splined?

what is the difference between splined and not splined. ive heard of it but i dont know what it means? :thinking:

Firstly, it amazes me that you comment about the strength of hub/cranksets and frames when you don’t know the difference between splined and square taper.

But back on topic, a splined hub has an axle that has a bunch of little “ribs” going down the ends of it. The crank has them on the inside of its self, and they interlock with the hub ribs to transmit the forces of riding. The alternative methods are to have a tapered square on the end of the axle, which the crank is pressed onto (cotterless or square taper). The worst way to do things is to have a flat spot machined onto the axle and press a tapered pin into the crank to take up the forces of riding (cottered). The splined design exposes the most surface area as possible to the crank, and thus is generally the strongest. It is also halpful that the general profile of a splined axle is circular, so it has fewer places to allow cracks, while square taper leaves 4 convienent little corners to drive cracks into the crank.

Even with splines a crank can be weak, though. Splined cranks are nice because they are generally of a tubular steel construction, which so far has proven to be stronger than many aluminum cranks and cheap solid steel cranks Good quality aluminum splined cranks do exist, though, and they are plenty strong.

Hey, I did the same thing, but NOW I KNOW!! Finally, I get it.