Switch hands when hopping to left and right?

Is it correct technique to hold onto the seat with the same hand when
hopping up a curb both to the left and the right?

I can hop up a low curb to the right, holding the seat with my right hand,
but can’t seem to hop up a curb on the left that way.

Maybe holding the seat with my right hand allows me to pull the uni to the
right, or somehow brace myself when hopping in that direction. But if I
try hopping to the left in that position, down I go. So, should I switch
hands (and perhaps which foot is forward) when hopping to the left? Or
should I just figure out how to hop to the left while holding on with my
right hand?

When I began my unicycle season ie after our long winter, I had trouble
with my knuckle when hopping so I had to almost switch the ‘grabbing’ hand
every week. By experience, the grabbing hand does not have an effect on
the direction I’m hopping, it’s much more a question of forcing myself to
use my weak leg to work.

Oli-

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Fuhrmann
[mailto:fuhrmann@interlog.com] Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 10:17 PM To:
unicycling@winternet.com Subject: Switch hands when hopping to left
and right?

Is it correct technique to hold onto the seat with the same hand when
hopping up a curb both to the left and the right?

I can hop up a low curb to the right, holding the seat with my right hand,
but can’t seem to hop up a curb on the left that way.

Maybe holding the seat with my right hand allows me to pull the uni to the
right, or somehow brace myself when hopping in that direction. But if I
try hopping to the left in that position, down I go. So, should I switch
hands (and perhaps which foot is forward) when hopping to the left? Or
should I just figure out how to hop to the left while holding on with my
right hand?

Michael Fuhrmann wrote:

> Is it correct technique to hold onto the seat with the same hand when
> hopping up a curb both to the left and the right?
>
> I can hop up a low curb to the right, holding the seat with my right
> hand, but can’t seem to hop up a curb on the left that way.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m having the same problem. I
presumed it had something to do with the fact that my right foot is always
back when I hop.

I figured this problem would go away as I get better, just like how I can
evenly turn both directions, but I couldn’t when I was learning to ride.

From the videos I’ve seen, the expert riders tend to hold the seat with
the same hand all the time, and also have the same foot back when hopping
or jumping.

Greg

“Wow, I didn’t know being a super hero could be so painful.”

Generally I hold the seat with my right hand regardless of where I’m
jumping. Most people (definately me!) have a good side and a bad side.
However, I’ve noticed that my bad side has improved automatically as I get
better on my good side.

-Kris — Greg House <ghouse@spammenot.southwind.net> wrote:
> Michael Fuhrmann wrote:
>
> > Is it correct technique to hold onto the seat with the same hand when
> > hopping up a curb both to the left and the right?
> >
> > I can hop up a low curb to the right, holding the seat with my right
> > hand, but can’t seem to hop up a curb on the left that way.
>
> I don’t know what the answer is, but I’m having the same problem. I
> presumed it had something to do with the fact that my right foot is
> always back when I hop.
>
> I figured this problem would go away as I get better, just like how I
> can evenly turn both directions, but I couldn’t when I was learning
> to ride.
>
> From the videos I’ve seen, the expert riders tend to hold the seat with
> the same hand all the time, and also have the same foot back when
> hopping or jumping.
>
> Greg
> –
> “Wow, I didn’t know being a super hero could be so painful.”
>


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only
$35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

I am curious – you say you use your right hand – are you left or right
footed? How about left or right handed?

Though, with the amount of time I spent trying to figure out which hand
works better, I could have just picked one.

jeff lutkus

— Kris Holm <danger_uni@yahoo.com>
> wrote: Generally I hold the seat with my right hand regardless of where
> I’m jumping. Most people (definately me!) have a good side and a bad
> side. However, I’ve noticed that my bad side has improved automatically
> as I get better on my good side.
>
>-Kris


Free e-Mail and Webspace - http://Unicyclist.com

I am right handed and I hop with my left foot forward. I can hop better to
my left; I think this is because it is a stronger position to lift up and
left with my right hand (accross my body) than it is to lift up and right.

-Kris. — Jeff Lutkus <lutkus@unicyclist.com> wrote:
> I am curious – you say you use your right hand – are you left or right
> footed? How about left or right handed?
>
> Though, with the amount of time I spent trying to figure out which hand
> works better, I could have just picked one.
>
> jeff lutkus
>
> — Kris Holm <danger_uni@yahoo.com>
> > wrote: Generally I hold the seat with my right hand regardless of
> > where I’m jumping. Most people (definately me!) have a good side and a
> > bad side. However, I’ve noticed that my bad side has improved
> > automatically as I get better on my good side.
> >
> >-Kris
>
> _____________________________________________________________
> Free e-Mail and Webspace - http://Unicyclist.com


Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only
$35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Kris Holm wrote:

> I am right handed and I hop with my left foot forward. I can hop better
> to my left; I think this is because it is a stronger position to lift
> up and left with my right hand (accross my body) than it is to lift up
> and right.

Although I can’t hop nearly like Kris does, my experience is exactly the
same. I usually hop with my right foot back, my right hand on the seat,
and I can hop more effectively to the left.

Greg