stand? pedals? mounting?

My Torker LX uni came with a “free” stand. How am I supposed to use it? The best I can figure is that a pedal goes in the hook on top and the end of the axle/crank sits in the bracket. Is the uni supposed to lay down with the seat on the ground? Since it’s called a stand, it seems that the uni should stand… :wink:

Second question. When I pedal, sometimes my feet slip into different positions, which makes it difficult to maintain balance. Is this something that will be remedied through more practice, or could it be due to the lack of grip on plastic pedals?

Third question. Free mounting. Why can’t I do it? :smiley: I’ve tried the “standard” technique of standing behind the unicycle and push down on the pedal in the back. I don’t like it much because stepping on the pedal results in a seat moving upward toward my crotch. :astonished: So I’ve been attempting to mount with the pedals close to 12 and 6 starting from behind in a similar fashion, stepping up to the pedal at 12 and riding off. Am I doomed to failure, or is this a common variation?

hey hey - -

I’m a new Unistar LX owner myself! As far as the stand goes, it’s a little tricky. Put the longer piece into the square shaped base so it stands on its own with the hook side up. The tip of the hook should point outward from the square base.

Then, the hook fits around one stay of the fork. Then, push the unicycle down so that one side of the hub at the bottom of the fork fits snugly into the little fingers. It’ll help if the pedal on this side is vertical and upward. It just takes a little fiddling and fighting with it.

As far as freemounting, I’m having the same problem! The only advice I can offer is hop onto the pedals and sort of stand, and ease onto the seat. Regardless, it’s hit and miss with me too.

Best of Luck!

who needs a unicycle stand? it’s ment to RIDE!

(and i have a torkerLX, my feet slip all over the place. ESPECALLY if they’re wet from rain or something)

DONT GIVE UP

Dont give up, keep trying. I have a torker lx 24, been doing it for 2 months. I can freemount all the time now. It took me about a month before I could do it reliably.

The easiest way I found was to put the pedals at 12 and 6. Step on the pedal at 6, the uni will be fairly stable, lean forward slightly and then put the other foot on the 12, then slowly rotate 1/4 turn back, and then you are ready to go.

Imagine stepping up and just leaning forward slightly, if you do not lean enough, you will most likely fall back, and leaning too fast forward will cause you to fall forward.

PRACTICE PRACTICE and you WILL get it I PROMISE

The first week, my privates got hit and sore, but after that, wearing bike shorts, I no longer have a problem.

As far as the feet. The foot you start with can be positioned exact, the second foot will end up in many places. You will find with time you are able to mount regardless where the foot is and then slightly wiggle the foot into proper position.

Have Fun. I rode two miles tonight. I will never stop riding, this is too much fun!!!

Re: stand? pedals? mounting?

“phlegm” <phlegm@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> So I’ve been attempting to mount with the pedals close to 12 and 6
> starting from behind in a similar fashion, stepping up to the pedal
> at 12 and riding off. Am I doomed to failure, or is this a common
> variation?

It is completely possible to mount that way, but doing so takes even
more skill than a standard mount. Just keep trying and you’ll get it.
I find it best to push the unicycle a little forward before jumpinp up
and putting weighht on the pedal.

Ken

I got a stand with my now incapacitated chrome Torker. Assuming it is the same type of stand, the best way to use it is to wedge the tire into the hook at the top and set the frame down so that it rests on the hook at about the same place the tire is wedged in. I tried a few other configurations and found this to be the most stable. Unfortunately, the stand does not fit a wider-framed unicycle like my Nimbus II

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:57:13 -0600, “phlegm” wrote:

>Second question. When I pedal, sometimes my feet slip into different
>positions, which makes it difficult to maintain balance. Is this
>something that will be remedied through more practice, or could it be
>due to the lack of grip on plastic pedals?
This will keep happening. But with more experience, you will be able
to get your foot back to a good position while riding.

>Third question. Free mounting.
<snip>
>Am I doomed to failure, or is this a common variation?
This is sometimes called the beginner’s mount. For freemounting advice
see “Learning to Unicycle”, downloadable from
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/uni_beginners.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I figure it’s pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 21:57 -0600, phlegm wrote:
> Second question. When I pedal, sometimes my feet slip into different
> positions, which makes it difficult to maintain balance. Is this
> something that will be remedied through more practice, or could it be
> due to the lack of grip on plastic pedals?
This is just a practice thing - as you get better, you will move your
feet on the pedals less and move your feet back to where you want them
more.

> Third question. Free mounting. Why can’t I do it? :smiley: I’ve tried the
> “standard” technique of standing behind the unicycle and push down on
> the pedal in the back. I don’t like it much because stepping on the
> pedal results in a seat moving upward toward my crotch. :astonished: So I’ve
> been attempting to mount with the pedals close to 12 and 6 starting from
> behind in a similar fashion, stepping up to the pedal at 12 and riding
> off. Am I doomed to failure, or is this a common variation?
I don’t know if it’s a common variation or not, but it definitely
doesn’t doom you to failure (I actually learned this mount first for the
same reason and have only recently learned the “static” mount). It is
something that takes a while to learn; just keep at it.

Iain McCoy <iain@mccoy.id.au>

This is mostly due to the lack if grip of the pedals and more practice will help this situation

Third question. Free mounting. So I’ve been attempting to mount with the pedals close to 12 and 6 starting from behind in a similar fashion, stepping up to the pedal at 12 and riding off.

When I first learned to freemount, I kept the pedals at 6 and 12, but gave the uni a slight push as I hopped on. This caused my rear foot to elevate a little and placed the front pedal at about 2 o’clock making it easier to get that first rotation

Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to be patient and keep practicing! I’ve only been at it for a week now, so I’m nowhere near being discouraged. However I am pretty sore with several bruises on my legs. It’s yet to be seen if that will keep me off of my uni today… :wink:

regarding the stand, i tossed mine out after it got tangled in the spokes trying to put my Uni in it.

to practice feemounting you can either put a brick behind your tire to keep your wheel from rolling backwards when you get on.

check unicycle.2ya.com for a video tutorial, i watched it the other day its great!

if you dont have a brick use the curb.

Re: Re: stand? pedals? mounting?

This evening I’ve practised my freemount with the extra push you describe and this makes mounting a lot smoother and it also becomes easier to go directly into idling. Thanks Kenny!

phlegm Wrote:
> My Torker LX uni came with a “free” stand. How am I supposed to use it?
> The best I can figure is that a pedal goes in the hook on top and the
> end of the axle/crank sits in the bracket. Is the uni supposed to lay
> down with the seat on the ground? Since it’s called a stand, it seems
> that the uni should stand… :wink:
>
> Second question. When I pedal, sometimes my feet slip into different
> positions, which makes it difficult to maintain balance. Is this
> something that will be remedied through more practice, or could it be
> due to the lack of grip on plastic pedals?
>
> Third question. Free mounting. Why can’t I do it? :smiley: I’ve tried
> the
> “standard” technique of standing behind the unicycle and push down on
> the pedal in the back. I don’t like it much because stepping on the
> pedal results in a seat moving upward toward my crotch. :astonished: So
> I’ve
> been attempting to mount with the pedals close to 12 and 6 starting
> from
> behind in a similar fashion, stepping up to the pedal at 12 and riding
> off. Am I doomed to failure, or is this a common variation?
>
>
> –
> phlegm
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> phlegm’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36142
Forget 12 and 6,try 9 and 3 .To this day Ive been very
sucessful,however I’m closer to 10 and 3.Twelve and six lead to
deadspot city,a place you can never start fro0m until you are good at
Fmounting.

cheechee

Re: Re: stand? pedals? mounting?

You probably need a new hub then.

12 and 6 is working pretty well. The better I get at twisting my hips to turn and balance, the easier free mounting is becoming. I stuck it several time in a row today.

Another thing I don’t like about 10 and 4 is that I tend to clip my ankle bone with the crank.