Splined Cranks on a Non Splined Hub

Can a pair of splined cranks fit on a non splined hub? Sorry for the stupid question, but I just started getting into the whole spline thing.

In a word: “No.”

Ok, thanks a lot.

To add to elmer’s rather short answer. Splined cranks and hubs from different manufacturers are not interchangeable (except in a few rare cases). For example, you cannot put Profile cranks on a KH hub. All the different manufacturers have their own spline designs and most of them are proprietary which means competitors can’t use them. Trying to mix and match would be like trying to put a round peg in a square hole. When you go splined, you have to stick with the same manufacturer for the hub and the cranks.

There is the odd exception isn’t there? Like Haro (bicycle) cranks fitting the KH?

Yeah i have heard this too.I think you should be able to fit bmx cranks to a qu-ax hub as they are just bmx cranks anyway i think…
Yeah splined cranks are a totally different shape, the hubs are kinda shaped like a gear but the pointed bits are not pointed i have a picture not sure how well you can see it though, Non splined is just a square basically.
Ben

whereitcamefrom.jpg

Yup. There are a few exceptions. There are some other brand cranks that will fit on the KH hub. There are also some other brand cranks that will fit on the Profile hub. But you really have to know what you’re doing when you mix and match different brands because you can end up with cranks that don’t fit properly.

Incidentally, trying to put a splined crank on a non-splined hub is exactly trying to put a square peg in a round hole! :wink: