so, so stupid...

Tonight I’ve been a total idiot. Having posted earlier about my cold, and having already had a fall earlier, I decided to go for a mild night ride. I know I probably shouldn’t have as for past couple of days I seem to have been technically below par i.e. falling on stuff I should be able to do easily and I’d attributed to this minor cold.

I just had this big urge to ride and I thought that I would test a theory that body heat can help kill viruses as unicycling generates loads of body heat.

Anyway none of this is the stupid bit- that occurs when I decide to finish the ride by cutting down West Street, which, on Friday night is crawling with the drunken pub crowd.

Bizzarly I encounter a juggler who has just knocked out his tooth with a club! In ten years of juggling I’ve never seen this happen. I should have taken it as an omen, but instead I continue.

At this point things intensify, possibly slightly feverish from the illness, hot from the ride, surreal from the fact that I’m on a Muni with lights on a street full of drunks, I decide to get out of it as quickly as possible.

In daylight getting through pedestrians is easy, be respectful, indicate through eye contact and body language where you’re going, and, if uncertain, dismount.

I realise that this isn’t going to work at night with a mob in this state, so, suddenly the street becomes a human slalom course, I’m bombing along zig-zagging, dodging bodies that are unaware of me till I’m well past.

The illusion of speed and the reality of speed that comes with riding at night, combined with the fact that I’m actually doing a really good job of getting through them creates a massive rush and, suddenly, I’m as close to being in ‘The Matrix’ as I’m ever likely to be.

This is the stupid bit; I ride off the pavement to cross a side road and immediatly become aware of headlights on my right…truck…going to hit me…no time to think…an instinctive feeling that stopping is not a good idea…I accelerate; combined with the fact that the truck brakes means I just escape being hit.

Feeling like the stupid b*****d I’ve just been, I ride off vowing never to do anything like that again.

Having done several posts on safety and on the fact that we’re ambassadors for unicycling, I apologise to you all for being an idiot.

Dave,

What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger. Or in this case, one hopes, a bit wiser. Glad no one, including you, was, except possibly in the pride department, hurt.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: so, so stupid…

onewheeldave wrote:

> This is the stupid bit; I ride off the pavement to cross a side road
> and immediately become aware of headlights on my right…truck…going
> to hit me…no time to think…an instinctive feeling that stopping
> is not a good idea…I accelerate; combined with the fact that the
> truck brakes means I just escape being hit.
>
> Feeling like the stupid b*****d I’ve just been, I ride off vowing
> never to do anything like that again.
>
> Having done several posts on safety and on the fact that we’re
> ambassadors for unicycling, I apologize to you all for being an idiot.

Apology accepted. I’m glad the truck missed.

Adams’s Law: Everyone is an idiot at least some of the time.
–Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert

Everybody has a plan until I hit him.
–Mike Tyson

Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that.
–Lyle McDonald

Re: so, so stupid…

Translation for those of us in North America:

This is the stupid bit; I ride off the sidewalk to cross a side street and immediately become aware of headlights on my left…truck…going to hit me…no time to think…

You can deflect responsibility for that stupid mistake by claiming to be a tourist from the USA. :slight_smile:

I love that feeling!

Reminds me of the Matrix Reloaded, Trinity says to Morpheus “You always told me to stay off the freeway, u said it was suicide!” to which he replies “Then let us hope i was wrong”

U are the one dave!

I’m not in ‘The Matrix’ today, my cold has progressed and I’m sat here with a ocean of mucus in my sinus’s!

Amazingly, I’m having to restrain myself from going out on the Muni; I think I’m addicted.

Dave, that sounds like a fantastic little adventure you had.

I remember a few months ago my friend and I unicycled to another of our friend’s house. We watched movies, hung out, etc, and by the time we realised it was time to go, it was one o’clock in the morning. The only way for us to get home is to unicycle down some downtown streets which are filled with crazy people and drunks/pub-goers coming out of clubs and pubs. so first we had to get through the people coming out of the club. those people are basically jerks, because they young and like to throw things, but we managed. then we had the crazy people to conted with. A man yelled to us “dance with that thing!”. so my friend and i jump off out unicycles and start dancing with them…ok…it was the MAN who was crazy, not US…i swear… anyhoo, so we went on our merry way. then we get to the street with the pubs. Pub after pub after pub. we rode down this street, and people in pubs on either side started yelling and cheering us on, it was great. yeah, so i like pub people much more than those damn club people.

um… this story went nowhere, sorry for wasting everyone’s time.

-Mike

Slightly tipsy people are often really enthusiastic, which can be fantastic fun… :slight_smile:

Phil