Suspension from unicycle.UK.com, Muni purchase.

Hello everyone! Has anyone got any experience of / thoughts about the
suspension seatpost sold by the unicycle.UK.com store? (or generally any
model of course) It’s at £35, about 45 $, isn’t that much, is it? Does it
twist? How is hopping with it? (I suspect it might feel strange if it’s
“clicking” into the upper position instead of going smooth) Does only 1"
of travel mean it’s not worth the fuss. An airseat might be a better and
cheaper way to improve comfort, rendering a suspension seatpost
unneccesary.

I’m buying myself a new muni because a cheap crapcycle with a knobby tire
didn’t last very long. (surprise?) While I’m at it, I tought I might as
well go for it and add some upgrades, one reason is to avoid paying a lot
of shipping to Sweden for the upgrades later.

I first tought of buying a Pashley, but some rather nasty rimbending last
weekend and previous experience of cracked up lolipop framefittings made
me aim for a DM ATU. (A rather well paid job during the summer helped
too). The bigger tire clearance seems nice, and (extremly important of
course :slight_smile: it looks better to me.Off-road unicycling is something I really
enjoy, so don’t mind paying some more if the uni lasts longer.

All feedback will be highly appreciated. Staffan Palm Sweden
staffanpalm@hotmail.com

Staffan,

What kind of riding do you do? DM ATU is nice and strong, which it sounds
like you’re going to need if you’re bending rims already. I would classify
it as a cross-country model though, due to its narrow rim and tire. I also
has an odd (48) number of spokes, and no quick release. Of course most
importantly (to me) is it doesn’t have the clearance for my favorite tire,
the 3" Gazzaloddi.

If you want something more trialsy, I would suggest something with
clearance for a 24x3 tire, a DoubleWide or Eliminator rim to go with it,
Profile axle and cranks, meaty pedals, and a carbon seat with air pillow.
Suspension post? By all means! My first suspension post should arrive in
my mailbox tomorrow, so we’ll see how it likes me. I’ve wanted one for a
long time, especially after riding Geoff’s at California Muni weekend
last year.

Chris

Staffan Palm wrote:
>
> Hello everyone! Has anyone got any experience of / thoughts about the
> suspension seatpost sold by the unicycle.UK.com store? (or generally any
> model of course) It’s at £35, about 45 $, isn’t that much, is it? Does
> it twist? How is hopping with it? (I suspect it might feel strange if
> it’s “clicking” into the upper position instead of going smooth) Does
> only 1" of travel mean it’s not worth the fuss. An airseat might be a
> better and cheaper way to improve comfort, rendering a suspension
> seatpost unneccesary.
>
> I’m buying myself a new muni because a cheap crapcycle with a knobby
> tire didn’t last very long. (surprise?) While I’m at it, I tought I
> might as well go for it and add some upgrades, one reason is to avoid
> paying a lot of shipping to Sweden for the upgrades later.
>
> I first tought of buying a Pashley, but some rather nasty rimbending
> last weekend and previous experience of cracked up lolipop framefittings
> made me aim for a DM ATU. (A rather well paid job during the summer
> helped too). The bigger tire clearance seems nice, and (extremly
> important of course it looks better to me.Off-road unicycling is
> something I really enjoy, so don’t mind paying some more if the uni
> lasts longer.
>
> All feedback will be highly appreciated. Staffan Palm Sweden
> staffanpalm@hotmail.com

> What kind of riding do you do? DM ATU is nice and strong, which it
> sounds like you’re going to need if you’re bending rims already. I would
> classify it as a cross-country model though, due to its narrow rim and
> tire. I also has an odd (48) number of spokes, and no quick release. Of
> course most importantly (to me) is it doesn’t have the clearance for my
> favorite tire, the 3" Gazzaloddi.

I use my ATU for all-around MUni. Though sometimes I wish for the extra
puffiness of a 3" tire, my 2.6" Gazz and Kenda tires have served me well.
Unless you’re going for big drops or an extreme amount of pounding, you
should do fine with this uni as well.

My ATU is great for cross country (mine came with 150mm cranks), Trials,
and everything but the most extreme treatment. I have ridden it with
Chris Reeder, Kris Holm, and others, but not necessarily following their
every move :slight_smile:

So if you think you’ll be getting into big drops (over 1 meter), or
just very intense riding, it will definitely be worth your while to go
for something that fits the 3" tires. Otherwise, the ATU will serve you
just fine.

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

Happy owner of a DM ATU, but feeling guilty about my Roger Davies Carbon,
which mostly hangs in the garage…

Chirs Reeder Wrote:
>
>What kind of riding do you do? DM ATU is nice and strong, which it sounds
>like you’re going to need if you’re bending rims already. I would
>classify it as a cross-country model though, due to its narrow rim and
>tire. I also has an odd (48) number of spokes, and no quick release. Of
>course most importantly (to me) is it doesn’t have the clearance for my
>favorite tire, the 3" Gazzaloddi.

Odd number of spokes? 48? Pretty even to me… sorry, this is partly my
fault for specifying 48 when DM made of of the first ATU’s for me. 48 is
certainly stronger than 36, and you can get a a rim to fit 23x3 tyres with
48 spokes too. I vote 48 every time.

SIMON

                        |
  Simon Greenway | I.O.U O
I.O.U@mindless.com | | Romsey, Hampshire, UK. | Idiots On
    Unicycles \#/
                        | <a href="http://come.to/muni">http://come.to/muni</a> o

     new pages coming soon for you enjoyment

Suspension is nice, but not necessary. A good air seat and the fat tire
will give you some plushness to the ride – not as much as an actual
suspension, but enough for most trails. A suspension is the least
important upgrade for a muni, in my humble opinion. I haven’t bothered to
put a suspension on my muni yet. I’d concentrate on making a real good air
seat with room for extra padding first. You might have to do some custom
sewing to make an air pillow for the tube but it will be worth it. An air
pillow makes an air seat much much better.

john_childs

>From: “Staffan Palm” <staffanpalm@hotmail.com> Reply-To: “Staffan Palm”
><staffanpalm@hotmail.com> To: unicycling@winternet.com Subject:
>Suspension from unicycle.UK.com, Muni purchase. Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001
>23:03:17 GMT
>
>Hello everyone! Has anyone got any experience of / thoughts about the
>suspension seatpost sold by the unicycle.UK.com store? (or generally any
>model of course) It’s at £35, about 45 $, isn’t that much, is it? Does it
>twist? How is hopping with it? (I suspect it might feel strange if it’s
>“clicking” into the upper position instead of going smooth) Does only 1"
>of travel mean it’s not worth the fuss. An airseat might be a better and
>cheaper way to improve comfort, rendering a suspension seatpost
>unneccesary.
>
>
>I’m buying myself a new muni because a cheap crapcycle with a knobby tire
>didn’t last very long. (surprise?) While I’m at it, I tought I might as
>well go for it and add some upgrades, one reason is to avoid paying a lot
>of shipping to Sweden for the upgrades later.
>
>I first tought of buying a Pashley, but some rather nasty rimbending last
>weekend and previous experience of cracked up lolipop framefittings made
>me aim for a DM ATU. (A rather well paid job during the summer helped
>too). The bigger tire clearance seems nice, and (extremly important of
>course it looks better to me.Off-road unicycling is something I really
>enjoy, so don’t mind paying some more if the uni lasts longer.
>
>All feedback will be highly appreciated. Staffan Palm Sweden
>staffanpalm@hotmail.com
>
>


Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

>>“Staffan Palm” <staffanpalm@hotmail.com> wrote: “cheap crapcycle”

New addition to the unicycling lexicon?

Greetings

In message “Re: unicycle terms”, George Barnes IV wrote…
>>>“Staffan Palm” <staffanpalm@hotmail.com> wrote: “cheap crapcycle”
>
>New addition to the unicycling lexicon?

Under what circumstances was this used? Have you heard it many times? A
term needs a certaing amount of real-world use even to make it into a list
of slang/informal descriptions.

Regards, Jack Halpern President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

Chris said
:
>DM ATU is nice and strong, which it sounds like you’re going to need if
>you’re bending rims already. I would classify it as a cross-country model
>though, due to its narrow rim and tire.

The giant “cotton reels” in Universe don’t look your normal "cross country
obstacle …

Also some brands of 24x3 tyres do fit the frame.

Leo White (Who doesn’t own an ATU but would like to)

> In message “Re: unicycle terms”, George Barnes IV wrote…
> >>>“Staffan Palm” <staffanpalm@hotmail.com> wrote: “cheap crapcycle”
> >
> >New addition to the unicycling lexicon?
>
> Under what circumstances was this used? Have you heard it many times? A
> term needs a certaing amount of real-world use even to make it into a
> list of slang/informal descriptions. Regards, Jack Halpern

Crapcycle -s A crapcycle is a machine used for limited riding pleasure, as
it soon will fall apart and need repairing. It also features a hard seat,
wich leads to “riderbottomsoreness” and the expressions “brickseat” and
“riding on a brick”

On a crapcycle, lolipop bearingholders and a weak rim with an unusual
number of spokes (28 or less) are prefered. The pedals should feature low
traction and be very slippery when wet.

A “cheap crapcycle” is a low quality “crapcycle”, a second hand "crapcycle
" or simply a “crapcycle” bought at a sale. A regular “crapcycle” can also
become a “cheap crapcycle” when it has been through a lot of abuse.

Regards Staffan Palm, Sweden Experienced in turning “crapcycles” into
“cheap crapcycles”

> In message “Re: unicycle terms”, George Barnes IV wrote…
> >>>“Staffan Palm” <staffanpalm@hotmail.com> wrote: “cheap crapcycle”
> >
> >New addition to the unicycling lexicon?
>
> Under what circumstances was this used? Have you heard it many times? A
> term needs a certaing amount of real-world use even to make it into a
> list of slang/informal descriptions. Regards, Jack Halpern

Crapcycle -s A crapcycle is a machine used for limited riding pleasure, as
it soon will fall apart and need repairing. It also features a hard seat,
wich leads to “riderbottomsoreness” and the expressions “brickseat” and
“riding on a brick”

On a crapcycle, lolipop bearingholders and a weak rim with an unusual
number of spokes (28 or less) are prefered. The pedals should feature low
traction and be very slippery when wet.

A “cheap crapcycle” is a low quality “crapcycle”, a second hand "crapcycle
" or simply a “crapcycle” bought at a sale. A regular “crapcycle” can also
become a “cheap crapcycle” when it has been through a lot of abuse.

Regards Staffan Palm, Sweden Experienced in turning “crapcycles” into
“cheap crapcycles”