Switching unicycles

Ok, so lately i have been riding my semcycle 20" freestyle alot and practicing a lot of flatland stuff. Well today i rode my sem and then took out my onza trials and rode some trials. My highest hop is around 14" and when i rode today i was having getting trouble getting 10". It also seemed super hard to turn on the onza.

Does anyone else have trouble switching between trials and freestyle (using different uni’s) or between any other styles were the uni is very different (i.e. a coker, and a trials or something like that)?

yeah for sure

I was cokering for about a week (w/ 125s)
then i got back on my 24" muni w/ 165mm cranks
and could barely even ride it!

now i can do both if i do so in moderation

Being able to switch easily from one unicycle to another is a learned skill just like any other. The more you “practice” switching between unicycles the easier and quicker it becomes to readjust.

I have a theory that any time you switch unicycles it takes a period of time to adjust to the particular characteristics of the one you have just got on.

When I first started riding the adjustment peiod was often a couple of days. Now I have got it down to a few minutes or less.

One thing that helps you learn to adjust fast is to hang out with a few fellow unicyclist at an area like a skate park or gym with a selection of different unicycles. Take turns at riding each all the different unicycles and trying different tricks. At events like the NZUni weekend I often switch between four unicycles within the space of 10 minutes, trying new tricks and demonstrating old ones.

I’ve noticed a big difference when switching between different sized wheels, like a coker and a trials uni…its not as bad now as when I first got the coker though. like peter says, getting used to switching just takes practice.

Yea, when I first switched from 29er to 20" freestyle, I couldn’t stop at all! I ran right into my grandma’s car.:o It took about 3 minutes to adjust, though.

Tell me about it. Someone just lent me a 6’ giraffe with 165s (!), and it’s definitely weird riding it. Generally, after you swap unicycles two or three times, you get used to it pretty quick. It just takes a little more concentration before it ‘clicks’, that’s all.

If I ride my giraffe for a long time, it can take me a few minutes to unlearn it and ride my 24" freestyle well again. If I ride both alterately, switching every couple minutes, I don’t have much of a problem.

Yeah, it’s really creepy switching back and forth from my coker with 89’s to my onza trials. I’m pretty flipping good at it though. :sunglasses:

Re: Switching unicycles

skate4flip wrote:

> Does anyone else have trouble switching between trials and freestyle
> (using different uni’s) or between any other styles were the uni is
> very different (i.e. a coker, and a trials or something like that)?

Suprisingly, perhaps, I have no problem switching between my 20"
freestyle and my two-wheeler (also 20"). I do have problems between
giraffes and my two-wheeler. Giraffes scare me now :slight_smile:

Roger