Stupid Muni Questions

I’m fairly new to Muni riding, but I am getting to the point where I am actually getting through the general rock/root that is scattered over all the trails here. I’m not doing any real hopping yet, but that is on the agenda. I am using much more energy than seems right. I want to make sure my technique/setup is on the right track. I’m on a KH24 with the stock parts except there’s a whole bunch of seat post cut off.

How much weight should I have on the saddle going downhill? I have a feeling I am wasting energy carrying too much weight on my legs, but it just doesn’t seem right staying seated over rocks and roots and everything.

I have a feeling I am fighting myself a bit with back force on my trailing leg. I am going to have to assume just riding more will be the answer to fixing that.

Right now I can pretty much mount, ride, and turn. I’ve never spent much time playing with skills. It sounds like idling/rolling hops are the things that will be useful. Is there anything else I should be working on?

well, doing basic tricks such as riding backwards and with the seat in front will help your balence, and certainly you need to be able to hop up at least 6 inches. why be forced to stop for a pesky log?

Just keep riding! Unfortunately the problems you have while riding will best be solved by more riding. I wouldn’t worry about the way you ride, just keep going and find what works for you.

Riding a unicycle downhill takes a lot of energy. Using a brake to augment your leg strength can make long downhills much easier.

Just keep riding. good technique comes with time and practice.

Chriffer;

I’m no hot dog on the trails, but I completely agree that the key is to just keep riding … and maybe ride the same trail several times so you can anticipate what’s coming up, gain confidence, and relax.

I remember when I first started riding trails; I TOTALLY fought myself with back force on my trailing leg, and I could never relax.

Incidentally, for me the best indicator of how much I’m fighting myself is my pulse/respiration rate.

As I learned to relax – and maybe put more weight on the saddle – I found I could actually breathe normally and enjoy the ride.

Keep at it … it will come … and it will get more and more and more fun!

Cheers,
UPD in Utah

yah UPD has the right idea

One thing that really helped me in my downhill riding technique was riding until the point of exhaustion. At that point I did not have the energy or the leg strength to fight against myself and started to ride much smoother just sort of going with the flow and trying not to fall. This was mostly with road riding but translates well to MUni.

After about one year of downhill riding I still have this problem. After a maximum of 300m of technical downhill I have to stop for a short break. I can’t sit down when it’s very technical.