Special landmark today

I am very happy (and tired). In the past two weeks, I’ve been training relatively rigorously for the California MUni weekend, and today, I reached the 100 mile mark. I started exactly a two weeks ago, and when I looked at my odometer yesterday evening, I saw that I only had 13.5 miles left, so I went out to do exactly that. I don’t know how many miles of those hundred are off-road, but I figure at the very least, I’ve done 50 on the trails. I think it’s time to take a break from distance riding and work on some techniques, like seat out hopping. I think I’ll take a nap now.
:smiley:

centurion.jpg

Re: Special landmark today

Way to go! If you keep this up between now and October, you’ll be in great
shape. We’ll have to hold some kind of difficult athletic competition while
waiting for dinner, after the Downieville Downhill!

—Nathan

“paco” wrote
> I am very happy (and tired). In the past two weeks, I’ve been training
> relatively rigorously for the California MUni weekend, and today, I
> reached the 100 mile mark. I started exactly a two weeks ago, and when
> I looked at my odometer yesterday evening, I saw that I only had 13.5
> miles left, so I went out to do exactly that. I don’t know how many
> miles of those hundred are off-road, but I figure at the very least,
> I’ve done 50 on the trails. I think it’s time to take a break from
> distance riding and work on some techniques, like seat out hopping. I
> think I’ll take a nap now.
> :smiley:

Wow! That’s really impressive. Like my older brother once said during a 9 mile hike in Colorado National Park… “Miles are LONG!

WOW you hit 100.0 exactly and then carry your uni the 13.5 miles home and take a picture! No wonder you’re tired.

Re: Re: Special landmark today

Uh, I think Nathan should be in charge of that one. As for me, my “difficult athletic competition” will be the actual waiting for dinner!

Congrats on your 100.0, Paco. I have to get a speedo on my Coker so I can start racking up some miles as well…

have had my comp for a littel over 4 weeks now.

Reads 287.8 odo
and 20.7 Mx speed on a down hill on coker

now all i ned is a beter coker wheel hehe the other day i got mine untrue from some stone stairs on a trail and bent the cranks hehehe but buy far uni hocky on a coker is the hardest hehe that just wares you out.

Hope to see you all at the Muni weekend

Nate

HE HE

had to

Congrats Paco! 100 miles in 2 weeks, that is absolutely WOW!!! Were all those miles on the one and only 24" ShoKH Nas Muni?

We have the exact same Schwinn Computer as yours. I have had mine for 1 month and 5 days. My odometer reads a huge, are you ready for this… yippeee… 39.6 miles. Hey, quit that. Don’t you laugh. Now you’ve hurt my feelings. Sniff, sniff. But I am SLOWLY increasing my miles.

I ride in the middle of the day, during my lunch break. It is very hot, is that a good excuse. I just can’t seem to ride more than 5.5 miles or so. It’s not my legs, or my heart, but my BUTT that gets worn out. I guess over time, my butt will get tougher. :smiley: That sounds horrible. Maybe it’s a different seat I need.

Again, Paco regains his spot on the top of my Hero Chart. Go Paco Go! You 'da Man! --chirokid–

Re: Re: Re: Special landmark today

I don’t think I want to see a unicycle wearing a speedo. That’s just weird. But hey, if you want to do that in your private life, that’s up to you.

Chikroid: Yeah, that was all on my SHaKH NaS. After the entire thing, the only thing wrong is a some scratches on the seat bumper, some wear on the tire, and a loose bearing holder, which can be fixed with an allan wrench in about 30 seconds. I’m going to check and see if the wheel is true, but it feels all right to me. What a great feeling to have a unicycle that I don’t have to be afraid of breaking! Steve Howard is still on the top of my hero list, and probably will be until I break his frame!
BTW, I can spend more time riding than most people because I just graduated from college, and haven’t found a real job yet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Special landmark today

No no no, paco, I think he means he’s going to wear a speedo and sit on the unicycle… that’s why he said he needs to get a speedo on his unicycle.

By the way… can you post or email my wonderful hand pictures sometime?

Here’s a little pic I thought you might enjoy. If you want, Tron, you can tell them how you did it. Otherwise I’ll make up some really cool story.

Oh, and the other pics and videos can be found in my gallery .

hand.jpg

“It’s actual size, but it seems much bigger to me.” -TMBG

I was in downtown Provo practicing Capoeira (with my Muni close by, of course) in the middle of the night when all of a sudden an Italian ninja pounced on me from behind. I squiggled out from under him, like Capoeira masters do, did some funky cartwheels, at which point he chuckled (like Italian ninjas aren’t supposed to do) and did some flying flip kick thing, which I dodged, and he (or she) lunged at me with steel claws and scratched my hand. Satisfied, the Italian ninja hopped on his motor-powered two-wheeled abomination and sped away, and got run over by a semi truck while trying to do a stunt sliding underneath it. I of course, hopped on my trusty one-wheeler, and wobbled off, knowing I’m safe because I can’t go fast enough to do the sliding-under-semi stunt. (Unless I’m trying for a speed record on a rocky mountain trail with only one wristguard).

The other possibility is that paco and I were muniing about, and I decided to go for a speed run on rocky terrain. Bad idea number 3. I saw a lovely rock on the ground, or rather, didn’t see a lovely rock on the ground, which threw me into a little wobble at 16mph on my 26-incher from which I didn’t recover and went for a stomach slide… but I was way too far from home plate to be safe. That was bad idea number 2. I managed to dig about in the car beforehand and find a single wristguard. The other was still at home, and I didn’t want to drive all the way back and deprive paco of another half hour of cool morning muni. That was bad idea number 1. So I had a nice comparison… my right hand had a small “poke” from a sharp rock or something on the side of my thumb (looks like I wrote a dot on my hand with a magic marker), and my left hand… well… you can see that for yourself. It looked a lot worse the next day though… infection set in, and ooze and pus was everywhere. I did clean it, mind you, but infection still started. That H2O2 really foams up when there’s that much blood… and it stings enough to bring you to your knees. So I did some standard stuff like soaking it in saltwater for 15 minutes, picked off the loose pus, applied liberal amounts of neosporin, and found a bandage big enough to cover it. The infection faded away after one day of such treatment, and it looks much better now. It still feels like I’m donating blood through my hand though. Constant pain… not so much from pressure, but it’s always there. So… wear wristguards. Preferably both of them. And be prepared to find gravel in weird places for the next few days if you try the unicycle slide… I even had some in my belly-button.

Take your pick.

Random numbers are cool, but random stories are sooooo much better.

Bad idea number 4…

You ripped a hole in your Moab MUniFest shirt. But at least you came out of it smiling.

hey everybody. i’m a friend/student of David Poznanter, i’m mentionng this for Nathan if he remembers me, and i’m going to be in Santa Cruz for the next school semester during which time the mountain unicycling weekend is going to be happening. i only have a KH20 and i have not done much long riding or much MUni at all, and i am by no means a beginner but i mainly focus on street trials and freestyle so i just don’t have much experience with MUni. i want to go to the mountain unicycling weekend, especially if people i know are going to be there but i’m not sure if i could do it. is it a lot of really intense riding? would my 20 inch suffice? it seems most likely that the notion is absurd since i only have my 20 inch trials uni and very little MUni experience but since i’m going to be in Santa Cruz while this is going on i thought i’d ask. also, does anyone know if Bruce Bundy is going?

You probably won’t want to do Downieville on a 20", but Beau Hoover rode Moab Slickrock (12 miles?) on his 20", so you should be able to do the other days okay. Of course, I say this with no previous experience on those trails. And, you could compete in the games afterwards. A 20" might actually have the advantage in some of the games.

paco just say your cuts and holes in your t shirt are battle scars! you won the fight…the unicycle did not give in easily though :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey now… paco didn’t get the battle wounds, that’s me. He’s just holding the camera. (I haven’t yet developed my telekinetic powers well enough to take a picture of myself without using my hands or feet).

Yeah, but you’re getting pretty good at riding with no hands and your feet off the pedals. That’s close, right?

I suppose gliding does kinda look like I’m using some kinda supernatural powers. (At least to blissfully ignorant non-unicycle folk). Cool.

thanks for the feedback. but i’d really like to hear from nathan seeing as how he might remember me and be able to give me some more suggestions. also, about going to the whole thing since i’m only 16 and i don’t live with my parents in Santa Cruz, i’ll probably be looking for someone to go with. does anyone have nathans email? thanks.