Sun Doublewide or other rim for 24" Trials/MUni?

Hi again,

I am wondering if the Sun Doublewide Rim can handle some heavy 24 inch Trials action.

I need to find out what rim will work for MUni and Uni Trials the best, and it needs to be available through unicycle.com, since I don’t have the proper skill to build my own wheel. It also needs to accomidate a 3" tire.

I will eventually get a 20" Trials unicycle, but before then I will use my KH 24" for both, so all help and advice is appreaciated.

Thanx,

Evan

i would suggest…

i suggest a sun rhinolite 24 rim with a lighter tyre for trials, something like a duro 2.6 leapord, or an irc kujo 242.35. You dont need a superwide tyre for trials unless your doing huge drops its too excesive. I would go for a monty 20 inch setup straight away. I converted my 24 inch into a 20 inch. $100 australian for monty 202.5 inch tyre and rim, plus about $30 for spokes! its the better option believe me!

James

Hi,

I want a setup for a 3" tire, because I’m going to do huge drops, with my “take a big gulp and huck it” method.

Mind you, I’m going to have a summer job, because I’m only in highschool. You can see the setup I wanna run in my other thread, so I might not have enough funds for another top of the line cycle this summer, but I do plan to get an additional cycle, a KH 20" with Monty-Profile setup, and Carbon-Air-Rail Bracket-bike seat post set up, sometime in the future.

I thank you for the suggestion anyway.

The Sun Doublewide would be able to handle anything you can throw at it. It’s a strong rim. The disadvantage for the double wide is that it is heavy (795 grams for the 24") and it doesn’t have a proper brake surface. You can run a rim brake with the doublewide but it’s not an ideal setup for a brake.

Some people are beginning to use the Avro Zum Eliminator. We’ll have to wait and see to find out how well that rim will hold up. I’m sure some reviews of the Avro rim will be posted once people start to put some hours on it. The Avro is a little bit lighter than the Sun Doublewide, a little bit wider than the Doublewide, and it has a rim brake surface.

The Alex DX32 is the lightest wide DH rim of the bunch. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to buy it. Almost no bike shop in the US can order it. I’m thinking that I might have to make a run up to Vancouver BC if I want to buy one (I live in Seattle so it’s not too far to get up to Vancouver).

So hang on. Some reviews of the Avro should be comming. If the Avro doesn’t work out then the Sun Doublewide can certainly handle trials and muni.

Question for the group: Has anyone managed to flatspot or taco a 24" Sun Doublwide rim? If no one has busted the rim yet then I think the rim will be able to handle Evan.

john_childs

dx32

this may be a dumb question,but knowledge on the dx rim is hard to find too…

does the “32” in the name mean it has only 32 spoke holes?

For the Alex DX32 the “32” refers to how wide the inside of the rim is (where the tire sits). The inside width of the Alex DX32 is 32mm.
See: http://www.alexrims.com/products/downhill.html

For a comparison, the inside width of a Sun Doublewide is 33mm. Only 1mm more than the DX32.

john_childs

dx32

there site does’nt say how many spokes it takes.i’ll assume that its 36 but the weight savings over the Sun DBL.wide seems to be the lack nipple eyelits

I have Alex DX32 rims on both my mod trials uni and a 26" on my muni. they both have eyelits. I have been very happy with both and they have both been standing up rather well. i know that you can get the 26" rims at www.trialsin.com

peter

'Tis the rim, here- $48:

http://store.airbomb.com/USA/Store/product/view.cfm?ProductID=656

Does it come in 24", or fruity flavors?

Christopher

unitulip

ok ,so the pictures you gave the of DX has nipples, but the pic’s on the Alex rims site shows the DX without

is there anyone that has had both the Sun DBL.wide and the DX32? and can say where the weight differance in design is?

During my search for a 24" AlexDX32, I called airbomb.com, and they said they only carry it in 26".

I eventually found a local bike shop that could order one for me. Norco distributes them, so try looking for a Norco dealer in your area.

From what I’ve heard, the Alex rim is basicly the best Trials/MUni rim out there.

Ben

I put a nice ding in my Zum Elimintor, right near the weld. It bent back
with pliers quite easily. I asked Avro about it, and they said the don’t
heat treat after welding it. (They’re supposed to temper on their own with
time, they said.) They may have started gluing them together at the joint,
which would eliminate the heat affected zone, but I never heard back from
them whether they had started shipping them like that or not.

The Zum is not as wide as I had hoped. My HED. db45a is listed as 45mm,
the Zum is listed as 44 mm, but the Zum was about 2mm narrower than the
HED. I weighed my Zum, it was 862 grams for the 24" version (1.90 lbs).
It’s also pretty narrow where the bead is, so probably isn’t very
pinch-proof (although a narrow bead means the inner rim width is greater,
which is what really determines how stable the tire will be on the rim.)

Chris

john_childs wrote:

> The Sun Doublewide would be able to handle anything you can throw at it.
> It’s a strong rim. The disadvantage for the double wide is that it is
> heavy (795 grams for the 24") and it doesn’t have a proper brake
> surface. You can run a rim brake with the doublewide but it’s not an
> ideal setup for a brake.
>
> Some people are beginning to use the Avro Zum Eliminator. We’ll have to
> wait and see to find out how well that rim will hold up. I’m sure some
> reviews of the Avro rim will be posted once people start to put some
> hours on it. The Avro is a little bit lighter than the Sun Doublewide, a
> little bit wider than the Doublewide, and it has a rim brake surface.
>
> The Alex DX32 is the lightest wide DH rim of the bunch. Unfortunately it
> is almost impossible to buy it. Almost no bike shop in the US can order
> it. I’m thinking that I might have to make a run up to Vancouver BC if I
> want to buy one (I live in Seattle so it’s not too far to get up to
> Vancouver).
>
> So hang on. Some reviews of the Avro should be comming. If the Avro
> doesn’t work out then the Sun Doublewide can certainly handle trials
> and muni.
>
> Question for the group: Has anyone managed to flatspot or taco a 24" Sun