Studs, ice and studded shoes

Yesterday, I achieve a first unicycling – levitation. After the two cute young ladies told me to be careful on the ice with that contraption and my “no problem, I’ve got studded tires” response, I proceeded to take a whopper of a fall. Figures, right.

A minor UPD on the ice…fatigued or careless I guess…should have been no biggie…landed on my feet… Ah, but I was riding on that glassy smooth boilerplate I love so much with studded tires. My feet instantly flew out from under me; I must have levitated several feet off the ground the way no hoverboard ever could, and then came crashing down on my back. Did I also say I love my camelback as a cushion and was wise enough to put my iPhone in my front pocket.

So…I’m thinking maybe a few studs in my 5-10s? Thoughts?

I think I’ve answered my own questions. Shoe install towards video end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6GE9SZq04

I have worn caulked winter boots and they are fantastic when working on slick ice but also a real pain as they wreck everything else they come in contact with.

I needed to add rubber matting to the snowmobile running-boards so they wouldn’t wear holes in the aluminum, and take them off on a piece of plywood outside the cabin.

No grip issues on ice though.

I am not sure if anything short of proper logging caulks (spikes) would stand up to the forces involved in stopping a fall on ice but you could try some less aggressive options.

I just try not to fall when on ice :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Those grip studs look like they would be much less destructive to property, but do 5-10s have thick enough soles to accept them? I would worry a bit about them tearing out with impact. It’s all conjecture at this point unless you can get a review from someone who used them for that purpose. If you do let us know who it works for you!

I’ve got metal studded shoes I use for orienteering - the studs help with grip on wet wood which you tend to get a lot of in forests where orienteering events are held. They do also provide fairly decent grip on ice.
http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino260/inov~8-oroc-340-trail-running-shoes-(precision-fit)/ are the newer version of what I currently use.

I’ve used those to ride a uni in and they work OK, but they’re not great - nowhere near as good a grip on the pedal as a proper soft rubber flat shoe, though they’re better than normal running shoes as there isn’t much in the way of padding and the sole isn’t as curved as most.

koldcutter

works good.
and crampons:D