State Flag

What’s your opinion?

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/

Re: State Flag

Mark Lyon wrote:
>
> What’s your opinion?
>
> http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/

I like the red one better.

    ___________ ===================================================
    ___ /_/ / / / / Kevin Gilbertson - mail@gilby.com <a href="http://gilby.com/">http://gilby.com</a>
    / _ '/ / / _'\_ / ICQ: 12611076 AIM/AOL: UnicyclingGilby \_
    /_/_/,___/ / Free e-Mail and Webspace at <a href="http://www.unicyclist.com/">http://www.Unicyclist.com</a>
    /\/ /__________/ Original Unicycling T-shirts
    <a href="http://gilby.com/t-shirts">http://gilby.com/t-shirts</a> \__/
    ========================================================

Re: State Flag

Me too.

Kevin Gilbertson wrote:

> Mark Lyon wrote:
> >
> > What’s your opinion?
> >
> > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
>
> I like the red one better.
> –
> ___________ ===================================================
> ___ /_/ / / / / Kevin Gilbertson - mail@gilby.com
> http://gilby.com / _ ‘/ / / _’_ / ICQ: 12611076 AIM/AOL:
> UnicyclingGilby _ ///,___/ / Free e-Mail and Webspace at
> http://www.Unicyclist.com // /__________/ Original Unicycling
> T-shirts http://gilby.com/t-shirts __/
> ========================================================

Re: State Flag

I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the racism
of the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue. Instead it was a power
struggle between the north and the south, mainly over taxation etc., if I
remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob. with people being proud
of the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that did and
still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state flag is a sacred
thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I don’t
know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)

I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
thought if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but it
isn’t. So now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the
blue one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get rid
of those kind of boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The
civil war was over 100 years ago.


Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ “You
can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Mark Lyon”
<mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> What’s your opinion?
>
> http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/

Re: State Flag

It was “All of the heritige and none of the hate”

Brian Wilmot wrote:

> I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
> racism of the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not
> fought over slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue. Instead it
> was a power struggle between the north and the south, mainly over
> taxation etc., if I remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob.
> with people being proud of the south, but I do feel many use it to
> represent the hate that did and still does exist between races etc. I
> don’t think a state flag is a sacred thing as I do the US flag, the WA
> flag is disgusting(ugly green - I don’t know of any tree that is the
> color green they use on the flag)
>
> I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
> thought if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but
> it isn’t. So now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like
> the blue one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> rid of those kind of boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation.
> The civil war was over 100 years ago.
>
> –
> Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ "You
> can die but you’re never dead" - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Mark Lyon”
> <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > What’s your opinion?
> >
> > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/

Re: State Flag

Apparently you learned your history from a Southern history teacher. Also,
unless you are black, I really don’t think it’s your place (or mine) to
say that people who are offended by it are “a little off.” However, I do
agree that I like the new flag more anyway…

Brian Wilmot wrote:
>
> I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
> racism of the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not
> fought over slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue. Instead it
> was a power struggle between the north and the south, mainly over
> taxation etc., if I remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob.
> with people being proud of the south, but I do feel many use it to
> represent the hate that did and still does exist between races etc. I
> don’t think a state flag is a sacred thing as I do the US flag, the WA
> flag is disgusting(ugly green - I don’t know of any tree that is the
> color green they use on the flag)
>
> I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
> thought if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but
> it isn’t. So now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like
> the blue one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> rid of those kind of boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation.
> The civil war was over 100 years ago.
>
> –
> Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ "You
> can die but you’re never dead" - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Mark Lyon”
> <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > What’s your opinion?
> >
> > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
> >


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting web
site yet to be developed…

Re: State Flag

“Brian Wilmot” <bwilmot@jumpnow.net> wrote in message
news:9bj1fe$pin$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
> I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent
> the racism
of
> the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
> slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue.

That is utterly wrong, yes slavery was the main issue, you can use
sophistry to try and claim that it was a war fought on economic reasons
however that is still saying the war was fought over slavery in that the
plantation economy of the south could not exist with out slavery and that
is why the south was willing to go to war over abolition. The results of
the war prove this out when slavery was abolished the agricultural economy
of the south collapsed and that had nothing to do with war damage to the
economy and everything to do with the inability of the plantation economy
to survive without slave labor.

The stars and bars are a symbol of rebellion and hate to many people both
in the south and in the north and have no place on any state flag or
hanging on any state/public property. If someone wants to honor there
southern heritage they have every right to fly the stars and bars on there
home I would understand what that meant and stay away from that person but
they have the right to do so. However when you try and apply that to
hanging the stars and bars on public property you infringe the rights of
others and that is wrong and should be stopped.


Gary Stein gestein@starpower.net http://www.mischealthaids.org

“Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea massive,
difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.” (Gene Spafford)

> Instead it was a power struggle between the north and the south, mainly
> over taxation etc., if I remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no
> prob. with people being proud
of
> the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that did and
> still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state flag is a
> sacred thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green -
> I don’t know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
>
> I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
thought
> if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but
> it isn’t.
So
> now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
> one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> rid of those kind
of
> boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war was over
100
> years ago.
>
> –
> Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ "You
> can die but you’re never dead" - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Mark Lyon”
> <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > What’s your opinion?
> >
> > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
>

Re: State Flag

Well said. Oh, and of course Mississippi voted to keep their current flag.
What a shocker…

Gary Stein wrote:
>
> That is utterly wrong, yes slavery was the main issue, you can use
> sophistry to try and claim that it was a war fought on economic reasons
> however that is still saying the war was fought over slavery in that the
> plantation economy of the south could not exist with out slavery and
> that is why the south was willing to go to war over abolition. The
> results of the war prove this out when slavery was abolished the
> agricultural economy of the south collapsed and that had nothing to do
> with war damage to the economy and everything to do with the inability
> of the plantation economy to survive without slave labor.
>
> The stars and bars are a symbol of rebellion and hate to many people
> both in the south and in the north and have no place on any state flag
> or hanging on any state/public property. If someone wants to honor there
> southern heritage they have every right to fly the stars and bars on
> there home I would understand what that meant and stay away from that
> person but they have the right to do so. However when you try and apply
> that to hanging the stars and bars on public property you infringe the
> rights of others and that is wrong and should be stopped.


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting web
site yet to be developed…

Re: State Flag

well, I’m not saying those who are offended are off, as much as focused on
a single aspect of the issue. I feel I can make that judgement from my
point of view. Now maybe they disagree, but thats fine, but from my
perspective and knowledge I think many who oppose the flag think of it
merely as a symbol of slavery, when I believed there was more too the
issue. No I didn’t learn it from a southern teacher. The civil war was
fought over southern states rights. The north was growing, with industry
etc. and the south was being left out of the game. Slavery was an issue
that is involved in that but it was not the primary issue. Many who fought
with the confederacy weren’t slave owners. Shit, many in the north were.
The different comprimises were merely a stall tactic to prevent the civil
war. The south was losing control of the congress and thus they chose to
attempt to leave the union.


Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ “You
can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Jay Tierney”
<jay@jaytierney.com> wrote in message
news:3ADD3162.C1432F0F@jaytierney.com
> Apparently you learned your history from a Southern history teacher.
> Also, unless you are black, I really don’t think it’s your place (or
> mine) to say that people who are offended by it are “a little off.”
> However, I do agree that I like the new flag more anyway…
>
> Brian Wilmot wrote:
> >
> > I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
racism of
> > the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
> > slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue. Instead it was a
> > power struggle between the north and the south, mainly over taxation
> > etc., if
I
> > remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob. with people
> > being proud
of
> > the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that
> > did and still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state
> > flag is a
sacred
> > thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I
don’t
> > know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
> >
> > I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
thought
> > if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but it
isn’t. So
> > now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
> > one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> > maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> > rid of those
kind of
> > boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war
> > was over
100
> > years ago.
> >
> > –
> > Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/
> > “You can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mark
> > Lyon" <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> > news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > > What’s your opinion?
> > >
> > > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
> > >
>
> –
> Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

> http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
> Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting
> web site yet to be developed…

Re: State Flag

I don’t agree with keeping the stars and bars. But, I will continue to
disagree with you on the nature of the civil war. Yes, it was related to
the plantation economy, but I tend to believe that the issues were more
widespread. shit there isn’t anything wrong with a plantation, its the use
of slaves on a plantation that is the problem. You could say the
explotation of migrant workers is like slavery these days. I wouldn’t
disagree. The fact is that the south was in trouble economically, not
strictly because of the use of slaves. The addition of northern states was
taking the power away from their interests. The missouri comprimise is an
example of one used to delay the beginning of the war.

I think Slavery became the issue as the war drew on. I do beleive we need
to get over the south being different than the rest of the country. The
more southerners think of themselves in a Civil war frame of reference the
more separate they will become from the rest of america.

I would hope the bars are taken off the flag, but I don’t think the only
intention of them is to offends blacks. The stars are a symbol of
rebelion, but I disagree with hate. They are of disatisfaction with
their treatment and the treatment of their interests. Now, how a flag
flying at the capital infringes on peoples right I’m not clearly seeing.
I’m not trying to be bigoted or anything, but I really don’t see that.
It may be offensive, but nothing in the constitution gareentees no
offensive material.

Now that I’ve made myself out to be a possible bigot, or even a
misinformerd dimwit I will stop. I’ve almost convinced myself to the
contrary of my own point.


Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ “You
can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Gary Stein”
<gestein@starpower.net> wrote in message
news:9bk301$37u$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
>
> “Brian Wilmot” <bwilmot@jumpnow.net> wrote in message
> news:9bj1fe$pin$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
> > I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
racism
> of
> > the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
> > slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue.
>
> That is utterly wrong, yes slavery was the main issue, you can use
sophistry
> to try and claim that it was a war fought on economic reasons however
> that is still saying the war was fought over slavery in that the
> plantation economy of the south could not exist with out slavery and
> that is why the south was willing to go to war over abolition. The
> results of the war
prove
> this out when slavery was abolished the agricultural economy of the
> south collapsed and that had nothing to do with war damage to the
> economy and everything to do with the inability of the plantation
> economy to survive without slave labor.
>
> The stars and bars are a symbol of rebellion and hate to many
> people both
in
> the south and in the north and have no place on any state flag or
> hanging
on
> any state/public property. If someone wants to honor there southern
heritage
> they have every right to fly the stars and bars on there home I would
> understand what that meant and stay away from that person but they have
the
> right to do so. However when you try and apply that to hanging the stars
and
> bars on public property you infringe the rights of others and that is
wrong
> and should be stopped.
>
>
> –
> Gary Stein gestein@starpower.net http://www.mischealthaids.org
>
> "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea massive,
> difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
> mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." (Gene
> Spafford)
>
>
>
> > Instead it was a power struggle between the north and the south,
> > mainly over taxation etc., if
I
> > remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob. with people
> > being proud
> of
> > the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that
> > did and still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state
> > flag is a
sacred
> > thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I
don’t
> > know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
> >
> > I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
> thought
> > if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but it
isn’t.
> So
> > now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
> > one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> > maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> > rid of those
kind
> of
> > boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war
> > was over
> 100
> > years ago.
> >
> > –
> > Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/
> > “You can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mark
> > Lyon" <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> > news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > > What’s your opinion?
> > >
> > > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
> > >
> >
>

Re: State Flag

Yeah, their right to own slaves. The war was primarily about
slavery. Face it.

Brian Wilmot wrote:
>
> The civil war was fought over southern states rights.


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting web
site yet to be developed…

Re: State Flag

“War of Northern Agression” I believe? heh


Sean S. ICQ# 347632 sunymoon <AT> geocities >DOT< com

“Jay Tierney” <jay@jaytierney.com> wrote in message
news:3ADD3162.C1432F0F@jaytierney.com
> Apparently you learned your history from a Southern history teacher.
> Also, unless you are black, I really don’t think it’s your place (or
> mine) to say that people who are offended by it are “a little off.”
> However, I do agree that I like the new flag more anyway…
>
> Brian Wilmot wrote:
> >
> > I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
racism of
> > the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
> > slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue. Instead it was a
> > power struggle between the north and the south, mainly over taxation
> > etc., if
I
> > remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob. with people
> > being proud
of
> > the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that
> > did and still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state
> > flag is a
sacred
> > thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I
don’t
> > know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
> >
> > I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
thought
> > if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but it
isn’t. So
> > now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
> > one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> > maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> > rid of those
kind of
> > boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war
> > was over
100
> > years ago.
> >
> > –
> > Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/
> > “You can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mark
> > Lyon" <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> > news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > > What’s your opinion?
> > >
> > > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
> > >
>
> –
> Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

> http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
> Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting
> web site yet to be developed…

The South was guilty of physical slavery.

The North was guilty of economic slavery.

Not much difference IMHO - people are no longer physical slaves, but the
economic slavery continues everywhere . . .


JD

“Of course that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong . . .” Dennis Miller


Gary Stein wrote in message
<9bk301$37u$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com>…
>
>“Brian Wilmot” <bwilmot@jumpnow.net> wrote in message
>news:9bj1fe$pin$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
>> I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent
>> the racism
>of
>> the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
>> slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue.
>
>That is utterly wrong, yes slavery was the main issue, you can use
sophistry
>to try and claim that it was a war fought on economic reasons however
>that is still saying the war was fought over slavery in that the
>plantation economy of the south could not exist with out slavery and that
>is why the south was willing to go to war over abolition. The results of
>the war prove this out when slavery was abolished the agricultural
>economy of the south collapsed and that had nothing to do with war damage
>to the economy and everything to do with the inability of the plantation
>economy to survive without slave labor.
>
>The stars and bars are a symbol of rebellion and hate to many people both
in
>the south and in the north and have no place on any state flag or hanging
on
>any state/public property. If someone wants to honor there southern
heritage
>they have every right to fly the stars and bars on there home I would
>understand what that meant and stay away from that person but they
>have the right to do so. However when you try and apply that to
>hanging the stars
and
>bars on public property you infringe the rights of others and that is
>wrong and should be stopped.
>
>
>–
>Gary Stein gestein@starpower.net http://www.mischealthaids.org
>
>"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea massive,
>difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
>boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." (Gene Spafford)
>
>
>
>> Instead it was a power struggle between the north and the south, mainly
>> over taxation etc., if I remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no
>> prob. with people being proud
>of
>> the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that did and
>> still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state flag is a
sacred
>> thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I
>> don’t know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
>>
>> I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
>thought
>> if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but
>> it isn’t.
>So
>> now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
>> one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
>> maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
>> rid of those kind
>of
>> boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war was over
>100
>> years ago.
>>
>> –
>> Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/
>> “You can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Mark Lyon”
>> <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
>> news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
>> > What’s your opinion?
>> >
>> > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
>> >
>>
>

The revisionist version of the Civil War is all about slavery. But to the
people of the south who fought that war slavery was not the key issue.
Economics were. The North beat the South because of their own “slave
labor” forces, mostly European immigrants who worked on sweat shops and
factories for little money and no human rights at all.


JD

“Of course that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong . . .” Dennis Miller


Jay Tierney wrote in message <3ADE8CDF.59BFD24F@jaytierney.com>…
>Yeah, their right to own slaves. The war was primarily about
>slavery. Face it.
>
>Brian Wilmot wrote:
>>
>> The civil war was fought over southern states rights.
>
>–
>Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

>http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
>Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting web
>site yet to be developed…

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:07:49 -0400, JD wrote (in message
<9bpmtk$40j$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com>):

> The South was guilty of physical slavery.
>
> The North was guilty of economic slavery.
>
> Not much difference IMHO - people are no longer physical slaves, but the
> economic slavery continues everywhere . . .

Very well said JD!


Scott

Dohmation - Clay Animation and Flash Fun http://www.dohmation.com/

when you say the war was fought over slavery specifically you also get
close to labeling all southerners racists or slaveowners. There were many
who didn’t have slaves, yet they still fought. Underneath I see the
possibility for interpertation of your statement to say all white
southerners favored slavery.


Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ “You
can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “Gary Stein”
<gestein@starpower.net> wrote in message
news:9bk301$37u$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
>
> “Brian Wilmot” <bwilmot@jumpnow.net> wrote in message
> news:9bj1fe$pin$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
> > I don’t mind the bars that much. Those who feel they represent the
racism
> of
> > the south I feel are a little off. The Civil War was not fought over
> > slavery, that was an issue that secondary issue.
>
> That is utterly wrong, yes slavery was the main issue, you can use
sophistry
> to try and claim that it was a war fought on economic reasons however
> that is still saying the war was fought over slavery in that the
> plantation economy of the south could not exist with out slavery and
> that is why the south was willing to go to war over abolition. The
> results of the war
prove
> this out when slavery was abolished the agricultural economy of the
> south collapsed and that had nothing to do with war damage to the
> economy and everything to do with the inability of the plantation
> economy to survive without slave labor.
>
> The stars and bars are a symbol of rebellion and hate to many
> people both
in
> the south and in the north and have no place on any state flag or
> hanging
on
> any state/public property. If someone wants to honor there southern
heritage
> they have every right to fly the stars and bars on there home I would
> understand what that meant and stay away from that person but they have
the
> right to do so. However when you try and apply that to hanging the stars
and
> bars on public property you infringe the rights of others and that is
wrong
> and should be stopped.
>
>
> –
> Gary Stein gestein@starpower.net http://www.mischealthaids.org
>
> "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea massive,
> difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
> mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." (Gene
> Spafford)
>
>
>
> > Instead it was a power struggle between the north and the south,
> > mainly over taxation etc., if
I
> > remember my U.S. 1 correctly. So I have no prob. with people
> > being proud
> of
> > the south, but I do feel many use it to represent the hate that
> > did and still does exist between races etc. I don’t think a state
> > flag is a
sacred
> > thing as I do the US flag, the WA flag is disgusting(ugly green - I
don’t
> > know of any tree that is the color green they use on the flag)
> >
> > I saw a shirt on tv that said “not hate but heritage or something” I
> thought
> > if everyone looked at it that way I wouldn’t mind the bars, but it
isn’t.
> So
> > now that I’ve gone in one big circle I must say that I like the blue
> > one just because the red is just too much for me, and it still
> > maintains the proudness of the south. Although I think we need to get
> > rid of those
kind
> of
> > boundaries and think of ourselves as one nation. The civil war
> > was over
> 100
> > years ago.
> >
> > –
> > Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/
> > “You can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers "Mark
> > Lyon" <mark@marklyon.org> wrote in message
> > news:3ADCE8E2.7C750E10@marklyon.org
> > > What’s your opinion?
> > >
> > > http://www.clarionledger.com/news/flagvote/
> > >
> >
>

Jd said “The North beat the South because of their own “slave labor”
forces, mostly European immigrants who worked on sweat shops and factories
for little money and no human rights at all.”

That is another good point. I never thought about that, but I think that
the american flag should be destroyed becasue at one point the stars and
stripes stood for slavery in all states. What I mean is this isn’t a black
and white issue,<pun> but rather a difficult one where the flag symbolizes
different things for different people,a nd since I don’t live in Miss. or
any of those other states, I’ll leave it up to them to figure out.


Brian Wilmot http://www.jumpnow.net/ http://www.uglybillboards.com/ “You
can die but you’re never dead” - Red Hot Chili Peppers “JD”
<jd@alegate.com> wrote in message
news:9bpn35$42o$1@constitution.worldwebserver.com
> The revisionist version of the Civil War is all about slavery. But
> to the people of the south who fought that war slavery was not the
> key issue. Economics were. The North beat the South because of their
> own "slave
labor"
> forces, mostly European immigrants who worked on sweat shops and
> factories for little money and no human rights at all.
>
> –
> JD
>
> “Of course that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong . . .” Dennis Miller
>
> —
> Jay Tierney wrote in message <3ADE8CDF.59BFD24F@jaytierney.com>…
> >Yeah, their right to own slaves. The war was primarily about slavery.
> >Face it.
> >
> >Brian Wilmot wrote:
> >>
> >> The civil war was fought over southern states rights.
> >
> >–
> >Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

> >http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
> >Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting
> >web site yet to be developed…

Do some research. Yeah, they fought. I wonder why (slavery was the only
thing keeping the drifters superior to blacks).

Brian Wilmot wrote:
>
> when you say the war was fought over slavery specifically you also get
> close to labeling all southerners racists or slaveowners. There were
> many who didn’t have slaves, yet they still fought. Underneath I see the
> possibility for interpertation of your statement to say all white
> southerners favored slavery.


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

http://www.bannerbum.com - Banner Ad Design http://www.moovees.com -
Movies meet Cows http://www.jaytierney.com - shameless self promoting web
site yet to be developed…