Strance Occurence

A kind’ve strange, uni-related thing happened to me on the weekend… maybe its not that unusual, but its the first time anything like it has happened to me and even though I’ve only had a uni for a couple of months, I’ve been riding bikes for a long time!

Anyway, I’ve been learning to idle in the couple hours a week I actually have time to get on my uni(!), and a week ago, after reading some advice from the archives, I inflated my tyre to about 60psi (10 psi over the recommended maximum on the tyre of 50psi - someone suggested that tyres can be inflated to 150% of their usual pressure, reducing road contact area, and therefore friction, and supposedly making it easier to ride/idle - which it did)

This weekend (just gone), I got out of the city, and had some real time to spend uni-ing, so early afternoon I went out for about an hour and a half, just riding, idling, and to finish with, practicing some other stuff (riding backwards, mounting left foot, side mounts). So, nothing really out of the ordinary.

I got home, left the uni downstairs, went upstairs to get a drink, and ended up sitting down to read a magazine. About 20 mins later my girlfriend appeared, and we were just talking when all of a sudden we heard this loud bang/crash from downstairs (hmm, are bangs/crashes ever not sudden?). We went down to investigate, and after about 5 minutes of hunting around for a fallen uni or picture, or something that could have made that much noise, we’d turned up nothing. I then glanced over at the uni, and noticed it was still leaning against the wall, but… its tyre was looking sadly deflated. Further inspection, showed that the inner tube had burst, leaving a split about 7 inches long! I’ve attached a pic. The split was right in the area which is in contact with the ground when my left (dominant) foot is down.

So anyway, I just thought it was a bit strange, mainly because it was 20 minutes after riding that the tyre actually burst! Obviously having it overinflated would have contributed. Maybe there was a huge atmospheric pressure drop… I dunno, but it certainly put an end to any more uni-ing for the weekend.

Trenton

uni_blowout.jpg

Re: Strance Occurence

In article <trenton.gilbert.7t7mb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
trenton.gilbert <trenton.gilbert.7t7mb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)tube had burst, leaving a split about 7 inches long! I’ve attached a
)pic. The split was right in the area which is in contact with the ground
)when my left (dominant) foot is down.
)
)So anyway, I just thought it was a bit strange, mainly because it was 20
)minutes after riding that the tyre actually burst!

This is not very uncommon, actually. A blow-out is usually the result
of the tube getting pinched somewhere, and just about every blowout
I’ve had has been when I wasn’t riding the bike.

The most common place the tube gets pinched is in one of the spoke
holes–check to make sure your rim strip is properly covering all the
holes, and reposition or (better) replace it if it’s not.

If you were working on idling, you probably put a lot of wear on one
spot on the tire; check if you wore a small hole in the tire that the
tube could have poked out through.

It also could be the result of pinching the tube between the tire bead and
the rim when it was initially installed–sometimes an error like that won’t
show up until you pump the tire above a certain PSI.
-Tom

i’d say the tire bead was pushed off the rim do to said over-inflation.next time make sure the bead is staying seated on the rim and not slowly creeping off there.it may not be possible to over-inflate a tire on a low quality steel rim,do to the lack of a hook to grab the tire with.cheap rims are flat(on the inside of the side wall) with no hook for the bead.

Heck, I just realised my double typo/spelling error in the Subject…

Appears its not actually “strange” though anyway.

Trenton

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago when I resurrected my original uni and put a new tube in it. It happened sometime overnight when it was in my cellar. It probably gave a hell of a fright to my downstairs neighbours, their bedroom is directly above my cellar and the uni was hanging from the ceiling - nice and loud:o

Graeme

Re: Re: Strance Occurence

Wow, this is like when Mikefule was trying to explain to me how a crank puller works. I’m so confused. I can’t figure out how your downstairs neighbor’s bedroom is above your cellar. I have got to go to England some time…

PS - I got a crank puller. Used it. It’s awesome.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:00:09 -0500, nbrazzi
<nbrazzi.7ugj0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Graeme wrote:
>> *
>> my downstairs neighbours, their bedroom is directly above my cellar *
>
>Wow, this is like when Mikefule was trying to explain to me how a crank
>puller works. I’m so confused. I can’t figure out how your downstairs
>neighbor’s bedroom is above your cellar. I have got to go to England
>some time…

Well, in England neighbours get sandwiched sometimes between someone
and their cellar, that’s all.

Klaas Bil

Re: Re: Strance Occurence

That’s why they call their rooms “flats”.

john “learning more about the UK all the time” childs

Re: Re: Re: Strance Occurence

You’re more confused than you think, I’m not in England, I’m in Scotland. It’s a little village to the north of England with a population of 12, all of whom run around wearing kilts and shouting “Och aye the noo” at each other;)

To clear things up a little, I live in a flat (or apartment if you like) with 5 other flats in our block. The basement is divided off into rooms with each flat having one room, so our downstairs neighbour has our cellar and the cellar of our upstairs neighbour beneath them (as well as their own).

The cellar is great for storing stuff in, I’ve got loads of junk/grown up toys in there. The only trouble is I’m 6’2" and the cellar ceiling is about 5’6" so it makes it really easy to hurt your back carrying stuff in and out and even easier to hit my head of the girder that runs across the ceiling (ouch!).

Have fun!

Graeme