T bar set up and pictures

I would like to hear about how other riders are setting up their Kris Holme handle bars and maybe see some pictures of the setups. I am riding road, and bike trails on a 29er and a 32, mostly flat with some elevation changes. I have my 29er set up but just ordered one for the 32.

My kh29 setup for road distance riding. Note it is positioned so the saddle handle is still available and the custom brake mount so brake is used when using the saddle handle.

And mad4one 27.5 setup for muni, not that I can do much.

1 Like

32” road and 27.5 MUni

I am currently not running either setup but they worked very well when i did

1 Like

I’m very curious about that brake set up. Could you explain how that works?

on my 29er I only have the straight bar, it came with my uni when I bought it second hand. I just ordered a complete set which includes the bar with the bend like both of you are using. . I’m looking forward to trying that one on my 32. I’ve been riding with mine a little closer and angled higher with my brake positioned where I can get at it at the T. It looks like both of you ride your distance unicycles with your bars extended out a little more than mine.

Thank the pictures help a lot.

My setup on my KH29 and KH36.
I’m a fan of staying upright.

1 Like

Hi @Canoeheadted, Can you share pics of them being ridden? This is a setup i’ve never seen before.

Google Photos

A shadow handle, not a KH t-bar, but the same idea could be used. I never got on with the forward facing bar extensions because the wrist angle was too tight. I wanted a more natural wrist position, more similar to holding the saddle handle but with a more secure grip. I eventually settled on cutting the ‘T’ section off the angled extension and bolting a single ergo bar-end to that. This gives a very natural wrist postion and also allows a lot of angle and height adjustment by rotating the extension. You can only hold with one hand which works for me most of the time. On long flat sections I can still rest the other hand on top:

I cut small length of bar and inserted into the rear of the saddle attachment, secured with a self taping screw. The brake then clamps to that instead of the bar forward of the attachment. A strip of aluminum flat bar was twisted into the correct shape to allow the brake lever to be pulled from the saddle handle. The photo shows the prototype created 2 years ago, it worked just as needed so it’s never been changed. I made the same arrangement for my 36".

I have definitely had a chance to look at vastly different set ups and honestly a few where so completely un expected. As with everything in this sport it takes trial and error to find what’s going to make you a better rider and technically there is no right or wrong way.
I would love to see the thread continue with pictures from other riders

Nothing too out of the ordinary for me.

2 Likes

Gockie, here are a couple taken from pics of your latest ride.
If you look a year ago in pics of your latest ride then you can see pictures of my 36"
Sorry, I don’t know how to access them to re-post. (there is no edit function to copy the image)

1 Like

My t-bar setup as it was a year ago : the t-bar is pretty low and I have added an aerobar so it’s more aerodynamic. That’d be a setup I would recommend if you want to go fast - low t-bar with potential aerobar.

(I’ll take another picture of my current setup later as it has seen little improvements.)

The handle bar is soo far away, how can you reach it. Don’t you have a pic where you sit on the uni?

I don’t have a pic, but the idea is to be bent on the uni. My position is similar to @toutestbon’s in this video:

When I’m feeling lazy, I can simply put my hands on the elbowrests - since the picture has been taken I have added handles under the elbowrests so it’s easier to handle.
For a road uni, I would say that the further the bars are, the better it is. You’d have to “lay” on the unicycle so the wind resistance is lesser.

1 Like

@jaco_flans (if I recall correctly) made muni handles with one side at 45° and short throw. I can’t find any pix but the idea was the same as your approach.

2 Likes

I have watched that video before and am absolutely amazed at the riders speed and fluidity, they ride so smooth and natural like on a road bike. While I would love to be on that level, I am not. My aim is for comfort and stability on longer rides that take me over multi surfaces and elevation changes. It’s amazing the difference in all of these setups that reflect the different styles of riding you all are doing. For instance maxence and canoe head have set ups that are completely polar opposite, reflecting their style and I’m sure advanced skill levels.

1 Like

If you’re looking for a setup to go for elevation changes, @WeaponizedBacon’s 32er setup is probably the best one. IMHO the upper side of the bar should not be higher than the upper side of the seat.

1 Like