Street unicycling wikipedia site

The first donkey kick I saw was in Defect by Dan. I think he is the creator of the trick, someone tell me different if he didn’t.

KH.

Maybe i’m wrong, but in skateboarding there’s no such thing as a “small spin”. A “big spin” is where the board does a 360 varial (rotation) and the rider does a 180 rotation in the same direction (what you are calling a small spin). It’s like adding a shuv-it/varial to a 180 spin.

So why is the definition different in unicycling?

Cause alot of the names in unicycling are just made up by people. Not all of them are relating to skateboarding.

KH.

Can i add some stuff to the page (how do i)?

i added a few things to the wiki.

-450 unispin
-630 unispin
-seat bounce
-back seat drop

Someone could add the “UniCan” (Tire-grab no-footer)

Has anyone landed one down a set? Rather than just static?

Xavier did one down a 5 set in “Vener”

yeah the wikibook should hold all the primary resources and the wikipedia should link to them. way easier this way!!!

i did 270 unispin yesterday! woo i contributed!

Not sure which of the many Johns out there you were talking about, but I just gave it a read and it looks like a great effort. Finally there is a place to go to find out what all those trick names mean! :slight_smile:

Some comments:

• Who did things first:
    Be very suspect of the small group of people from this online community being the first to do these things. Definitely some stuff is being invented within this community, but there is a much larger unicycling world outside this community who are likely doing all sorts of things you haven’t seen, especially if you haven’t been to many conventions or other places where those non-community people are riding.

But doing a trick first does not necessarily make you the trick’s “father”. If one guy did the trick in 1982, for instance, but never told anyone (and has photos or video to prove it), they should get due credit. But it’s the people who spread the videos around, talk about the tricks and give them names that get them out into the world.

Example: The kick-up mount is obvious-enough a trick that some performer undoubtedly did it in their shows (or at least worked it out) at least 70 years ago. But we in the (USA/IUF) unicycling community didn’t know about it and never heard of it until Daniel Dumeng did it at the 1982 USA convention. Then it was seen by lots of people, named, and taken home and practiced around the world within months. I give credit to Daniel Dumeng, but if evidence of an old-timer doing it turns up, they will get honorable mention as well.

• The competition event:
    Now there is a Street event in the IUF Rulebook, and we will determine the first-ever world champion of Street at Unicon this summer. What may be the most difficult part for some of you is that the official name of this event is Street Freestyle. The Freestyle part may be dropped in the future, but it’s there now to help people familiar with the other “artistic” competition events understand what what it’s about. The name is also intended to remind everyone that Street and Freestyle have much in common.

Please add a reference to the competition event. Reference it in the IUF Rulebook (International Unicycling Federation - Rulebook Diagrams). Please let me know if there is anything you don’t like about the system. But those are the rules for 2006. The first-ever Street Freestyle competition (or Street Comp) was held at the 2004 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend, in Lloyd Johnson’s driveway in Truckee, CA. I heard some rumors about an earlier event (rules and deatils unknown) that was held in Conneticut, also in 2004 I think.

• Duplicate tricks:
    Some of the tricks on the wiki are duplicated of ones in the Standard Skills List (also found in the IUF or USA Rulebooks). The unispins have the same name, but some are listed under different names, such as seat bounce. I believe the Standard Skill name for this is “bounce seat on floor”. Not exciting, but the philosophy there was to describe the trick, if possible, in the name. Seatwrap may also have a duplicate in Standard Skill, but I’m not sure. Best to not rename tricks that already have names, even if the original names are kind of lame.

Note: I like these more “personalized” names better. The Standard Skill names work well, but only in the original language. If you translate them you have the choice of translating the names, or keeping the original English, which won’t make sense to non-English speakers. Personalized names are more likely to be used internationally without change.

Keep up the great work!

There is going to be a street comp. at NAUCC too. (so I’ve heard)

Yeah it was you I was talking to :slight_smile:

Regarding the “who did things first” thing, I realise there’s heaps of good riders who’ve never heard of RSU but I’ve spoken to a lot of different well connected people and I remain quietly confident that crankflips and all their variations are a pretty recent phenomena. If anyone has anything to say about it they just have to click the “edit” button. I think it’ll be good in years to come for people to be able to see when some of the tricks were first landed.

To be honest with you, I don’t consider “bounce the seat on the ground” to be much of a street move so if it’s gonna be a problem to duplicate it with a different name it’d probably best be left out of the “popular street moves” list.

The unispins are obviously one of the many crossovers between street and freestyle, however I’m not aware of any of the other street tricks listed (including seatwrap) being anywhere in the IUF list, except maybe a “hop twist” mentioned indirectly as part of a varial etc.

In fact, regarding the seat wrap I found this quote from D.Heaton:

There you go Kelly, you’ll have International celebrity status!

I imagine “treyflips” and things like that already have their International translations from skateboarding.

Thanks for the links John, I’m going to check out this “street freestyle” thing soon.

Out of interest, have you witnessed any freestylers bringing rolling unispins into their routines? From the videos of various unicons etc. that I’ve seen they always seem slightly sketchy at unispins but that could well be a misconception of mine (especially considering that some freestylers have landed the elusive 720). I’m just trying to think how recent the first ever rolling unispin might be, especially from seat-in?

Does anyone know if there’s a way to add or embed videos and animations in the wikipages?

Pete, you have done an amazing job on the list. I think videos of some tricks will be a huge help, things like varial flip are hard to understand for non-riders without a short clip of it in slow-mo.

I would love to help out too, I’m by no means the best but if I can would love to help you out. Are you planning on putting the Street Levels in there? I personnally dont think street is ready for levels yet, its too young.

Mike

I agree.
Level’s suck anyway! They force conformity and discourage individual style![B]

AndyC
[/B]

Street should never have levels. Too many tricks, with too big of stair sets. Don’t forget teh rails, or tech grinds. With add on combos in the ledges, with outro tricks. Too many possibilities. Let’s just keep it a free ride, unlevel set, but documented best possible. That’s even tricky because new tricks are being invented (first done) daily. Just keep it rad, and don’t do anything static (for the street/street riders of the bunch).

-Shaun J

You may well be right. But how many of those well-connected people were from outside the United States, for instance? Were they connected with people who don’t speak English, or don’t hang out with English-speaking people? We need to be especially sensitive to people outside our language of choice, because they may be doing lots of cool stuff but not bother with our forums and systems because it doesn’t pertain to them.

For example the whole unicycling scene in Japan. In some ways they started based on the stuff the USA was doing, but since then they have developed beyond that into their own stuff. Fortunately we get to see many of the top riders (but only the ones who can afford to go) at Unicons and things.

I agree. There are many others that could be included on a list of Street tricks, but this might bring more confusion than anything else. Either duplicate the entire Standard Skills List, or keep it as a separate list and use your listing just for stuff that’s not on the existing list. The Standard Skills list was never intended to be a complete list of tricks, so there’s plenty of room to add, even just among the flatland stuff.

As far as I’m concerned that should stand (like all the other historic claims) until we hear otherwise. I know similar moves have been done in the past, but I can’t say I ever remember seeing that exact one. Too bad we don’t have more (and/or better) videos from past competitions!

I don’t know if any rolling unispins have been done in Freestyle competitions. My guess would be “probably,” but I can’t think of specific examples. As for Freestylers being “sketchy” at unispins, you need to remember that all pre-existing unicycle tricks were effectively invented/developed/perfected by Freestylers over the past 130 years or so. I’ve seen plenty of examples of sweet, smooth unispins over the last 20 years. You have to remember that if you have only watched the videos available here online, you’ve seen a woefully tiny sample of the world’s Freestyle performers/performances.

No matter how good your levels system is, some people will always hate it. Don’t let that stop you. On the other hand, before developing levels, please remember what they’re most useful for. The idea of the existing “old” skill level system we have in unicycling is there to help guide people through developing a basic set of unicycle skills, in a logical order. In other words, they are most useful in club situations, where lots of riders are wonding what to do next, and for isolated riders (with no nearby clubs or riders), to know even what tricks exist, in a simple list.

That said, I think it’s still pretty early to start worrying about levels. So far we’ve had only one Street competition under the new rules. We’ve got a ways to go before the event even finds its own style. With all the videos that are circulating around, there are plenty of examples that new riders can see of what to try next.

Plus, Carol McLean will probably tackle Street riding as part of the Skills System she’s developing anyway.

If someone wanted to create a simple level system just to show people a possible route of what to learn in some order, that’s fine. A level system for street though outside of a learning path is dumb. Too many different tricks. Street has too many different enviroments to work around. Crankflip a 3 flat 2. Come on! So outside of a learning chart it gets ridicous.

-Shaun Johanneson

I think the problem wouldn’t be there are too many tricks, because you could just use the basic ones. There are way too many tricks in freestyle but there are still levels for that. The only problem, like you said would be the size and shape of different stairs and rails.

ok so ive got most tricks from the popular street tricks on video.
the only ones i cant do are:

720unispin
630 unispin,
360varial,
the triple flip,
360flip
and the double variant tricks

i havent started plants, grinds, or statics yet either.