Snow tire

The current issue of On One Wheel has plans on how to make a snow tire, with
rivets and steel cable. Has anyone tried this? Is it really safe on all winter
terrain(snow and ice)? I used to ride in the snow, but after hitting an ice
patch and going straight down I have been quite shy to ride if there is a
possibility of any ice. Will the snow tire really help here? I do miss riding in
the winter.

Beirne bkonarsk@mcs.kent.edu

Re: Snow tire

According to Beirne Konarski:

• The current issue of On One Wheel has plans on how to make a snow tire, with
  • rivets and steel cable. Has anyone tried this? Is it really safe on all
  • winter terrain(snow and ice)? I used to ride in the snow, but after hitting an
  • ice patch and going straight down I have been quite shy to ride if there is a
  • possibility of any ice. Will the snow tire really help here? I do miss riding
  • in the winter.
  • Beirne

The author who wrote the bit in the OOW is a native of Rapid City, SD. I can
imagine that he has tried this out and it will work. I personally wouldn’t do
this just to ride in the winter. When I was a student at the U of MN, I rode my
uni year round to class ~1 mile. I found that I just had to ride slower, and
make fewer quick turns/stops/starts when there was snow/ice.

My absolute worst fall in the winter occurred when I was riding home late after
a night class. Simultaneously, my shoelace got caught in my crank, I tried to
turn a corner, and I hit this wonderful patch of ice. The only thing hurt was my
pride, but luckily no-one was around to see my wipeout!

I wouldn’t stop your winter unicycling, but just bundle up more (to pad the
falls), and go slower.

Constance R. Cotter| cotter.cae.wisc.edu |

This could have gone any number of places, but I decided to revive this 12 year old thread.

HOW TO - Make unicycle snow chains - from Makezine, June 2006.

Raphael, how dare you resurrect an ancient thread for as mundane a purpose as supplying the community with useful information? The standard has been set: ancient threads should be revived only for the purpose of adding a sentence or two of inane, misspelled commentary. Emoticons and at least one OMG! must also be added.

Let’s try to snap to the program here, shall we?

lol

I made some for my mtn bike, I ran a couple hundred sheet metal screws from the inside out of my tire. Then I cut an old tube and laid it over and around the inner tube to protect it from the screw heads rubbing and making a hole. When assembled, it looks totally badass and you will not slip. Just use a tire that is more narrow so the points don’t hit the frame.

Here’s another discussion of snow tires.

It seems there is two ways to handle snow.

With a good base a regular skinny tire is great since it cuts through the snow and grips bare ground. Otherwise a wide tire floats on top of the snow and then you need alot of grip. That is where chains would come in.

The other is when there is snow on a ice base. Then floating is good, but studs on a regular tire is also a good option since it cuts to the ice then the studs grip.