Spoke lacing new pattern

I need a bit of help. I’m lacing an inner disc hub h32 to a Braus rim with rope spokes. I laced it with steel spokes in a 3 CROSS pattern, reached the right tension, sustituted all the steel DISC SIDE spokes (one by one) with my experimental ones. Now my spokes elongated at their max and are too long about 1,5cm exactly matching for a 4 cross pattern. Now the question: can I keep the steel side spokes at 3x and swap the rope side spoke to a 4 cross? Can you link me something to understand how avoid to unlace all the wheel while doing it? Thank you for your help… you’ll allow the unicycle word to develop ever further with the lightest wheel ever built

I don’t think there’s a problem having different crossing patterns on each side.
Actually, my @lobbybopster schlumpf adapter is laced 2 cross on the disc side and 3 on the other side.
Why did you decide to only do half the wheel with regular spokes?

Edit: sorry wrong picture, it still has the 3 cross on both sides

Roger Musson’s “Professional Guide to Wheel Building” book has a pretty short section entitled " Cross combinations on the same wheel", it doesn’t give a lot of information though.

The book isn’t free (it is 9 GBP) and is available from his website: Wheelbuilding book for cycle wheels 7th Edition . In my opinion it is really good value if you are interested in wheel building in general. I have seen older versions lying around on the internet in the past though…

This is the table of contents:

Well, I mean… is there a way to unlace a 3 cross and rebuild a 4 cross pattern moving no more than 2 or 3 spokes at a time?

I did build several wheel in everykind of uni setup during last 8 years, so no prob building a wheel, but today I’m thinking about a problem I’ll meet tonight or tomorrow night and I prefer starting with an idea before inventing something

Half a wheel is used for find the right tension for the experiment half. Than I’ll record the pitch of every single experimental spoke (they are homemade so they’re all different a bit) and than I’ll lace the other half. Than I’ll achieve a same tension first side while tensioning the second side… well I’m not able to explain it, it is just a suicide of hours of sleep, but I think I can do it and I need an idea before spending a few hours just to solve the pattern dilemma

1 Like

Sheldon has a short section about this and takes an old car wheel as an example, when you need lateral and longitudinal strength - as car wheels stay vertical when you go left or right:

1 Like

You should be able to do pairs of spokes - unscrew a spoke, move it to its new location (2 holes farther down the rim). Then move the spoke that was in that target location, to its new location where the first spoke came from (2 holes up the rim).

It might be bad for the hub flange to relace with a new pattern, since the spokes deform the hub metal a little, and now you will be deforming it in a new place (but I doubt it matters, it’s more of an issue when you change directions with the spoke).

Thank you all! I understand watching you picks. Don’t know exactly why my brain cannot figure it out, now it seems easy and simple.

Thank you! Willl post within a few weeks!

1 Like