Surly Conundrum

Anybody have anything more to say on this than the very little that has been said before?

Everyone seemed to think it would be so awesome before it came out, and now everybody seems to think it’s pointless overkill.

I just did a quick calculation, and it seems that for about $750 I could have this built up just how I’d like. That makes it slightly more than a KH, but it just seems so much cooler, I don’t know…

And as far as people saying that the endomorph is only good for snow and sand, if I’m moving to the desert, then this would be a fairly practical tire to own, correct?

Just looking for more input on this cool uni.

X

There is nothing comparable to the Endomorph for sand. (See my avatar.) It makes sand dunes reasonably rideable on the flats and downhills, and even possible on the uphills if they’re a bit packed.

On roads, the tire is fine if you’re going straight on a flat road. It is absolutely awful dealing with road crown issues, and is generally hard to turn. I would not want to ride it regularly in traffic.

I have not ridden one much as a MUni. I think it works, although with some weight penalty.

I have a 26" muni setup with a gb4 frame, a large marge rim, a 3.7" endomorph, and a profile poznanter(sp?) hub with profile 175mm cranks.

I agree, it’s hard to turn the endomorph on pavement because it grips too well.
On any other terrain, it’s the best uni I’ve used.
I get decent road performance from the Endomorph by using lots of tire pressure. In the case where I won’t be on the road at all, going down to 15 psi or lower gives the best off-road handling. Higher pressure also lets me ride over any curb I can find without hitting the rim.

I had a 3" Gazzaloddi tire on this unicycle for many months before the Endomorph was commercially available. The gazz was easier to turn on pavement, but nowhere close to as good as the Endomorph off the pavement.

When I ordered my frame from George Barnes IV, he suggested a minimum of 175mm cranks. 175mm was way too long with the 3" Gazz, and is perfect with the Endomorph.

With the gb4 aluminum frame, my 26" endomorph unicycle (named Secret Joy) is lighter than my KH24 2004 all-steel unicycle (named Python). Secret Joy also handles my 95 kilos (210 lbs) better than Python.
My first 20" unicycle broke repeatedly because I weigh too much for it.

Here are some photos of Secret Joy if you’d like to see the full package.

In the next few days I’ll add magura hydraulic brakes, I think that will improve my Muni experience.

In summary, I’ll purchase a Conundrum frame for if/when my gb4 frame breaks, but I wouldn’t switch my Endomorph & Large Marge combo for anything else.

your GB4 frame is made of steel. put a magnet to it an see.

That’s what I was thinkin’.

AX,
get the surly!

The endomorph works well in loose dirt? I’ve beeen wondering about that, it doesn’t seem to have that super knobby tread pattern like dh tires have. So, the pure gurth of the tire must make big spikey knobs unecessary.

On a side note: The large marge is the most amazing rim I have ever used, it takes your muni riding to a new level. Not only does it feel much more stable, the added volume gives the tire a great rebound and just eats up the small bumps. I will never buy another rim for muni.

Surly Dave, if you’re reading this, Thank You!!!

I 2nd that get the surly, You kan run any dang tire you want then, I call that a good Investment because things change.:wink:

There’s no better time than the present

I finished QC’ing the Conundrum frames yesterday. They should be in stock at QBP, our distributor, today. Call your local bike shop or uni dealer, if you want one. We received 50 assorted frames (both sizes, both colors) via airfreight, but 150 more are in transit on the slow boat scheduled to arrive in a month or so.

Enjoy.

will a koxx one hub fit in the conundrum frame and will the frames be sold seperatly?

also, are the frames aluminum?

I don’t know if the Koxx hub will fit. Does anybody have hub measurements…minimum width, bearing outside-to-bearing outside? With provided shims, 40mm, 41.28mm, and 42mm OD bearings will fit in the bearing clamps. Bearing size is not an issue, but bearing spacing may be.

Yes. Frames are sold separately. The price is to be determined by the shop you order it from.

Surly only produces steel frames. So…no, the frames are not aluminum.

Check out this page on our website for details…http://www.surlybikes.com/new.html

onetrack, you are most welcome.

Mr. SurlyDave, any word of a 24" Endomorph Tire?

I know that the koxx one hubs and cranks fit into KH frames no problem.

What is the bearing spacing on the frame, Dave? Have you been able to check a variety of hubs with the frame?

As always, LiveWire Unicycles is doing these wheels and unis; drop me a line!

well, i think its still overkill. I rode one at Moab Muni Fest and thought it was worse in just about every area other than sand.

It was so massive and heavy! I got back on my KH24 and it felt like heaven compared to the Large Marge 3.7 uni.

Now i have made a KH 26 and it is gr8 at everything. Cant wait untill Moab next year!

I still want pictures of that:)

oh there coming, i think tomarrow iam putting some up

:wink:

Yay!!!

[QUOTE=U-Turn]
What is the bearing spacing on the frame, Dave? Have you been able to check a variety of hubs with the frame?

The bearing spacing is spec’d at 104.5mm from bearing outside to bearing outside. Profile works, KH works, Suzue works. I chose the spacing to accommodate tapered axle hubs with pressed on bearings. Splined axle hubs have adjustable bearing spacing, so they tend to work regardless of the bearing clamp spacing…as long as it’s within their range of adjustment. It’s unfortunate there isn’t an industry standard for bearing spacing and diameter.

The bearing spacing is spec’d at 104.5mm from bearing outside to bearing outside. Profile works, KH works, Suzue works. I chose the spacing to accommodate tapered axle hubs with pressed on bearings. Splined axle hubs have adjustable bearing spacing, so they tend to work regardless of the bearing clamp spacing…as long as it’s within their range of adjustment. It’s unfortunate there isn’t an industry standard for bearing spacing and diameter.