Starting little kids on unis

My son is 3 and a half
has just learnt to ride a bike without stabilizers. something about which I am immensely proud.

He sees me working on my unis, and want sto help, and me taking my unis out to ride and is asking about riding and unicycle hockey.

so is this the right tome to buy him his own.

4th birthday is not to far away, or christmas…

I saw a picture of Kris Holm being holding a KH 12" for his daughter, was this a one off mock up? or are these really being made and sold?. if they are I think we want one to match daddys shiney blue KHs

whenever we get one, Im sure it will be lots of fun

The videos of those kids turning the cranks on their unis just inspired me to order a couple 16-inchers from Bike Island for my nieces.

Congratulations on your daughter’s achievement!

My daughters started riding at 8 and 9. My older daughter picked it up really quick while my younger daughter took a couple of months. I generally held the back of the seat and assisted them up the driveway until they used the wall on their own. They ride well when they feel like riding. My younger one free mounts and my older daughter hops around in the drive way. They are 10 and 11 now and only ride the unis to show off when their friends come over. They never want to come with me when I take my rides. I have extra unis in the garage so some of my family functions include a bunch of kids playing on unis in my driveway.

Smaller novelty unicycles suffer from the pedals being too far apart relative to the wheel size. The 16" was mildly useful for assisted (leaning on the couch) idling while watching TV. Not to discount learning how to mount and dismount and getting comfortable just sitting on the darn thing but it was not until they got (age 7 or 8) big enough for a 20" that we saw some real progress in my daughter while her little brother struggled with the 16". I don’t force it (well, we’ve all made bribes that we didn’t tell Mom about) just making sure to keep it light and fun. In the end, they will both ride plenty and when they do they will have their pick from my ever growing stable. For now they are the perfect speed on their bicycles (matching Trek MT240) to keep up with me on the local mounting bike trails. Just make sure and keep them behind you so they hear all the “quotes of the day from non-riders” about how it’s the coolest thing they’ve ever seen. That never fails to motivate a practice unicycle session back at home.

FWIW, my 7yo daughter is getting the hang of uni riding now. She’s had the unicycle for about a year, but only recently (February-March this year) made a big effort to learn. Her enthusiasm is still a bit on and off, but she can now ride a fair way unsupported if I help her start.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I got my 7 year old son a uni for his birthday. His wasn’t interested for a year. He finally got more interested when I told him we were going to the nationals. So he learned to ride and he was pretty excited to ride and that is all he wanted to do.

A week later, he didn’t want to practice anymore until I bought some cones so we could practice the slalom. He loved doing the slalom. Yesterday he dragged me outside after a long day at work so he could practice some more. It is amazing to see him lean into those turns. I still struggle on turns, even on a smaller wheel.

Then he wanted to ride past the teenage girls up the street. He has priotities!

It is funny what motivates him. I guess I will be building an obstacle ‘trials’ course soon to keep him going. Just a little added adventure to the ride gets him going.

But the most amazing thing is the lack of fear of falling! His sister at an older age took three months of struggle to learn because she was afraid of falling. My son learned to ride in 8 hours and seems to love to fall. He uses his pads to the fullest. I keep telling him he should at least try to land on his feet.

The adventure doesn’t motivate my daughter. For her it is riding by and impressing people. She will ride with me when it is in a populated area.

+1 for not pushing it.

I don’t have kids, but I had a really hard time learning (some paralysis in my legs). I had a lot of determination but a huge fear of falling, so I experimented w/ lots of setups and aids. Getting a 16" helped and switching to 114 and then 125 cranks helped further, mainly because it lowered my fear of falling.

So I think there should be a uni around w/ easiest to learn setup (& a few others so they can experiment & find what works for them). I briefly tried a 12" & I think that would have been even easier, mainly from less fear of falling. So I think 12", 89 & 102mm cranks.

Some other things I noticed made uni easier for me: juggling, piano, & biking w/o hands. So I think introducing a variety of coordination & balance activities would help & pushing none. Footbag comes to mind (I can’t do it, still can’t stand on one foot).

I’ve noticed kids are way more into an activity if their parents are, esp if both. So teach your spouse to ride and ride often (eg at “play time” grab your uni & practice skills/tricks)

+2 for not pushing it. Last summer I bought unis for my 6-year-old and 8-year-old. Even with me and my two oldest kids practicing for and then riding in a parade, the younger ones only practiced a few times and then lost interest.

Just on their own, they started practicing a few weeks back and now they are both good enough to ride parades with us this year!

Here’s a video clip from last week when all five of us rode together for the first time:

That’s great! :slight_smile:

I’d love to see a video of the juggling and piano playing without hands :wink:

I saw one of these for sale on craigslist and it made me think of this thread. If the fork wasn’t laid back at such an angle it might be a good training tool for unicycling. Just a thought. It’s cool seeing all of these young kids learning.

:stuck_out_tongue:
Fixed

My 8 year old daughter is still practicing and making good progress. I even got a freemount on video! :slight_smile:

Very nice! And she can even slalom. It’s funny to see that half way around the world, you use garbage cans for mounting like we do over here. :slight_smile: I see you’re from Norway. I visited there about 20 years ago for a business trip. I really loved it there.

A little follow-up for those who are interested. I was out riding with my daughter yesterday in the beautiful weather, and she was doing great. She has now confiscated my KH 20, and won’t give it back. :smiley:

A little follow-up for those who are interested. I was out riding with my daughter yesterday in the beautiful weather, and she was doing great. She has now confiscated my KH 20, and won’t give it back. :smiley:

A little follow-up for those who are interested. I was out riding with my daughter yesterday in the beautiful weather, and she was doing great. She has now confiscated my KH 20, and won’t give it back.

Ha! I’ll guess you’ll have to buy another one. :slight_smile: