Slogans for MUni Weekend shirts needed today!

Hi MUni fans,

We’re putting together the 2002 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend
T-shirts. In fact, the order is going to be placed in a few hours. Looking
for feedback on some “slogan” ideas.

What we will have on the back of the shirts is a full-scale tire track from
a 3" Gazzalodi tire. The MUni Weekend information will be on the front. What
clever thing might you put along with a giant tire track?

Here are some ideas we had, in no particular order:

• I’m of a single-track mind

• I have a single-track mind

• Singletrack,
    Single Wheel,
    Let’s Roll.

(A subtle 9/11 tribute, which should be meaningful in itself, and for the
people who missed the 2001 MUni Weekend as a result of it)

• Just Cruzin’

(Santa Cruz. Get it?)

• Ride & Roll

• It’s the Un Cycle

• Ride on This

• Nope, just this wheel.

• Single-minded

• One way to have fun

• A single way to have fun

• one
    singular
    sensation

• One Tired Shirt

• Talk dirt to me

• Singletrack.
    Single-Minded.
    Single-Focused.
    Cruzin’ Together.

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“Next time, I don’t want to camp the old fashioned way. I want the new and
improved way… WITH NO BEARS!!!” – 10 year old nephew Austin Miller, on
our recent camping experience (in a flimsy tent, with a bear trashing the
campsite outside)

“2002 One Wheeled Cruz”

“Let’s Roll A Fatty” (reference to tire size of course)

“2002 UNI-TY Cruz” (yes, another Santa Cruz reference)

:slight_smile:

C’mon, John, make up your mind. At least, don’t confuse the issue after you’ve posted so much about it. Eh?
Yes, politics!/No, politics! ??? Pick ONE.

That said:

(I guess they won’t want MY slogan ideas now…)
But here they are anyhow…

*Retire? NEVER!

*Thank God he only had ONE WHEEL!

*I’m TIRED! What’s your excuse?

*I’m TIRED!.. but happy to be on a MUNI!

• If you’re not TIRED, you haven’t MUNIED!

One wag on his wheel

MUninitiated

The love of Muni is the root of all…

Where’s what?

Well balanced but crazy

Wears the wheel? I suppose it does.

*Wears the Wheel? ONE way or another!

*Where’s the Other Wheel? Look on my back!

*Where’s the Other Wheel? I Forswear the Other Wheel! / The Other Wheel I Forswear!
OK…, yeah, maybe this is a bit obscure… but, what the hell? “They” deserve it!

(living in a non-English-speaking country, I totally miss out on the chance to retort to the not-so-various Unicycle taunts… ) I can still fantasize, though…

Re: Slogans for MUni Weekend shirts needed today!

From Sendhair:
> C’mon, John, make up your mind. At least, don’t
> confuse the issue after you’ve posted so much about it.
> Eh? Yes, politics!/No, politics! ??? Pick ONE.

You may need to read my posts again. I know they’re long (and skip the duplicate), but I hope I didn’t leave people with the wrong impression.

This is neither a Freestyle performance, nor a big convention. This is a T-shirt. MUni Weekend is a lot smaller and a lot less international than UNICON. Everybody that bought plane tickets to go to MUni Weekend in 2001 was unable to fly there, grounded, with tickets in their hands on September 13th. A few of us drove.

A UNICON T-shirt has to be a lot more conscious of its international audience than we do.

The purpose of such a shirt is to:

• Promote MUni Weekend
  • Show others that the wearer is a mountain unicyclist
  • Promote unicycling
  • Look cool or fun enough for the wearer to buy/wear it

I assume you are not actually offended by the phrase “Let’s roll”, but rather making a point.

But I appreciate and value your feedback. Your point of view from outside the US is good for a lot of us Americans to read. Please keep it up!

I like these:
*Thank God he only had ONE WHEEL!
*I’m TIRED!.. but happy to be on a MUNI!

But my favorite so far came from sned:
“2002 One Wheeled Cruz”

Stay on top,
John Foss

[Random Aside]

:smiley:

Phil, just me

Fully rigid single wheel fixed gear singlespeed
FRSWFGSS
(That’s what I call my unicycle when I don’t want to call it a unicycle)

Or
Singlespeeding the way it was meant to be

Or
Product testing labs for Santa Cruz Bicycles

John,

Well, thanks, but maybe you missed the fact that I am an American, too. I don’t live within the borders of the 50 states at the moment, but I was born there, and lived there for the first 3/4ths of my life.

Given the “smallness” of the world today, due to the relative ease of international travel and communication (particularly the communication that is possible on this very media we are now communicating on… the World-Wide Web… the Internet)…
I sincerely argue that your stance that “this is just a T-shirt” is antiquated and insensitive to the rest of the world… and the “rest of the world” is not quite as far away from you as you may imagine…

Here in Japan, for example, for the past several years, used T-shirts from the States have been very trendy. Entire shops have sprung up in high-rent retail districts which specialize in the kind of T-shirts you’d expect to find in any given thrift shop in America. Quite a few times, I have seen my own students wearing T-shirts from high schools whose name I recognize as rivals of my own high school days. Point being: T-shirts travel, man! No T-shirt is an island!

I’m offended by the phrase “Let’s roll!” within the context of the plane that “went down” just 25 kms from my parents’ house… not one bit of the remains of that plane was bigger than an average metropolitan telephone book… draw your own conclusions…

Nobody has been allowed to listen to the tapes of that plane’s last moments except (supposedly) the families of those who were aboard… For whatever reason we are not allowed to hear those last vocal moments… It’s tasteless to knowingly produce a T-shirt bearing a phrase from that event as a slogan… for ANY event… let alone a Muni event which is so far-removed from the hijacking and “crash” as to be absurd and actually sick if somehow connected.

That was my whole point, John.

You felt justified to attack the PR team in China, but you are wishy-washy and self-contradictory when it comes to this stuff about “patriotism” connected to What Happened Last September 11th. Internationally speaking, … and that’s truly the ONLY way you can now speak about those events and the events that have followed… it’s just plain insensitive and IMO blatantly rude and militaristic to publicly commemorate and/or condone anything pertaining to those events in the name of Unicycling.

Shame on any of you if you do.

If you think you only live in your own little local community, try existing without gasoline or chocolate or bananas or new Unicycle tires for a week or a month.

How can you go wrong with

Roll a Fatty
Cali Muni Weekend

Your state has leagalized Pot for “Medical” Porpoese why not make fun of it a bit.

So how fat is that thing you’ve had between your legs?

Mountain Unicycling

TShirts should be fun. That way people will there them with pride and they dont just get lossed somewhere in a closet.

I like:
"Thank God he only had ONE WHEEL! "

Ben

Chex…

Sorry, but…

Just because YOU are amused by inferences to controlled substances coupled with sexual innuendo does not mean that everyone else is. Nice try, but try again.

Good grief! It’s 2002 for whatever’s sake!

Do we have to be 1970 teenagers forever?

Drugs are not cool. Ask anybody who’s addicted. Go ahead. Ask 'em.

Just mean,

Well without drug references or sexual innuedo’s I’m all out of ideas…

I would go with Ricks idea then, Wheres your other wheel? Look on my back.

Look mom I can do a wheely… see thats crap I got nothing without drugs or sex nothing

Chex,
I just can’t accept that attitude, and you shouldn’t, either.

I’m guessing you probably don’ t have much of either of those things right now, in reality, anyhow. You don’t have to admit it… it’s a fact of life. That’s why there are so many drugs and sex jokes. Conversely, there are very few water or electricity jokes… two things which are so common we take them entirely for granted… Everyone’s got 'em,… so,… no jokes. You’ve got water and electricity, right? Make a T-shirt slogan! You’ve got a pile of dirty laundry, doncha? Dirty dishes in the kitchen sink? Lots of Off-Topic stuff to say on Unicyclist.com’s forums? Now, THAT’S a Universal commodity!

Santa
Cruz
Uni
Meet

Stop me and buy one 0800…

Singlespeeders … Easy life!

All Wheel Drive

What ever you’re thinking of saying I’ve heard it before!

Leo White

(N.B. the last slogan’s my name !)

Would it scare you if loads of people start walking around with a “Leo White” t-shirt?

:smiley:

Phil, just me

> see thats crap I got nothing without drugs or sex nothing

Not even punctuation. Stick with unicycling, Checkernuts. It may help you find things in your life besides those.

JF

Woah!

More good feedback from Sendhair

> you missed the fact that I am an American, too.

No, I knew it. This makes your words more meaningful to the Americans who have never been anywhere. You understand what the Americans are talking about, plus you have the additional background of your international experiences.

> I sincerely argue that your stance that “this is just a
> T-shirt” is antiquated and insensitive to the rest of the
> world… and the “rest of the world” is not quite as far
> away from you as you may imagine…

Been there. I have T-shirts from everywhere. If someone chooses to look at my T-shirt from the International Circus Festival I went to in Latvia, and feels offended by the content on it, too bad. They’re probably taking it out of context.

More on your subject, if they get offended based on the correct context, also too bad. I have measured the relative “strength” of the message, and find it extremely mild. Though some may disagree, as you have, I consider it mild enough to go with.

Again, it’s a small, relatively local event by world standards, and I would not put the same message on a UNICON or other international shirt.

> I’m offended by the phrase “Let’s roll!”

Fortunately, the slogan works just as well without the connotation. In other words, you can just think of it in the “pre 9/11 sense.”

> within the context of the plane that “went down” just
> 25 kms from my parents’ house…

Ouch! I have experienced a large passenger jet crash even closer to my house, but that definitely puts you and your family must closer to the action than most of us.

> … let alone a Muni event which is so far-removed from
> the hijacking and “crash” as to be absurd and actually
> sick if somehow connected.

We are all pretty far removed, those of us that didn’t lose friends or family members. On the other hand we were all affected. The amount a person was affected is a personal thing, and cannot be measured. The event had a direct affect on the 2001 MUni Weekend and that’s reason enough.

> You felt justified to attack the PR team in China, but you
> are wishy-washy and self-contradictory when it comes
> to this stuff about “patriotism” connected to What
> Happened Last September 11th.

Am I being contradictory? I apply different standards to this event and a UNICON, as I apply different standards to what should be appropriate within and outside of a Freestyle performance. Outside of that I don’t mean to contradict myself.

I don’t feel I’m making an attempt at patriotism. To me, patriotism is actions rather than words. My intention on the shirts is to be commemorative. I hope it’s not too controversial, or we’ll end up with a pile of unwanted shirts. Unfortunately this feedback came in after I had to run to the printers and put in the T-shirt order.

We ended up with this on the back:

singletrack.
single wheel.
let’s roll.

And on the sleeve,

2002 one wheeled cruz

You’ve got me thinking twice about the let’s roll though, and there may be time to change it. What do others think?

Stay on top,
John Foss

These two are my favorites.

Also, I’m wondering if It’s possible to buy a shirt if I dont have the money to get out for the ride? (or where).