Southeast Mtn Unicycle Festival

Yes, there will be kids and other non-rider family members attending the festival. Plus the campground has a lake with a swimming area for your family to enjoy. They can also follow along with a training wheel!

Do your 12 and 13 year old ride yet?

Hey Ben,
My wife and 12 yr old can ride rather well and 13yr old can go a little ways in a straight line. This will be my first time riding with other riders. I cant wait. :smiley:

Okay, just a little clarification. In the quote above, does the word “includes” mean:

1. If I bring 3 non-riding camp followers with me that they are covered under my $25 fee

or

1. Non-riders have to pay $25 each, too?

Also, what’s the age cut off there? I’ll have one that can’t walk yet, one that can’t ride yet, and an older mother-type one to watch them.

Registration questions/Camping

Thanks Peripatet for the great questions. I am changing the form online to make this less confusing.

Children 10 and under can attend the festival free of charge. If non-riders want a tee-shirt and to join us for a scheduled meal after our ride Saturday during the awards ceremony, then we ask them to pay the $25 registration fee. Also, non-riders are encouraged to join us during the rides with a training wheel if necessary.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Ben

PS - Information about camping should be posted later today. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Sweet. Money inbound!

We’ll see everyone next month.

Guess I need to practice some muni now.:stuck_out_tongue:

:roll_eyes:

Tee shirt size was only asked for me. the girls, I’m sure, would love a tee shirt. will you have all sizes available.
Thanks Ben,
Rah-Bee

PS. I like the way you keep so casualy refering to a b!ke as with training wheel.:smiley: That’s probably what my 13 yr old will be doing.

Camping Information - Lake Powhatan

Hello Everyone,

Here is information about camping at Lake Powhatan as promised.

1. Each site can hold 2 cars, 2 tents and 8 people. Some campsites have water, sewer and electricity. You may want to try to connect with someone ahead of time and share a site. In order to make reservations or to look at a campground map click here.

2. 60% of the campground is “Walk Up” or first come first serve. The hosts will be staying on Lakeside Loop site #50. We will have a MUni Fest banner to hang by our site. There are 13 more “Walk Up” sites on this loop. If you can get to the campsite Thursday or Friday morning, I was told you wouldn’t have any trouble finding an empty Walk Up site.

3. 40% of the campground can be reserved. It costs extra - $10 more- to reserve a site this way. You can reserve a site on Big John Loop or Hardtimes Loop. Big John loop is the closest to Lakeside Loop (where MUni fest hosts are staying).

Bent Creek Loop is adjacent to Lakeside Loop and has 12 more Walk Up sites available.

T-shirts

We are currently working on t-shirts. Anyone rider or non-rider who pays the $25 fee will receive a t-shirt. PM me with your daughter’s sizes and I will make sure they are on the list. I changed the registration form a little so that we can get non-rider t-shirt sizes from the form.

Thanks for your help Humblebee!

Thanks for the info Ben.

I’m willing to split the cost of a campsite if anybody is interested PM me. Unless my plans change I’ll probably cut out of work a bit early on the Thursday before and drive up; probably be in the area Thursday evening or later. If somebody is in the area to get a spot on Thursday that’s great, otherwise I’ll just find some campsite Thursday night then work it out the next day…

I was wondering if we’re going to be 100% roughing it or are we planning to go into town or around to eat? I just want to know so I can plan what to bring accordingly? See you all soon.

Options

Lake Powhatan is only about 3 to 4 miles from several restaurants - fast food and sit down. There is a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Subway etc. and a really great Mexican restaurant that lots of bikers hang out at called Papa’s and Beer. I’m not sure what people are planning on doing for food, but camp food is awesome too!

That’s awesome that you are willing to share a campsite with someone. Especially since you plan on coming Thursday evening. You’ll easily be able to grab one of the “Walk Up” sites. I hope someone takes you up on the offer.

Ben

i am considering this event but I am new to muni. What does it take to ride this event successfully?

Thanks for your interest in the festival Kombi. Bent Creek (the trails surrounding Lake Powhatan Campground) is great because it has something to challenge every rider. Some trails are quite tame, while others are very challenging. The festival is all about encouraging new riders and challenging seasoned riders. We’ll probably ride at least 10 miles each day of the festival. We have a plan A, but there is also a plan B. Also, our plans may change depending on the skill level of the people who participate.

How much rough terrain riding have you done? How long have you been riding? What kind of unicycle do you have? How far can you ride?

You can always bring a unicycle and a bike to hop on when you get tired.

Ben

Hey all, I’m going bring up what spare unicycle parts that I may consider selling/trading and would encourage others to possibly do the same. We could have a MUni swap meet! I don’t have a lot of stuff, but some spare frames that I’ll probably never use and maybe some tires…

To the poster and anyone who’s unsure if you shoudl attend, for lack of experience or lack of gear:

You don’t need to be a pro, we all started somewhere, we all have different skill levels, different levels of fitness, and different levels or confidence. I’m bringing a bunch of extra gear, so are others, so just come out for a day or all three days, this is THE EVENT of the southeast!

The trails in Bent Creek vary from miled to wild, there will be opportunities for all leves of riding, even road, but defitnitely double track and mild single track. You can awesome tips and build skills riding with other municyclers, what a blast!

We already reserved a space for our pop up trailer and we’ll more room for tents. Everyone should try and camp out at the the lake. You can reserve a space, I think we’re in space 21 in John Loop.

If you can make the drive, just DO IT!

portsmouth ride

hi there do you guy’s ever ride around portsmouth.
im new to this and i would love to meet more peeps on uni’s

blue76     :sunglasses:

Is there a posted schedule with times for the group rides on friday, saturday evening, and sunday?

Ride schedule

Yes. If you look on our website you can find this information. http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/scheduleofrides.htm

The group in charge of the festival is still debating a few of the routes, and the rides are subject to change based on rider skill level. We are planning on doing a bunch of riding this weekend to explore a couple of options. Please check the website for updated information in the next two weeks.

Planning for MUni fest is always a great excuse to ride a bunch :slight_smile:

Ben

I haven’t been yet Blue76. What kind of riding do you have in Portsmouth? Are you considering coming to the Asheville MUni Fest? It is a great way to meet people. We’d love to have you!

Ben

http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/

Ben: Just trying to figure out what uni’s to bring. Obviously my MUni but I was thinking about bring my trials uni as well; are there any good places to do trials where we’re going to be? Is anybody else interested in some trials sessioning somewhere? I’m no pro, probably a solid intermediate trials rider… I also thought about bringing my 36er but I don’t know if would get any use, unless someone just wants to try it out? Same goes with my 5’ giraffe… If I don’t hear anything back I’ll just plan on bringing my trials and MUni…

Gear to bring

Great questions MuniSano,

You’re welcome to bring as many unicycles as you want. There will be opportunities to ride everything - at least around camp. There are some rides we are looking into that you’d definitely want to be riding a 24 inch because they are more technical. Check out our website because we will be adding some photos soon to show just how technical some of these rides can be.

Over Labor Day weekend, Jeff Ray and I explored a new trail that had a dried up river bed for a 1/4 mile. It was very technical and tough terrain (lots of loose shifting rock) to navigate, even with a 24 inch wheel. Nothing you’d want to try and tackle on a giraffe :slight_smile: If you had a trials unicycle, there could be some great riding in some of these areas. There are lots of rocks and logs to roll down if you wanted to practice your trials riding down the trail.

There will be an opportunity to ride your 36er if you bring it along on Saturday after the Tour de Bent Creek (the 12 mile ride). We have several riders in our community that ride 36 inch wheels and one option will be to go for a road ride with Bill Spears Saturday afternoon. There will also be a very technical MUni option in North Mills River.

Bent Creek or Lake Powhatan has a little of everything, but you could ride a lot of it on a 29er if you have one.

Again - thanks for the questions!
Ben

http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/

also check out http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/scheduleofrides.htm