standard freemount help

Hi,

I am having trouble learning my first freemount. I’ve read the
various sites with freemounting recipes, and they have been helpful.
It seems from the descriptions like the wheel should stay stationary
and my weight should stay on the seat.

When I put pressure on the seat, I either go over the wheel, or the
wheel pops forward and I come down.

If I do put some pressure on the bottom pedal, the wheel likes to pop
back, and the top pedal that I need to put my other foot on is moving,
making things difficult.

Should I be putting some pressure on the bottom pedal to keep the
wheel from sliding back, or should the wheel magically stay stationary
(and I’m doing something else wrong)?

Just looking for some hints. In the meantime, I’ll keep chugging.

I apologize if this description is unhelpful.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: standard freemount help

Andrew,
the answer is: it depends. Let me explain: If you would like to do a static mount (wheel does not move - as the term implies), you put just enough pressure on the lower pedal (which points towards yourself) to launch yourself onto the seat and the other foot onto the other pedal. Your body will have quite a bit of momentum and you will lose balance (falling forward) unless you start pedalling - and you are moving. Initially, you can block the wheel at a curb to prevent it from rolling backwards. That is how I started, the (unassisted = no curb) static mount was next. Rollback mounts did not work for me until my idling improved. This is different from what most people report. I leave it up to them to discuss the rollback mount in detail.
Also try:
http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/mounts/
Enjoy,
Fred

Hi, I had a bad time with static mounts too. The wheel always would roll on me. I found that a slight downhill would keep the wheel from rolling back, and also put me higher than the uni. Curbs seem to put me up too high. I also fround that practicing on grass would help, as the rougher grouond would keep the wheel from rolling out. Just keep practicing. Take a break if you need to and try again later, you’ll get it. Joe in Iowa

I learned without knowing anything about all these ways of mounting. All I did was put my strong leg on the pedal all the way in it’s lowest position, so the uni wouldn’t shoot forward or back when I stood on it.

Then, I just hopped up and tried to find my pedal with my other foot.

All I did mostly was hop right over the pedal with my foot, and land, try again, try again, oh it landed that time, fall forward, try again, ect…

It took me 3 one hour sessions before I could get a few rotations before I tipped.

Learning in the grass will help your wheel to not move, but that first pedal rotation is going to be way harder then if you are on pavement.

Keep at it, you’ll get it

You will get loads of advice, but it all boils down to what works for you. I was entirely self taught and never saw another unicyclist for 15 years after buying my first one, then I met a unicyclist who obviously knew what he was doing and I was clearly doing it all wrong. I still can’t do it right, but funnily enough, I manage to get on often enough to ride many miles a week. ;0)

Some things to consider, though. Either do a static mount or a roll back mount, but don’t try to mix the two techniques.

I learned a static mount. Bottom pedal at the very bottom. Plenty of weight on it to hold the wheel absolutely steady. Wedding tackle on the seat, then step up. Wave the arms about a bit and it works. (The mount, not the wedding tackle.)

An improvement is to have the seat just that little bit lower, and to hold the front of the seat. I normally mount with the left foot down, and holding the front of the seat with the right hand. Funnily enough, I still hold it with the right hand when I mount with my right foot down.

Another improvement to the static mount is to not put any weight on the seat until you have both feet on the pedals. So, left foot on the bottom pedal, right hand on the seat, spring up. Right foot on the pedal, find your balance, lower your bum onto the seat.

If you try a roll back mount, change the emphasis. Point the bottom pedal towards you. The crank shouldn’t be horizontal, but a bit lower than that. Now, put the appropriate bits on the seat, and push the pedal down. Don’t spring up and forwars. Just sort of ‘unweight’ the foot that’s on the ground. The foot on the bottom pedal will bring the uni underneath you. if you try to leap forwards, you will pass the uni as it goes in the opposite direction. Remember to wave. ;0)

A useful half way house is to learn free mounting on a downhill slope. Just enough slope that you need to point the lower crank back towards you a bit to counteract the slope. This way, the uni holds still that little bit better. As your freemounting improves, just adjust the ground to be a bit more level. Most carparks have a knurled adjustment knob under a grate in the left hand back corner. ;0)

Another trick is the ‘backstop’ mount, where you either use a naturally occuring lump in the ground, or a small chock behind the wheel just to hold it that bit steady. When I’m muni-ing, I tend to try to find a natural backstop.

Most of all, relax. If you spend half an hour practising the freemount and only succeed twice, you will end up thoroughly cheesed off. Practise it a bit at a time.

Good luck,
Mike

should i or shouldn’t i?

i promised myself i’d be less likely to pick arguments from yesterday on
nah, can’t let this go…

"Most of all, relax. If you spend half an hour practising the freemount and only succeed twice, you will end up thoroughly cheesed off. Practise it a bit at a time. "

i have to agree with the principal that states that u are not learning while u r frustrated and when u do find yourself frustrated with your inabillity to perform the required skill, pack it in for a while, try something else, have a glass of water, have a breather whatever

we all differ in a variety of aspects
our learning speeds and skills r different
our frutration tolerances also differ from person to person
u may well be able to practise for half an hour, get it right twice and keep right on going

when u get frustrated, give it a rest
don’t let anyone tell u when u should get frustrated

and keep your weight on the lowest pedal