spray-on truck bed liner for frame?

I’m thinking of having this local shop coat my frame with a special “spray-on” truck bed liner! They heat it up the coating to 200 degrees, then use a special machine to shoot it on; it can be applied in various thicknesses, but I will probably go fairly thin. The result is a very durable, textured finish, and they said it would only cost $20! Then I thought, what about having the cranks coated (a little thicker) to help protect them from getting beat up doing grinds and/or crank grabs. It is supposed to be almost as slippery as teflon, so I’m wondering if it will make grinding actually easier…I don’t know, but I really like the idea of having them protected, at least while I’m learning, and more likely to otherwise do more damage tomy cranks. The only question I forgot to ask was, is it difficult to remove? Oh, they told me it’s also very easy to paint over with regular spray paint. Thoughts? :stuck_out_tongue:

What a cool idea!

Don’t worry about removing it; assume this is a one-way street. You can always charge admission later on for people to see it.

Chances are that you will have to remove the surface chrome or whatever before having it done; but that too would be worth it just for giving this absolutely cool idea a shot.

Do it and join the ranks of those who have put time, money and sacrifice into improving unicycle technology. Of course, you have the obligation to report on it, let others critique it, take photos, tell us when/if it breaks, blah blah blah.

Do it do it do it!

:slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

If it’s the kind that’s smooth and slippery I’d say go for it. But there’s this kind of bed liner spray that’s all rough and clumpy, that wouldn’t be good.

EDIT something’s funny with your quote…

[/QUOTE]

It will be finished by tomorrow (Saturday), and yes, I thought it would be a good idea to first have the frame stripped, so I did that. I’m also going to have them do my coker frame as well! I will post pics later Saturday!:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

I asked them and they told me they can vary the texture from pretty smooth, to looking like the back-side of a Nestle’s crunch bar!:smiley:
Of course, after a few grinds, it would smooth out quite a bit I’m sure

If that were the case then the coating wouldn’t be as durable as initially advertised.

We’ll see. All I know is it’s gonna be vastly more durable than paint or even powder coating.:slight_smile: