small step towards idling

It’s been a long time since I felt like I made a leap (as opposed to hop) in my learning to unicylce. Slow progress is more my style. I think some of the reason may be that I feel my next thing should be to jump up onto the pavement and I’m a bit too chicken to try at the moment. I keep practicing rolling down them instead.
However, today I did an idle. I’ve been trying for ages and I can do about 3 totally out of control ones but today I rode along, did a controlled half-ish revolution back and then forwards and continued riding.
Small steps but it felt like progress.
Cathy

Cool!

I’ll have to work a bit on my skills.

Idling will be a good skill to learn.

Innes

idle

Wow, that’s great Cathy!
Wish I can idle on my Coker.
I am looking for some overhead pipe to hold.
Someone wrote the best way to practice is to hold on to something overhead and slow let go.
Everytime I stop and attempt backward revolution, I topple over like a pancake… flop. :roll_eyes:

I to learnd to idle today (HIP HIP Horray to us that are still learning):smiley:

i can idle pretty well on my torker 24" LX

Great Cathwood on your learning to idle.

I’ve been learning to idle this spring. Spending an hour or more each night practicing in the driveway. The way I’ve been learning is to practice doing figure eights and circles in the drive way stopping often to attempt a idle or a hop. It’s great exercise.

I’ve made good progress (for 50 year old man), now I can idle with either foot and hop. Just lately I’m been able to ride back-wards.

I had to build leg muscles and learn that I wasn’t going to fall. Every day I get smoother, my theory is that a person won’t do well until the muscles are strong. If your muscles are a growing, it’s going to be shaky.

I’ve been using 24" Nimbus muni. Except last weekend I put longer 150mm cranks and larger size pedals on my 20" Torker LX. The Torker is much easier to idle, especially to go backward when set up this way. At least for me.

Good luck.

I’m working on idling too. One day I was getting it down pretty good, but since then haven’t had so much luck. I’ve been focusing mainly on seeing how far I can ride lately…4 miles yesterday. I impressed myself. I just got some gloves and a helmet though, so I think I should start practicing more skills like idling and backwards.

The video of idling on unicycle.2ya.com has helped me a lot to visualize how to keep myself up while idling. That site also taught me how to static mount. Thank god for static mounts! It makes things so much easier.

If we’re doing idling questions, how do i better my 1 foot idle on giraffe? I can do it fine on my Muni, with one foot on the crown, but because i can only rest my foot against the vertical tube on the giraffe i can’t put much force on the frame, so the idle gets smaller and smaller until it stops and i fall off. Any tips anyone?

No fair you buhead! xD I have been trying that for AGES! But i cant get it! :smiley: Lucky! :smiley:

Re: small step towards idling

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, kington99 wrote:

> If we’re doing idling questions, how do i better my 1 foot idle on
> giraffe? I can do it fine on my Muni, with one foot on the crown, but
> because i can only rest my foot against the vertical tube on the giraffe
> i can’t put much force on the frame, so the idle gets smaller and
> smaller until it stops and i fall off. Any tips anyone?

Attach a jubilee clip around the frame, so you have something (albeit
small) to rest on?

I’ve seen this done on round-shouldered frames to aid one-footed work. Not
sure how well it would work on a giraffe, but it’s worth a try. Maybe put
rubber round first so you don’t scratch your chrome/paint.

Cheers,

Stu

:wq

Cheers Stu that sounds like a good idea, i think it’s prefectly do-able without any kindof of aid eventually but it might be easier to learn your way. Sorry Klown did you mean one foot on the Muni or the giraffe? On the Muni it’s easier than normal idling, even though i have to get my foot up really high to get it on the crown. As for the giraffe, i can’t get it either really, i’m practicing the same way i learnt to giraffe idle originally, by riding inside my room and using a cupboard and set of shelves to support me when i fall to the side, however i don’t think you can do this in a normal height house, maybe outside somewhere. Oh and if you giraffe inside i suggest you wear a helmet (i’m sure this comment will inccur the wrath of ian Smith if he sees it) because it’s easy to hit your head on the walls on the way down.