Started at 44 just a week ago

It takes a while and it was about 9 months until I got my 26" and another 9 months until I got my 36".

And everyone’s different. I tried off road, flat, hills, different crank lengths, etc., etc. You’ll figure out what you like best, etc.

And BMX track, yeah, that can be fun, but it can be very challenging when you are still learning. A 20" for the year sounds right to me.

Have fun!

Thanks. And thanks for giving me a sense of how long it will take to get really good at it.
Today I practiced two hours on the unicycle. By the end of the day, I couldn’t even mount it anymore.
When you start something, you want way too much and way too fast.
I guess I have to become more patient.

There’s a fair chance you might have a family of unicycles at the end of the year. :slight_smile:
The thing to avoid though is using no name hubs, they will break.

I found idling hard, it took ages to learn (I only got it after riding 2.5 years, though I didn’t focus on it much, just every now and then) but I felt every time I tried there was no improvement till suddenly I got the feel. It’s still something that isn’t easy for me though and I can pretty much only do it left foot down, and only do it well on a 20". The skill of hopping came quickly though. So if you get discouraged with idling and backwards, try hopping. But don’t try it on a no-name hub as they will break.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: German category visibility?

Nah, I ride my 19" with 140mm 99% of the time. The 24" and 27.5" are hardly used at the moment so it really depends on your definition of fun. Bigger wheels with shorter cranks isn’t better. Just different :wink:

If you can keep up with that motivation for learning you’ll notice the progression comes really fast!
Just focus on a few techniques each session, maybe even one technique, and your body and mind will adapt quickly. I’ve been riding for less than 6 months now and my jumps are getting higher (62cm last pr), drops are getting bigger (>1m), riding gets more and more effortless (mentally), hops are getting more accurate and tricks are getting better too…

But I do ride between 1-2 hours every day…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.