Sponsorship Qusestions

I have been wondering about getting sponsored. I know that I’m definatly not very good right now, but I still want to find out about it. I have a few questions:

1. What do you get if you are sponsored?
  2. What do you do for the company?
  3. What are some companies that sponsor unicyclists?

If YOU are sponsored:

1. Who are you sponsored by?
  2. What do you get from the company?
  3. Please put a link to you video (if you made one)
  4. What does the company ask you to do?

Thanks!:slight_smile:

Check this thread posted just a while ago in JC. It will address some of your questions. There was also a thread on this topic not too long ago. Try the search and you should find them. :slight_smile:

It depends on who sponsors you, what that company has to offer you (uni-parts, etc), and whatever deal you make.

A company might give you some t-shirts, ask you to come to events, and get you to advertise for them by various means.

661 seems to be a popular place to go for now, but that only gets you discounts on shin pads. You have the potential to be sponsored anywhere. Personally, I’m working on a deal with a local business I know that is not affiliated with unicycling, and they are offering to partially pay for any unicycling gear I need.
Really, it all depends on who you talk to and what kinds of deals they can give you. You could be sponsored by a bread company and still get a good deal. But of course, it’s all in what you are looking for and what you are willing to do for sponsorship.

also, can you be sponsored by more than one company?

depends on your contract, you have to remember it is a business contact. They sign you because they expect something in return, also all companies are different.

Sure you can. I have four; Unicycle TV (Olaf is sponsoring my website), Uniproshop, sixsixone and Twins Bike Shop. :smiley:

Of course, we all can’t have the big time sponsors that Tiger Woods has: (Likely he makes millions $$ for each one! But his sponsors also reap millions from his endorsements!)

• Buick
  • Nike
  • Gatorade
  • Accenture
  • Titleist
  • American Express
  • General Mills
  • Gillete

Most sponsorships = way of validating mediocre riding.

Honestly, you might get a discount on 661 pads if you make a video, but it won’t mean anything.

Unless you’re really good, no one substantial will hire you.
Kris holm has only 7 riders, Koxx one riders are all gods, and you’re not good enough for qu-ax, UDC or anyone else.

“You’re”? Who are you referring to there? It’s all about loving uni, and even a 661 sponsorship is still something, and it’s better to get 50% off the stuff you buy than full price. And everybody has to start somewhere.:slight_smile: I’m way to old to ever even hope to get to the same skill level of the top riders…many still in their teens! But I do ok for an old guy–who could easily be their GRANDfather!:o

Not you Terry :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m actually really happy to see your UTV sponsorship, that’s pretty cool.
Plus, you’ve made more videos than most people put together, which is good advertising.
AND, you’re two years older than my dad! :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, thanks, and ouch! That last one hurt, lol.:(;);):stuck_out_tongue:

i want to get really good, so i can get a sponsorship from Funyuns.

who are the mediocre sponsors between KH/K1 and 661?

KH and K1 are all pretty legit sponsorships.

661: unidudedx, unibikeling, hungry4uni, beeper (I believe)

just off the top of my head.

sorry what i meant to say is, what are some medium level sponsors (better than 661 and worse than KH/K1)

Bedford, UTV, Qu-ax , and UDC. But you still need to be good for them. I would say 661 is easy, they are hard, KH/K1 is very hard.

What are you talking about? Being sponsored means being supported by a company, and then helping them in turn. Most companies would be more interested in hiring someone really nice who makes everyone like them but isn’t that great of a rider, rather than an asshole who is a great rider.

Don’t worry, you’re 7 years younger than my dad.

So is anybody here sponsored by a company that is totally unrelated to unicycling like maybe some fashion brand or so? For example Carhartt, Vans, Nike, Pearl Izumi etc… Just wondering.

Isn’t 661 technically unrelated to unicycle? They don’t actually sell stuff “for” unicyclists, just stuff that has gotten popular among them. Vans probably has some helmets but aren’t those technically related to unicycling?

shaun J had something going w/ some shoe company and KH was sponsored by a bike company…

lets put it this way… are you better than most GOOD unicyclists?
no?
well then hate to be the negative nanny or whatever, but you aren’t going to get any REAL sponsorship.

threadjack… what happened to trialsin’s uni team?