enough to stop it from moving. When I look at some of the other riders’ longer T-bar setups, I have no idea how they keep them stationary.

This has prompted me to buy another T bar for my 36er. Kinda excited to play around with a T bar setup again :grin:

It’s hard to get a long stiff t-bar. On my current setup, I have fixed the t-bar to my seatpost. It helps a lot!
The fixation is an old KH seatpost within which the t-bar fits perfectly. I have tightened it with a standard Nimbus clamp (28,6mm if I remember correctly). I’ll try to add pictures later. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only using the info from your post, I can only guess a longer allen key to tighten the joints might help? I never had a problem, but I had to tighten a lot otherwise the joints would move

Thanks AndrewA, I finally got it.

So Gockie, here’s a picture of me riding my (brand new at the time) 36".

1 Like

Ta for the pics :slight_smile:

I guess it doesn’t affect your freemounting, if you can happily ride with the handlebars like that!

Today I took the 36" for a spin. It had been more than half a year that I rode it last. As usual I couldnt mount it but luckily there was a post I could hold on to. The first few times I still tumbled off but then off I went. 5 km into the forest, figuring I would manage the freemount on the way back. After getting the feel, freemounting wasnt so bad anymore and I could ride the 5km back again. Anyways here is my stock T-bar on the Nimbus Nightrider Pro. The scratches are from failing to mount.
Gockie I also used to wonder if the handlebars would be in the way when either mounting or dismounting, but you’re always behind them. You can still hold on to the seat when mounting

I have a tendency to lean my body over the uni in the mounting process. To not be in the way of the handlebars, I just have to stay more upright.

Great you got the feel for mounting during the ride… always hard a the start when you haven’t ridden a larger uni for a while. I was finding the same for my 29er a week ago.

In this position it is not useable and has (at the moment) no specific function other than keeping the bottom side of the saddle flat for the bracket. Maybe it is useable when I extend the handle. But despite it is possible and planned, i never di so because i like the short position very much. The “gusset” thing is the bracket:

See all of this build here: T-Bar Projekt

1 Like

My current 36" setup

4 Likes

Looks like you are ready to tour some long distances? What type of riding are you doing?

Commuting to work pretty much, occasionally I’ll do some long distance riding of about 25-40k’s.

can you share what rear rack that is and did you have to modify it at all to work? i need a good way to carry my winter layers without wearing a backpack. looks like it would also serve as a rear fender

Bought it from a guy that sells recumbents and accessories for them. https://www.dtrecumbents.com.au/Access.html
I had a mate yesterday make a bracket to bind it to the seat post.

1 Like