stand up wheel walk

hi
does anyone have any advice on how to learn how to stand up wheel walk. Thanks :slight_smile:

I’m in the process of learning this skill. I could use some help too, but here’s what I’ve found out about this skill. First off, you need a unicycle with a good sized square fork and a fairly large saddle which you can grip well with your knees. Now find something or someone to hold onto. Put one foot on the fork and the other on the fork and the wheel. Hold the seat with one hand, and your support with the other, and stand up. Now slip the driver foot down so that it’s only touching the wheel, not the fork, and start making little pushes with it while holding onto the wall. When you are comfortable with this motion, let go of the wall, (or other support) and try to move by yourself. My record away from the wall is about twelve pushes, so I’m still pretty pathetic at this skill. Might help if I had a 20" instead of a 24." Anyway, the main thing I have found is that as with regular wheel walk, you should lean back slightly farther than feels comfortable. Also make sure you are learning stand-up wheel walk, not hunchback wheel walk.

Any one who’s really good at this skill, please reply.

hey guys,
first of all, you are right it will help to use a 20 inch instead of a 24 inch unicycle if you can. you are also right that you are going to want to stand up straight when doing it. clarification on the frame, you will want to make sure it is flat and not slanted diagonally like some are, if it’s slanted your foot will not stay on the frame. it will help to have a wall and maybe someone on the other side of you as well when you first start to get the feel of it. keep your one foot on the frame and the other on the wheel and push forwards on the wheel. i can’t think of much more than that at the moment but if i think of more, i’ll let you know!
good luck! it’s a cool skill to learn!
lindsey

Retraction!

Okay, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have just gotten the hang of stand-up wheel walk, and would like to correct the advice I gave above. You do not make little pushes with your foot. Rather, you stick your foot against the frame on the wheel, and kick the wheel forward, not so much with your foot as with your whole body. Then you lighten up the pressure and glide a little ways. The main function of the foot is to get you started, and to get a grip on the wheel. You don’t actually do much with it except change pressure. Doing it this way, I am also a lot faster, and so I don’t have to worry much about sideways balance anymore.

Thought I’d write this up while it was fresh in my mind,
Jonathan

I kind of disagree with jsm, me and my friend have just learn this skill, both with about max 20 pushes, but we both have different styles, i just use my foot to push on the tyre, whereas he uses his whole body to give himself momentum and just varies his foot pressure (like jsm said) and its true he goes alot faster, but he’s also nowhere near as smooth as me. i stick my pushing foot under my crown foot by tipping my crown foot’s heel down low and the toe high, allowing room for my other foot, then just push. this way ive done really smooth ones, that might be considered more artistic, and i think i have a bit more controll.

i find leaning back helps alot as well, and i think it’ll also help with stand up glide when i get to that stage.

i think its a matter of opinion either way, both ways are cool, i just prefer my method, anyone whos learning should just try lots of things and see what suits them.

iain